Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I don't think this Vodafone announcement precludes there being an iPhone 5, it merely points towards the likelyhood of an iPhone 4S.

It is unlikely the iPhone 5 would have a bumper being a new design, and as such the list of bumper compatible phones would not include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Obviously if there is an iPhone 4S and a 5 then it stands to reason that the 4S would be compatible with the bumper and the 5 will not. So it is no surprise that it isn't listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

mad muffin wrote: »
    Obviously if there is an iPhone 4S and a 5 then it stands to reason that the 4S would be compatible with the bumper and the 5 will not. So it is no surprise that it isn't listed there.

yeah, but your hardly suggesting that a 4s and a 5 will both be released tomorrow!?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    yeah, but your hardly suggesting that a 4s and a 5 will both be released tomorrow!?

Not really suggesting anything, as I don't have a clue as to what is being released.

Just saying that it shouldn't be taken as evidence that there isn't going to be a redesigned iPhone 5.

Since that's what I'm hoping there will be. :p

My wife will be mighty disappointed if I decide to hold on to my 4 and she has to continue using my old 3G. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Vodafone DE are just playing the game. They only thing they know is that if there is an "S" iPhone 4 their cases will fit, so what's the harm in adding in the potential model to the drop down list and get some free publicity.

They don't know and if it turns out there is only an "S" it will be lucky guesswork on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

oops.:eek:

It's being blown out of all proportion, is easily fixed and for the exploit to be used you'd have to unwittingly install malware. I have one of the affected phones and I couldn't give a ****e tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

getting excited now (only 24hrs to go!)

i really cant see Apple releasing two version (a 4s and a 5)

it just doesnt make sense to me.

or maybe i just want the 5 to be released next year when my contract runs out - its very unlikely i will get a new model no matter what upgrades (unless it irons my shirts !)

anyway all to be revealed tomorrow !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think the announcement will be 5pm our time? I think it's normally 6pm but now it's happening in September rather than June/July maybe it's affected by Daylight Savings???

Anyway most rumor sites and tech sites will be at the event and cover it with live blogs of the going on's. Engadget is nearly a positive. I caught the iPad one there in Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, it's 6pm our time. DST is currently in effect in the US (it just starts earlier and ends later than us). SF is 8 hours behind us. The event starts at 10am PT; that's 6pm our time.

No, it's 6pm our time. DST is currently in effect in the US (it just starts earlier and ends later than us). SF is 8 hours behind us. The event starts at 10am PT; that's 6pm our time.

I just googled it and it gave me 5pm. My bad.

Here's Engadget's helpful post on the event tomorrow. Gives a few local times and also a link to their liveblog tomorrow. They always have good seats with a clear view for their photo's.

Wish Apple still streamed the events :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wonder if Apple are reading all the hype, while looking sheepishly at their new, slightly faster with better camera iPhone 4S, and thinking - "bollocks we're going to get lynched".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Dades wrote: »
    I wonder if Apple are reading all the hype, while looking sheepishly at their new, slightly faster with better camera iPhone 4S, and thinking - "bollocks we're going to get lynched".

It would be a massive let down if there isn't a significant improvement in style and UI over the iPhone4. I just can't seen Apple letting that happen TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I love my iphone 4, for me to upgrade it will need to be a significant change from the 4.

The pictures of the bigger screen and slimmer design dont really do it for me. The design of the IP4 is perfect. Elegant, sleek and fits in your hand well. Better than the 3gs.

I dont really know what i want from the new iphone, Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

being honest i don't think there's going to be a redesigned phone, i want there to be i really do but don't really see it.

think tomorrow will be iphone 4 (8gb) iphone 4S and World-Wide iCloud (with iTunes match) service.

The fact that there hasn't been a single piece leaked from the 'teardrop' design and the leak case designs may be that of a prototype everyone remember the slightly thicker ipod touch with the camera on the back that hasn't seen the light of day yet?

being pessimistic about the whole launch as such so that i can be wowed tomorrow is always my tactic :D

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    and fits in your hand well. Better than the 3gs.

not sure about that in my opinion the curved edges of the 3G S fitted my hand much better than my iphone 4, similar to the ipad 2 and that iphone 5 mockup.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I love my iphone 4, for me to upgrade it will need to be a significant change from the 4.

The pictures of the bigger screen and slimmer design dont really do it for me. The design of the IP4 is perfect. Elegant, sleek and fits in your hand well. Better than the 3gs.

I dont really know what i want from the new iphone, Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm the same. I'm very happy with the focus their putting on Software this year because it's FREE. I won't be upgrading my iPhone 4. Love it and always said I don't know how they could improve on it. Other than small speed and camera updates.
    Dades wrote: »

With Tim Cook sitting at home extremely worried over tomorrow's announcement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

not sure about that in my opinion the curved edges of the 3G S fitted my hand much better than my iphone 4, similar to the ipad 2 and that iphone 5 mockup.

Lol, i dont like the design of the ipad 2 either, prefer the ipad 1 shape.
    Guess i just dont like curves. Interpret that any way ya want haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

think tomorrow will be iphone 4 (8gb) iphone 4S and World-Wide iCloud (with iTunes match) service.

I think your bang on the money there, an 8GB and 4S, that well looks like a 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

What sites are people using for the live blog tmz. I'm going with gizmodo or slahgear, still undecided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Doylers wrote: »
    What sites are people using for the live blog tmz. I'm going with gizmodo or slahgear, still undecided.

Why would you go with Gizmodo when they're not even going to be there? I'm still amazed anyone uses that site.

TIMN for me.

Gizmodo or Engadget are pretty god sites. They usually get good seats. :D

DubDJ wrote: »
    Gizmodo or Engadget are pretty god sites. They usually get good seats. :D

Gizmodo seats would be in the car park if they were lucky. Also again, terrible site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Why would you go with Gizmodo when they're not even going to be there? I'm still amazed anyone uses that site.

TIMN for me.

Cant wait to see their liveblog then if they wont be there :D Seems to be a pretty popular site

Doylers wrote: »
    Cant wait to see their liveblog then if they wont be there :D Seems to be a pretty popular site

It was.

Gizmodo seats would be in the car park if they were lucky. Also again, terrible site.

Not too into TIMN. Very plain and boring site. I watched one of the previous through engadget and it was was perfect. Nice close up photo's and a consistent running commentary. I've it marked for tomorrow.

am i the only one who prefers the FLAT surface of the iphone4 and not the ROUNDED sides of the iphone2,3g,3gs ?

mainly due to it being impossible to balance an old design iphone2,3g,3gs on its side to take a photo in timer mode.

i think it needs to stay.

practicality is as important as aesthetics.

I think your bang on the money there, an 8GB and 4S, that well looks like a 4.

the reason this makes sense to me too is because APple are trying to push everyone into the cloud.

in the not too distant future, there will be no need for 64GB memory because all your music, video, documents will be stored for easy retrieval in the cloud.

If your a fanboy it will surely make you cream your pants. Haha

• Advertisement

the reason this makes sense to me too is because APple are trying to push everyone into the cloud.

in the not too distant future, there will be no need for 64GB memory because all your music, video, documents will be stored for easy retrieval in the cloud.

This is simply not the case, network providers are cutting data allowances to the bone these days, every time a new plan is launched the included data is cut.

I don't see how the cloud can be viable unless phone plans come like Three's do with a 15Gb fair use all you can eat package.

Streaming music is roughly 1Mb per minute, so a 1Gb allowance would give you 16 hours of Music in the month or 30minutes a day which isn't even enough to listen for a 30min e/w commute each day.

Data Allowances are being cut all the time in the US, UK and Ireland, until they start going the other way the cloud is of limited use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement