Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why are you all obsessing over whether its a 4S or a 5 ?

What difference does it make its just branding/marketing. Surely the important thing is the technology that lies beneath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nobody really has a clue what is happening do they?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Why are you all obsessing over whether its a 4S or a 5 ?

What difference does it make its just branding/marketing. Surely the important thing is the technology that lies beneath ?
    It's not just about the look.

A "5" might have a bigger screen, be thinner or lighter, or maybe even have a multifunctional home button.

Dades wrote: »
    It's not just about the look.

A "5" might have a bigger screen, be thinner or lighter, or maybe even have a multifunctional home button.

Did I mention look ? I'm talking about the number. It could be a 4s and look totally different. Everybody is obsessed about the number. If it was a brick with 5 on it seems like people would go into a mad buying frenzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Did I mention look ? I'm talking about the number. It could be a 4s and look totally different. Everybody is obsessed about the number. If it was a brick with 5 on it seems like people would go into a mad buying frenzy

A 4s will not look totally different to a 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, let's everyone cast their votes in the speculation categories;

Launch Date
    1. Mid October (US), Late Oct/Early Nov (everywhere else)
    2. Late Oct/Early Nov everywhere
    3. Mid-October (US), Early November (UK, France, etc), Late Nov/Early Dec (everywhere else)

Form Factors
    1. iPhone 4S - improved internals, nothing else significant
    2. iPhone 5 - completely changed, new design, significant new features
    3. Budget iPhone 4 & iPhone 5 (i.e. both of the above)

Capacity
    1. 32 & 64GB
    2. 16, 32 & 64GB
    3. 8 or 16GB (iP4), 32 & 64GB (iP5)
    4. 8, 16, & 32GB

Pricing
    1. Largely unchanged - new top spec iP5 at ~€699
    2. Increased - At least €50 more for the top spec
    3. Dropped - At least €50 less for the top spec
    4. Unchanged w/ budget iPhone <= €300 from Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I think the main reason is because if they bring out a 4S, that confirms it will only be minor changes. If the changes are major, they will not just stick an 'S' after the 4, they will increment the model number to 5. Everyone wants major changes, not just a few tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Somebody took a screen shot from Vodafone.de and appears that the 4S will be on sale....no sign of 5.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2044801/iPhone-5-release-date-Leaks-shots-details-iPhone-4S.html

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

I'd say it'll be a 4S and not a 5 but it doesn't really matter.

The software beneath it will be pretty amazing with the VPA (Virtual Personal Assistant) alone (besides all the other tweaks and upgrades I think that everyone and their mothers will want one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

fox007 wrote: »
    Eh, that would be a 100 on contract. You obviously bought yours SIM-free/PAYG.

• Advertisement

Did I mention look ? I'm talking about the number. It could be a 4s and look totally different. Everybody is obsessed about the number.
    In the runup to the announcement, people are using "4S" to refer to a phone with the same hardware, and "5" to refer to a potential new piece of hardware that may have none or all of the advances I mentioned.

Did you really think people were just talking about a number?

seamus wrote: »
    OK, let's everyone cast their votes in the speculation categories;

Launch Date
    3. Mid-October (US), Early November (UK, France, etc), Late Nov/Early Dec (everywhere else)

Upgrade

Form Factors
    2. 16, 32 & 64GB

Pricing
    1. Largely unchanged

* There is an element of dampening some potential disappointment by at least being right with predictions.

In the runup to the announcement, people are using "4S" to refer to a phone with the same hardware, and "5" to refer to a potential new piece of hardware that may have none or all of the advances I mentioned.

Did you really think people were just talking about a number?

Frankly yes.

Whatever number they stick on it it WILL be a different phone regardless of look. It WILL do extra stuff. It WILL be faster and quicker.

Guarantee you even if it has the functionality of a Star Trek Tricorder, but looks the same and is called a 4S, people will bitch and moan that its not a 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

In an attempt to get something different I sold my iPhone 4 this summer and bought a Samsung Galaxy S2. Now after about 4 months with it, I want to get back to the iPhone.

It's just not as polished as the iPhone and the Market is a joke. Text input is worse than the iPhone aswell. Everything like backups are disjointed. I will be watching this event closely for the iPhone 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Launch Date

Upgrade

Form Factors
    2. 16, 32 & 64GB

Pricing
    1. Largely unchanged - new top spec iP5 at ~€699

* There is an element of dampening some potential disappointment by at least being right with predictions.

By top spec ip5 are you going for a 64Gb model? Im thinking if we see an iph5 the pricepoint will be same as the iphone 4 and the 4 will drop. Like every other launch. 700 for say a 16GB model iph5 would suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

seamus wrote: »
    Form Factors
    1. 32 & 64GB
    2. 16, 32 & 64GB
    3. 8 or 16GB (iP4), 32 & 64GB (iP5)
    4. 8, 16, & 32GB

Form Factor ? Form Factor is the exterior design. i.e. if it looks the same as the 4, there's no change in Form Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah I know, but capacity is generally the headline item rather than how it looks. Ignore your internal pedant :)

Edit: Ok, I've updated it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely a form factor change..Either the front of back of the device will be curved glass.
    How do I know? Apple purchased approx 6 glass cutting machines for their suppliers to use earlier in the year.
    Also looking at the pictures of the cases coming out they have a curved front/back.

Another thing is while we might only be seeing these now select accessory companies get a look well before...they have to so that cases etc are available at launch
    I remember purchasing a screen protector for my ipad last Feb (couldn't wait the 6 weeks for ipad2 as I was going abroad).
    The protector was obviously designed for the ipad 2 as it has the hole in the frame for the front facing camera and it actually fitted perfectly onto the ipad 2 as well. So here was a product designed for an ipad v2 that has not yet been released yet managed to get it perfect. So it's pretty obvious that accessory companies get at least 2 months preview of upcoming apple products in order for their accessories to be available at launch.

I manged to get the new kindle spot on last week and I didn't even know they were launching one :D so I'm going for 2 out of 2 here.
    I reckon both phones will be called an iphone 5 and 5s.
    Depending on which numbering one of them will be a lower end iphone on a par with the iphone 4 and the other one the high end one with retina display /8meg camera /1gb ram/dual core etc.
    Lower end? I'm going with single core/512mb ram/non-retina display/5meg camera/only available in 8/16gb variations.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

PCros wrote: »
    Somebody took a screen shot from Vodafone.de and appears that the 4S will be on sale....no sign of 5.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2044801/iPhone-5-release-date-Leaks-shots-details-iPhone-4S.html

I can't believe that no one has picked up on this, haven't seen a mention of it anywhere online

that picture also has an 8gb iPhone 4 listed for sale aswell....

bye bye 3gs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think there's going to be an iPhone 5 today. There's too much evidence of an iPhone 4S in three configurations - 16Gb, 32GB, 64GB. I find it very unlikely that Apple would release a redesigned iPhone 5 alongside this. But that doesn't mean this won't be an impressive update.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    I can't believe that no one has picked up on this, haven't seen a mention of it anywhere online

bye bye 3gs!

Plenty have. Conclusion is that it's a mischievous developer at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bye bye 3gs!

It's been posted and discussed here and plenty of other sites already.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74726671&postcount=480

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bye bye 3gs!

It was all over the place yesterday.

I don't think there's going to be an iPhone 5 today. There's too much evidence of an iPhone 4S in three configurations - 16Gb, 32GB, 64GB. I find it very unlikely that Apple would release a redesigned iPhone 5 alongside this. But that doesn't mean this won't be an impressive update.

I think there will be a 5 simply because they've taken 15 months to bring it out. Why break their release cycle for a face-lift model.

Also Apple events tend to over-deliver so they would probably be managing expectation of a 5 if there wasn't going to be one.

Finally, it's Cooke's first product launch as CEO and he's launching the most important product in Apple's portfolio. The last thing they want is a damp squib, delivered 3 months late as inevitably people will start talking about Apple losing its magic touch without Jobs.

I'm probably way off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

What time Irish time are we expecting an announcement, lads?

Guarantee you even if it has the functionality of a Star Trek Tricorder, but looks the same and is called a 4S, people will bitch and moan that its not a 5.
    Are you missing the part where I pointed out some stuff that won't be possible without a form change? I would love a slightly bigger screen - ain't gonna happen without a hardware update. So yeah, I'll be disappointed if it is an "S" - i.e. the same size phone.
    Doylers wrote: »
    By top spec ip5 are you going for a 64Gb model? Im thinking if we see an iph5 the pricepoint will be same as the iphone 4 and the 4 will drop. Like every other launch. 700 for say a 16GB model iph5 would suck
    I guess I phrased it wrong. Don't really expect anything other than a 4S as the new top phone, with the 4 replacing the 3GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Also Apple events tend to over-deliver so they would probably be managing expectation of a 5 if there wasn't going to be one)

I'd have to disagree with that. With the odd notable exceptions i've been disappointed far more often.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What time Irish time are we expecting an announcement, lads?

starts at 6pm

Are you missing the part where I pointed out some stuff that won't be possible without a form change? I would love a slightly bigger screen - ain't gonna happen without a hardware update. So yeah, I'll be disappointed if it is an "S" - i.e. the same size phone.

Wasn't there a leaked photo of a bigger screen in a smaller form factor ?

Anyhow if they can do that bigger screen would be good but if they make the whole phone bigger bad idea. Imho the current 4.3" Android phones are far too big for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

If its not a 5 then there are going to be an awful lot of people feeling very silly and even more will be heartbroken and Apple will have probably done a little bit of damage to themselves. I blame Jobs.

Boooooooooo Jobs out!

Yawn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement