Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hopefully some form of increased battery life would go down a treat.

Simple, yet always over looked!

iphone4 has probably got one of the best smartphone battery life. the fact they almost doubled the battery life from the 3G S to the 4. hardly what i'd call overlooking the battery life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm still getting pretty decent battery life out of my almost 2 year old 3GS. I think the battery life on the iPhone seems worse than it is because people spend so much time playing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

DubDJ wrote: »
    I love the iPhone 4 design. I think it's the nicest phone out there. That's one of the things people always pick up on when they see me on the phone or whatever, they always say it looks great. I think it makes the previous models old fashioned.

Grow tired of it after 14 months, dont you? Need something fresh! And the reception in my area isn't that great at the best of times. I've lost a lot of calls over the iPhone 4. It needs upgrading.

Wont deny that its not the best looking phone on the market at the moment, but it wont be for long hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The iPhone 4 has the best battery life of any smart-phone out there.

You can't expect it to last a week if you use it heavily but if you don't use it every minute of every day it will last a week if you turn off 3G.

img001640x960.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Would it be worth getting the iPhone 4 at this stage or waiting for the iPhone 5?

At the moment the iPhone 4 is free to Bill pay on meteor. Do ye reckon the iPhone 5 would be free to Bill when it comes out? or maybe something like €30 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Heh, no. More like €199 and upward depending on monthly payment.

EDIT: I might be wrong though. I didn't realise Meteor were doing 24 month contracts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

whiterebel wrote: »
    Because Apple hates flash due to its battery and processor drain. Doesn't play well on Macs either. Apple are pushing HTML5, so they will never support flash.
    I think there are jailbreak apps that can do flash, Google is your friend.

Flash is not Open Source & Apple went blue Prints to Flash.. to allow it on its Iphone, Plus if Flash was on what is stopping people Install Apps online with out the use of Itunes or App Store ?

Makes you laugh they want Flash open so they can Rule it on their Device but yet their the Big Closed Source phones out their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Cork24 wrote: »
    Flash is not Open Source & Apple went blue Prints to Flash.. to allow it on its Iphone, Plus if Flash was on what is stopping people Install Apps online with out the use of Itunes or App Store ?

Makes you laugh they want Flash open so they can Rule it on their Device but yet their the Big Closed Source phones out their.
    Not sure where you are getting your information from, but you really should double check it. As far as your online Apps theory, they already exist. In fact, Apple only wanted online ones at first, it was demand from developers/customers that caused them to re-evaluate and create the App Store, but they have never tried to stop online Apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

whiterebel wrote: »
    Because Apple hates flash due to its battery and processor drain. Doesn't play well on Macs either. Apple are pushing HTML5, so they will never support flash.
    I think there are jailbreak apps that can do flash, Google is your friend.

I think it should be up to the user to decide if they want to play
    flash on the iphone or not
    user knowing the battery life will drain on use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Rambo wrote: »
    I think it should be up to the user to decide if they want to play
    flash on the iphone or not
    user knowing the battery life will drain on use
    Luckily for people who want that there are phones on the market to allow them to do so.

And most people won't make the leap from "I use Flash a lot" to "Flash is killing my battery." Most people don't know what Flash is. They'll only see a phone they are using that needs to be charged an awful lot.

• Advertisement

Luckily for people who want that there are phones on the market to allow them to do so.

And most people won't make the leap from "I use Flash a lot" to "Flash is killing my battery." Most people don't know what Flash is. They'll only see a phone they are using that needs to be charged an awful lot.

just have a setting in safari to run flash or not
    cant get any easy then that.

just have a setting in safari to run flash or not
    cant get any easy then that.
    There's a bit more to it than that. The fact that you don't realize that kind of proves what Aidan said about most people not knowing what Flash is.

Johnmb wrote: »
    There's a bit more to it than that. The fact that you don't realize that kind of proves what Aidan said about most people not knowing what Flash is.

Only really matter for the fashion women or man who wants a iphone
    will have the settings turn off for for flash
    who will never change settings in safari menu or never open settings menu at all in the life of iphone that they own.

thanks STEVE JOBS

and for the more tech heads will turn flash on
    SHOULD BE A CHOICE.

If you need Flash that badly get a phone that supports it. If Flash was as essential as some people claim then Apple would have had no choice but to add support for it by now. They haven't and it seems most iPhone/iPad users are getting by just fine without it. Personally I hate Flash and will be delighted when it's gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

mad muffin wrote: »
    The iPhone 4 has the best battery life of any smart-phone out there.

You can't expect it to last a week if you use it heavily but if you don't use it every minute of every day it will last a week if you turn off 3G.

img001640x960.jpg

Hmm yeah I suppose but what's the point in having such a great, and expensive, phone if you don't use it alot :D

Either way I'd say they could increase the battery life. Wouldn't mind having the same battery life that I get from the iPad 2. I've never had that waste on me since I've gotten it. However I don't like the idea of having a huge iPhone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Is that not the time since last FULL charge? It could have got little charges here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

DubDJ wrote: »
    Hmm yeah I suppose but what's the point in having such a great, and expensive, phone if you don't use it alot :D

Either way I'd say they could increase the battery life. Wouldn't mind having the same battery life that I get from the iPad 2. I've never had that waste on me since I've gotten it. However I don't like the idea of having a huge iPhone :P

True, I was on holidays so the phone didn't get as much use but still, it pores the battery can last.
    The iPad is big and therefore can have a much larger battery. Unfortunately as far as battery technology stands today longer lasting batteries=larger.

Rylan wrote: »
    Is that not the time since last FULL charge? It could have got little charges here and there.

It would say below the standby that the iPhone was plugged in since last charge.

Only really matter for the fashion women or man who wants a iphone
    will have the settings turn off for for flash
    who will never change settings in safari menu or never open settings menu at all in the life of iphone that they own.

thanks STEVE JOBS

and for the more tech heads will turn flash on
    SHOULD BE A CHOICE.
    And again, thinking that it's as simple as that kind of goes to show that you are not a tech head. You are the most dangerous kind of user, the one who thinks he knows how things work, but doesn't actually, so would blame Apple for problems you caused. Tech heads would jailbreak and easily work around the lack of flash. Those who think they need flash, and aren't tech heads, can buy a different phone. Everyone else can use the iPhone they way it was designed to be used, and realize that flash is unimportant (even if they don't realize how beneficial not having it actually is).

If you need Flash that badly get a phone that supports it. If Flash was as essential as some people claim then Apple would have had no choice but to add support for it by now. They haven't and it seems most iPhone/iPad users are getting by just fine without it. Personally I hate Flash and will be delighted when it's gone for good.
    Even before I got my iPhone, or first Mac, I avoided Flash. I used Firefox and one of the Flash blocking add ons (I had flash, just in case). There remains only two sites that I need Flash for, Hulu and TennisTV.com. Once they move away from Flash, I won't need the Click to Flash extension for Safari, I'll be able to delete Flash altogether from my computer. As for my iPhone, I don't watch Hulu on that, and TennisTV.com have Apps that I can use instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr.S wrote: »
    iOS 5.0 doensn't have widgets.

It has a new notification system, if thats what you mean?

it does, the weather widget up top is a widget, there's also a stock widget. it's not known if apple will allow developers to create widgets and wether or not they'll be allowed anywhere bar the notification screen.

172401.PNG

• Advertisement

Even before I got my iPhone, or first Mac, I avoided Flash. I used Firefox and one of the Flash blocking add ons (I had flash, just in case). There remains only two sites that I need Flash for, Hulu and TennisTV.com. Once they move away from Flash, I won't need the Click to Flash extension for Safari, I'll be able to delete Flash altogether from my computer. As for my iPhone, I don't watch Hulu on that, and TennisTV.com have Apps that I can use instead.

yes you had the choice to turn off flash if you wanted

thats all am trying to say about the flash on IPHONE
    A CHOICE TO TURN ON or OFF

yes you had the choice to turn off flash if you wanted

thats all am trying to say about the flash on IPHONE
    A CHOICE TO TURN ON or OFF
    Again, you don't seem to actually understand what flash is. If it's put on a phone, it will affect the phone, regardless as to whether or not you turn it on or off. It doesn't belong on a phone. If you want it that badly, buy a different phone. Then, when you get fed up with how slow it is, and how bad the battery is, you'll know why anybody with any sense wouldn't allow flash onto their OS for a phone (or even a tablet). Even though my computer has plenty of spare capacity to handle flash, it would still work better if I removed flash altogether. If the iOS Apps ever become available for use on a Mac, Flash will be removed from all my Macs immediately!

Again, you don't seem to actually understand what flash is. If it's put on a phone, it will affect the phone, regardless as to whether or not you turn it on or off. It doesn't belong on a phone. If you want it that badly, buy a different phone. Then, when you get fed up with how slow it is, and how bad the battery is, you'll know why anybody with any sense wouldn't allow flash onto their OS for a phone (or even a tablet). Even though my computer has plenty of spare capacity to handle flash, it would still work better if I removed flash altogether. If the iOS Apps ever become available for use on a Mac, Flash will be removed from all my Macs immediately!

Adobe goes HTML5: iPhone 5 release date sees Flash replaced with Edge

http://www.beatweek.com/news/8896-adobe-html5-iphone-5-release-date-sees-flash-edge/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Has there even been a definite date set for their next announcement?
    I'm still on my 3gs, was considering getting a 4 off adverts for the last while, but after being messed around once or twice by sellers, I still haven't bought one, and think i'll wait until the next announcement before buying a 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

In regard to the highlighted section above, I'm curious as to how you believe flash adversely affects (technically please) a phone?

BDJW wrote: »
    No. It's all still rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

No. It's all still rumour.

Thought so, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

BDJW wrote: »
    I'm still on my 3gs, was considering getting a 4 off adverts for the last while, but after being messed around once or twice by sellers, I still haven't bought one, and think i'll wait until the next announcement before buying a 4

Assuming Apple will be announcing a new iPhone this year, which would be a shock if they didn't, it should be announced either this week or next about a Keynote. It's getting pretty late in the year now. And although it is still all rumour it makes sense that they'd have a keynote in September. It gives them enough time to build some hype following the announcement and to catch up on production just before Christmas. I think they changed it to a later date so it would be a good present for Christmas. But then again I could be wrong.

Either way I'd hold off buying one on Adverts. People will have to drop their price as soon as the new iPhone is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Adobe goes HTML5: iPhone 5 release date sees Flash replaced with Edge

http://www.beatweek.com/news/8896-adobe-html5-iphone-5-release-date-sees-flash-edge/

Couldn't they come up with a different name? Average punters are gonna confuse that with the edge network.

• Advertisement

In regard to the highlighted section above, I'm curious as to how you believe flash adversely affects (technically please) a phone?
    Seriously? Well, let's keep it simple, space and memory commitments. A phone with, what, 8GB memory and 500mb RAM (assuming they drop the 3GS, and the 4 becomes the lowest spec iPhone shortly). And you think that can handle Flash? Even if Flash is "turned off", it will still be taking up space, and will likely end up working like it does on a Mac/PC currently, i.e. if it's on the system, it runs, turning it off involves bloating your browser with an extension which doesn't actually turn off Flash, it simply blocks Flash from kicking into gear and using up more resources. So now you'll have a bloated browser, a bloated iOS (to make it compatible with Flash), and Flash itself, all taking up extra space and using extra RAM. Your Mac/PC is adversely affected by Flash, it's just that, usually, they have enough memory and RAM so that it is not noticeable to the average user (although crashes caused by Flash are quite common relatively speaking). No phone is currently on a par with a full computer as far as memory and RAM are concerned, so Flash's affects will be more noticeable, and crashes even more common. And before you claim that current phones are on a par with computers from a bygone era, using Flash from that era would be completely useless, and using Flash from the current era would be just as much a strain on those computers as it would be on a phone. And putting it on phones wouldn't be much use for a lot of Flash based sites, as they are not designed to work with a touch screen. So lots of problems, very little benefit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement