Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If there's no iPhone 5 after 15 months, then poor Tim Cook has been left a bum hand by Steve Jobs for his first "iPhone event". An iPhone 4 refresh, iOS5 and the speech based Assistant isn't going to cut it with the consumer imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wasn't there a leaked photo of a bigger screen in a smaller form factor ?

Anyhow if they can do that bigger screen would be good but if they make the whole phone bigger bad idea. Imho the current 4.3" Android phones are far too big for most people.

It was a bigger screen in the same form factor.
    I agree about screen size though, I have a Sensation and GS2, they are huge imo and I have big hands. The iPhone is perfect size but the screen could be a tad bigger. The Desire was perfect too.

A 4'' screen is as big as I'd want in a phone.

Sure there is a version on the GS2 with a 5'' screen on the way!!, there are tablets that big ffs. How are you ment to get these things in your pocket.

Apple do have the form factor nailed down imo. If you want bigger get a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

If apple were only releasing a 4S they would have been smart enough to lower expectations prior to the announcement. It's incredibly bad PR to have mountains of speculation and expectations build up only to disappoint.

Just look on all the mainstream news websites, they all mention iPhone 5, slimmer, faster, larger screen etc. If apple only deliver a 4S it will be the biggest own goal in their history.

sink wrote: »
    Just look on all the mainstream news websites, they all mention iPhone 5, slimmer, faster, larger screen etc. If apple only deliver a 4S it will be the biggest own goal in their history.

It's not Apple's fault if the media want to hype them up and put them on a digital pedestal. The company does what it does, if they don't think the hardware is ready for iP5 they won't release it, simples.

Apple did not announce to the world that they will knock out a new iPhone each year without fail with each being more magical than the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

sink wrote: »
    If apple only deliver a 4S it will be the biggest own goal in their history.

"Their very recent history"? maybe.

"Their history"? absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I suppose I'm in the minority
    Happy with iPhone 4 hoping for iPad3 today...;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i dont see the problem, the 3GS was a big improovement over the 3G, so if a 4S appears then it will be an improovment over the 4.

If people like it, buy it.
    If you dont, wait for the 5 in October 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

A 4s will be upgraded hardware, running iOS 5, an iPhone 5 would be the same but in a different shape, so what's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's not Apple's fault if the media want to hype them up and put them on a digital pedestal. The company does what it does, if they don't think the hardware is ready for iP5 they won't release it, simples.

Apple did not announce to the world that they will knock out a new iPhone each year without fail with each being more magical than the last.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Spinning stories about your company and your products to the media is absolute bread and butter for a company like Apple.

If Apple were concerned that hype was becoming too big for their new product to live up to they would simply have arranged for a prototype of the product to "accidentally" find its way into the public domain - it's not like that's unprecedented.

Regarding their production cycle, it's been like clockwork over the last several models they've released, so while they haven't "announced to the world" their intention to continue to follow what has been an extremely successful model, it's much more of a stretch to expect them to change it than it is to expect it to stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Apple are masters of PR and they know this is the key almost career defining event for the new guy. Whatever they announce it will be big and there will be surprises designed to get people talking about Apple and the future and not Jobs and the past. If it is simple upgrade to an iPhone4S then in a year the story will be about the decline of Apple as Samsung, Sony etc will have caught up and possibly overtaken them in terms of the technology and appeal. The new guy can't afford to be coming back in 6 months with the iPhone5 everyone expects now as that will look like he is coming back with his tail between his legs 6 months late to what he promised us (even if he has promised us nothing, public expectation is a powerful enemy in his position)

I expect the iPhone5, a budget iPhone4 AND a major announcement about the iPod. It would not surprise me it the old style iPods were gotten rid of (possibly with just the Nano left) and the iTouch replaced with the budget iPhone 4 in a range of memory sizes. The iCloud and Apps will be major features and revenue generators for apple and the old style ipods don't fit into that. Outside bet would be to see some update to the Apple TV. Could that be integrated into the iPhone5 with a remote control and cable? The iPhone now becomes the ultimate entertainment device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

If they're going to ditch any iPods, I'd expect the nano to be on its way out, at least the current design anyway, which is completely pointless and extravagant, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

touts wrote: »
    Apple are masters of PR and they know this is the key almost career defining event for the new guy. Whatever they announce it will be big and there will be surprises designed to get people talking about Apple and the future and not Jobs and the past. If it is simple upgrade to an iPhone4S then in a year the story will be about the decline of Apple as Samsung, Sony etc will have caught up and possibly overtaken them in terms of the technology and appeal. The new guy can't afford to be coming back in 6 months with the iPhone5 everyone expects now as that will look like he is coming back with his tail between his legs 6 months late to what he promised us (even if he has promised us nothing, public expectation is a powerful enemy in his position)

I expect the iPhone5, a budget iPhone4 AND a major announcement about the iPod. It would not surprise me it the old style iPods were gotten rid of (possibly with just the Nano left) and the iTouch replaced with the budget iPhone 4 in a range of memory sizes. The iCloud and Apps will be major features and revenue generators for apple and the old style ipods don't fit into that. Outside bet would be to see some update to the Apple TV. Could that be integrated into the iPhone5 with a remote control and cable? The iPhone now becomes the ultimate entertainment device.
    You're not expecting much then! :)

Would be fairly sceptical about that getting rid of the ipod touch bit, tbh, its generally accepted everywhere i've looked, that that only gonna get some new kind of screen coating, and a white edition becoming available..

Despite the fact theres been no leaks even remotely confirming production of a new form factor, i genuinely expecting and will be surprised, as opposed to disappointed(I am an android user after all! :)) if there isn't. I genuinely think a lot of people would question getting an iphone 4s if they were to have an upgrade available to them between now and when the next form factor will be launched.. Surely Apple above anyone would know, the Galaxy S3 will be announced next February, that would effectively mean there'd be three different designs from the iphones most credible competition (IMO, of couirse), in the time that Apple would be using the very same form factor, i simply dont believe apple would have it that way..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

All last minute rumours point to an iPhone 4S. It's increasingly unlikely we'll see the iPhone 5. Hopefully we'll see some good price points if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Ah so the hype machine exploded over the weekend then? Glad I took the weekend off from blogwatching so.

Anyone recommend a brand of popcorn to eat while it all kicks off?

I hope I'm wrong but it could be "taxi for cook"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Dman001 wrote: »
    All last minute rumours point to an iPhone 4S. It's increasingly unlikely we'll see the iPhone 5. Hopefully we'll see some good price points if that's the case.

Well if that's the case then Cook's first public appearance will be one of disappointment and failure to live up to expectations. He'll need one hell of a good announcement on the iPad in 6 months to get his career going again and given that the iPad2 is considered far superior to it's rivals while the iPhone has by far the more scope for a major revamp then it is likely that the spring iPad announcement will also be just tweaks leading to general disappointment. He'll end his first year in the job heading into his third major public presentation having not done much wrong but still in the last chance saloon. The man who failed to fill Job's shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

kceire wrote: »
    i dont see the problem, the 3GS was a big improovement over the 3G, so if a 4S appears then it will be an improovment over the 4.

If people like it, buy it.
    If you dont, wait for the 5 in October 2012.

No doubt that the 3gs was an improvement over then 3g. But when people saw it they said oh you have an iPhone 3g, I constantly corrected them(loser i know) and I got to the stage where I didn't care anymore. Its just annoying when you buy a new phone on launch day and its really hard to tell the difference between last years model(aesthetically wise). Thats why people want an iphone 5. At the end of the day most people buying an iphone on launch want other people to know its the latest and greatest model.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

draffodx wrote: »
    A 4s will be upgraded hardware, running iOS 5, an iPhone 5 would be the same but in a different shape, so what's the big deal?
    Have you never changed the font on your plates, tinted windows, added lexus lights or a decal? ;)

People can and do get bored with the same form, but also often with form change comes added functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

People expect a new phone. People want a new phone. If there is no iPhone 5 I will be very surprised. Apple risk losing market share to Android and all the slim, powerful new smartphones from HTC, Samsung etc.

One is well overdue.

Elessar wrote: »
    People expect a new phone. People want a new phone. If there is no iPhone 5 I will be very surprised. Apple risk losing market share to Android and all the slim, powerful new smartphones from HTC, Samsung etc.

One is well overdue.

Samsung have the SG3 well in the works and is due in a few months. Higher spec GS2s are being released shortly too.
    HTC are releasing higher spec Sensations in a week or two.

While these phones are great spec wise, they are too fecking big and getting bigger, I don't mind how slim a phone is but when the screen starts to get bigger than the one on the PSP hand held console, it's a pain.

If apple can get GS2 specs or slightly better in the current iP4 form factor with a slightly bigger screen and smaller bezel as a result it will have a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

As much as I'd like a new design, if Apple don't deliver, I'll just stick with my iPhone 4. No way would I go over to Android, no matter how tempting the design may be.

Android just isn't on par with iOS. Nor is the service from other manufacturers on par with Apple.

There is a reason why a 16 month old iPhone 4 is the number one selling smart phone and the 3GS a three year old design with two year old hardware is number two.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Will all chat from today's event be kept to this thread lads, or what?

Gonna agree with whoever said it previously but the closer it gets to the time the more likely the bloggers see it being an iPhone 4S is released.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

muff03 wrote: »
    Will all chat from today's event be kept to this thread lads, or what?
    I started a thread for live discussion of the keynote here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056410093

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dades wrote: »
    Have you never changed the font on your plates, tinted windows, added lexus lights or a decal? ;)

Nope. I have however increased the power without changing the form ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

If they're going to ditch any iPods, I'd expect the nano to be on its way out

I'd be fairly sure that the ipod lineup is facing a cull. The ipod app has disappeared from ios5 and is now called "Music"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sure that the ipod lineup is facing a cull. The ipod app has disappeared from ios5 and is now called "Music"

Incredible to think Apple could kill what was the coolest brand in the world only a few years ago. Wouldn't be surprised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Schummi

Is there anywhere to watch the event live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Schummi wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to watch the event live?

short of being there, nope, unfortunately not

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Schummi

cojomo2 wrote: »
    short of being there, nope, unfortunately not

OK, Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Incredible to think Apple could kill what was the coolest brand in the world only a few years ago.

Yup. I had to buy my last nano off ebay so I could get a previous generation version instead of the piece of junk they're selling now.

Apple are not infallible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Someone in Apple Japan made a boo-boo.

http://www.apple.com/jp/retail/ginza/

Translation:

Recommended store event:

iPhone 4S, release.
    On sale at the Apple Store from 8am 14th Oct. Our staff will help you select the right plan. They'll also help with iPhone settings, so you can begin using your phone before you leave the store.

iPod nano

New user interface. New and improved fitness features. New clockface. With the multi-touch iPod nano, your possibilities are also multi(ple).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement