Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

And to add a non techies perspective, I have a very old iBook g4 that a bought recently just to get familiar with osx. Flash video is terrible on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

And to add a non techies perspective, I have a very old iBook g4 that a bought recently just to get familiar with osx. Flash video is terrible on it.
    Just to point out that poor quality Flash wouldn't have much to do with that computer being a Mac or using OSX. If it's one of the early G4's, it probably only has 256mb RAM. Any computer, PC or Mac, with those specs will struggle to play Flash video nowadays. Does the latest version of Flash even work on it?

512 actually, firefox 3.6.20 with flash extension 10.1.102.64 osx 10.5.8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

If you want to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of Flash, please create a new thread. Back on topic, please.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its not to make Christmas anyway. €600 contract phones are not normally given as presents. iPad, iPod yes, iPhone no.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its not to make Christmas anyway. €600 contract phones are not normally given as presents. iPad, iPod yes, iPhone no.
    If the rumors of a cheaper model for PAYG are true, that could be a Christmas present. Although the main markets for such a phone would probably be China and India, is Christmas a big present giving holiday in those markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Rumor is that the Media event is on the 5th of September.

Been told to keep it hush until invitations are sent out on Wednesday the 31st.

Not sure if theres any truth in it but hopefully the wait is over!

Not sure if theres any truth in it but hopefully the wait is over!
    Yeah, the sooner we can move onto rumors of the iPhone 6 the better!!! :D
    Although, in truth, once the iPhone 5 is announced, rumors about the iPad 3 will take over, it's never-ending.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

At this point I would just be happy to have the event announced and to see how it looks like.

I'll worry about the release date fir it later. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

• Advertisement

At the risk of being pedantic, they don't cost €600 on contract...;) and believe me plenty are bought as presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Aren't their a lot of restrictions in China regarding selling the iPhone. And it's all rumours that China Mobile will be adding the iPhone to their supported mobile device list.

I can see the iPhone being very popular in the US and Europe. Where Xmas is very popular :P

And yeah the iPhone isn't €600 on contract. I can imagine a lot of people buying them as gifts or if not buying them for a gift to theirselves :D haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The sooner the better tbh, getting tired of how slow my 3g is getting, but there's no way in hell I'm forking out €700 for an iphone 4. Price drops plz....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

At the risk of being pedantic, they don't cost €600 on contract...;) and believe me plenty are bought as presents.

No, they were €2-300 on contract when they came out. Seeing as you can't sign a contract for someone else, I can't see many €600 phones being given as presents.....

No, they were €2-300 on contract when they came out. Seeing as you can't sign a contract for someone else, I can't see many €600 phones being given as presents.....
    Not all presents are surprises ;)
    Person A signing the contract, while person B pays for the phone as a gift to person A is a common enough practice.

I'd say Apple will announce the event either tomorrow or Wednesday, following their usual announcement schedual for the iPod event. And they usually announce on a Tuesday or Wednesday. So the rumour could be correct. Let's hope. I don't plan on getting the new iPhone but looking forward to getting my hands in the final release of iOS 5. I don't like the developer beta's. Too unstable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

What will it look like? I hope it isn't like the iPhone 4 that's ugly and u hope the signals good because I'm not replacing my 3GS if it isnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What? The iPhone 4 is still the best looking phone you can buy and it's been out for 15 months at this stage. Name one phone that is nicer? Go on I dare ya, I double dare ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

What? The iPhone 4 is still the best looking phone you can buy and it's been out for 15 months at this stage. Name one phone that is nicer? Go on I dare ya, I double dare ya.
    The 3Gs without a protective case? It fits into the hand nicer than the hard squared-off edges of the iPhone 4 and is really sleek for a three year old piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I agree. I went for the 3Gs last year instead of the 4 as I preferred the look and feel. Im hoping the new one reverts back to something similar to the 3Gs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Mr.S wrote: »
    3GS feels to big and "fat' in your hand after you've used a 4 IMO

Definitely... (from a skeptic who loved the 3GS)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The 3Gs without a protective case? It fits into the hand nicer than the hard squared-off edges of the iPhone 4 and is really sleek for a three year old piece of kit.
    I used to think the same, but the iPhone 4 is a much nicer shape. It doesn't feel as big and bumpy, and fits into your pocket easier. Despite the shattering problems, I think the glass back looks much nicer and premium too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dman001 wrote: »
    I used to think the same, but the iPhone 4 is a much nicer shape. It doesn't feel as big and bumpy, and fits into your pocket easier. Despite the shattering problems, I think the glass back looks much nicer and premium too!

The 3GS is ever so slightly too big for my hands, but in terms of ergonomics I much prefer the design of it compared to the 4 which just feels sharp and uncomfortable - although it's nowhere near as bad as the SGS2 which in my (albeit minimal) time handling the device just felt awful.

I agree with DMan in that the 4 does feel much better in terms of construction - in fact it seems to ooze quality - but for me this is a completely false impression. It's probably one of the most fragile phone I've ever come across.

The 3GS is outdated. It's had very few changes in form factor since the original iPhone was introduced until the iPhone 4. That was the biggest change so far. And even now after 15 months I still think it's a gorgeous phone. And can't think of another that i'd prefer over it.

Plus the fragile part doesn't bother me too much. I didn't buy this €700 phone to drop it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DubDJ wrote: »
    The 3GS is outdated. It's had very few changes in form factor since the original iPhone was introduced until the iPhone 4. That was the biggest change so far. And even now after 15 months I still think it's a gorgeous phone. And can't think of another that i'd prefer over it.

Plus the fragile part doesn't bother me too much. I didn't buy this €700 phone to drop it :D

The 3GS was outdated when it launched, it looked every bit of the two year old design. Similarly, for me the least successful element of the 4 is the front, which has barely changed since the first model. It looks great from a lot of angles but the screen size in proportion to the front is too small and looks slightly outdated. It reminds me of the older iMacs, when you look at them now all you think is how large the chin is and how comparatively small the screen is. That for me is the case with the 4.

Nobody buys a phone to drop it, but it'll happen to every phone and when it does happen it should be robust enough to survive small falls intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The 3GS is ever so slightly too big for my hands, but in terms of ergonomics I much prefer the design of it compared to the 4 which just feels sharp and uncomfortable - although it's nowhere near as bad as the SGS2 which in my (albeit minimal) time handling the device just felt awful.

I agree with DMan in that the 4 does feel much better in terms of construction - in fact it seems to ooze quality - but for me this is a completely false impression. It's probably one of the most fragile phone I've ever come across.
    Very true, but still couldn't say no to that glass back. In fairness though, the plastic back on the 3GS was just as prone to cracking, especially around the dock connector and earphone jack. Although that isn't the same as a completely shattered back.

But if the rumors are to be believed, we may not see the Glass back on the iPhone 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I think we need another iPhone5 thread.

This year it's very hard to predict what's going to happen. Last year was the first big form factor shift for the iPhone. And this year they broke from routine and never announced a new one at WWDC11.

It's unclear to whether they'll shift form factor again or not. On one hand they've only had a huge change which was very popular for the most part, which would suggest a 4S type phone. But then again they've waited 15 months so a small refresh like this might prove unpopular.

They did say they were going to focus on software opposed to hardware this year. All this combined makes it really difficult to predict. The Steve Jobs resignation probably won't have an impact as I'm sure his input has shaped the new model over the last 15 months.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone announcement anyways. Just because of the whole uncertainty surrounding it.

DubDJ wrote: »
    This year it's very hard to predict what's going to happen. Last year was the first big form factor shift for the iPhone. And this year they broke from routine and never announced a new one at WWDC11.

It's unclear to whether they'll shift form factor again or not. On one hand they've only had a huge change which was very popular for the most part, which would suggest a 4S type phone. But then again they've waited 15 months so a small refresh like this might prove unpopular.

They did say they were going to focus on software opposed to hardware this year. All this combined makes it really difficult to predict. The Steve Jobs resignation probably won't have an impact as I'm sure his input has shaped the new model over the last 15 months.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone announcement anyways. Just because of the whole uncertainty surrounding it.
    I'm still waiting to see what they do with the LiquidMetal that they licensed. I'm amazed it hasn't made its way to the iPhone/iPad yet, and if the rumors of a metal back are true I wonder if it will be the LiquidMetal rather than aluminum, or have they come up with another way to work around the reception issues the aluminum back caused the original iPhone.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to see what they do with the LiquidMetal that they licensed. I'm amazed it hasn't made its way to the iPhone/iPad yet, and if the rumors of a metal back are true I wonder if it will be the LiquidMetal rather than aluminum, or have they come up with another way to work around the reception issues the aluminum back caused the original iPhone.

Haven't heard of this one before. Sounds good though they always have the new metals and parts in their devices. I've personally never had an issue with the antenna and dropped calls. Neither has anyone I know witch the iPhone 4. I personally think it's overly exaggerated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement