Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Soon would be good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It's now into September and still no date for an announcement. I'm really getting anxious to get my hands on iOS 5. Just wish it would hurry up.

At this stage if they do announce it they'll have to release the new iPhone at the same time as the announcement. Otherwise it's getting late into the year for a release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I've been messing with iOS 5 on my bosses iPad 2, mirroring is a great feature, as is the tabbed safari browsing. The split keyboard isn't something I'd use as I'm not a thumb typer but I can see the appeal. I'm looking forward to having this iOS on my phone, whereas in the past I've been pretty "meh" about an update...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

iphones are two fufping dear. that is all.

cremeegg wrote: »

Nope, a few other smartphones are also too "fufping" dear, so it's not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

cremeegg wrote: »

Spelling and grammar are two things that are too important to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

San Francisco Police confirm the search for the missing iPhone 5 prototype.

http://gizmodo.com/5837072/san-francisco-police-participated-in-search-for-lost-iphone-5

Hopefully Apple will hurry the Event before this story escalates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I WANT MY SEPTEMBER MUSIC EVENT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Specs based on case:

designspecs.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I really hope they don't make it much bigger than the 4. Looking at some of the opposition in a shop the other day and they are massive......like a half tablet:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

whiterebel wrote: »
    I really hope they don't make it much bigger than the 4. Looking at some of the opposition in a shop the other day and they are massive......like a half tablet:o
    i really think the iphone is about the biggest phone i would use, i played around with a friends desire hd a while ago and it was uncomfortable

saying that though watch me eat my words if the next iphone is 4 inches

With all these rumours about new iPhone sizes and screens and the likes i'd find it really funny if they released the same iPhone 4 with the better A5 chip and a better camera. I just think it's really hard to predict anything at this stage. It's been a strange year at Apple with a lot of change going on. Mixing it up a little :)

If I was holding off for a new iPhone and it wasn't a major change I probably wouldn't find it as funny though haha :D

I wouldn't mind actually, I've a galaxy s 2 waiting in the wings as an alternative in case the 5 is a no show/ or I don't like it so I'm mentally prepared for a bigger phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I don't know about anybody else, but i'm getting a bit fed up of these tactics by Apple. If they are releasing a new phone, I would rather just know now. If it's not going to be released for a while, that's fair enough. But I hate the hanging around waiting to find out if there is or isn't going to be a new phone.
    However, it is obviously working from Apples point of view so it won't change any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

BDJW wrote: »
    I don't know about anybody else, but i'm getting a bit fed up of these tactics by Apple. If they are releasing a new phone, I would rather just know now. If it's not going to be released for a while, that's fair enough. But I hate the hanging around waiting to find out if there is or isn't going to be a new phone.
    However, it is obviously working from Apples point of view so it won't change any time soon!

It is blatant, isn't it?

Galaxy S2 is out. Nexus Prime etc. out soon. iPhone 4 is what, 18 months old? People getting tempted.

Then what? Bam. The media go bananas with a 'leaked' iPhone prototype story, reminding every tempted customer that a new iPhone is imminent.

And all without giving away *any* specs or holding Apple to *any* timeline.

One thing is though - if the iPhone 5 turns out to be no more than a 4S or something, people are gonna be pissed off ie. it better have been worth waiting for.

I'm sick of waiting. I am seriously tempted by the new Android sets but I do not want to splurge money/get locked into a contract when I am eager to see what Apple come up with and what the first Nokia WP7 handsets are like.

quad_red wrote: »
    It is blatant, isn't it?

Galaxy S2 is out. Nexus Prime etc. out soon. iPhone 4 is what, 18 months old? People getting tempted.

Then what? Bam. The media go bananas with a 'leaked' iPhone prototype story, reminding every tempted customer that a new iPhone is imminent.

And all without giving away *any* specs or holding Apple to *any* timeline.

One thing is though - if the iPhone 5 turns out to be no more than a 4S or something, people are gonna be pissed off ie. it better have been worth waiting for.

I'm sick of waiting. I am seriously tempted by the new Android sets but I do not want to splurge money/get locked into a contract when I am eager to see what Apple come up with and what the first Nokia WP7 handsets are like.

I'm far from an Apple fanboy, not really interested in Apple products, however I really like my iPhone. It does what I want perfectly. I'm still using my 3gs about 20 months (the longest i've ever had a phone! I usually change every 6 months or so), but it is time for a change now and has been for a while. I have been very tempted get an iPhone 4, but there would be very little difference to justify it. At the moment, i'm very tempted by a HTC Sensation, and this is only due to being sick of hanging around waiting to see if Apple are actually going to release anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

quad_red wrote: »

It will be a new handset, they need to impress confidence back into the shareholders after Steve Jobs standing down to bring the share prices back up.

Re-releasing a 14 month old phone with a new chip inside it won't to that because its not what people want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There IS going to be a new iPhone. We might not know the specs yet, but we've known it's coming out in September/October for months now. It's not that hard to predict Apple's product announcements. They don't send out a press release, but they do controlled leaks and have done for years. We can reasonably assume it will have a new form factor and larger screen. Apple didn't delay it for several months for nothing.

Personally I like the fact that Apple don't announce their devices until they are finished and ready. Do I have to post that youtube clip of Balmer showing off non-existent "slate PCs" at CES? Apple don't do vapourware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

What do people expect? I dont see much room for any other thing than a bigger screen more ram and a better chip to suppor ios5 enhancements. It already has retina, a reasonable ok camera, etc.

Same for the next ipad...better camera, retina display and better chip and ram are written on the wall. That's what the next ipad will be whenever it comes around.

The renders based on the supposed leaked case look cool.

But then again variations of those renders have appeared every year before the actual phone comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

gzoladz wrote: »
    What do people expect?QUOTE]

I expect a phone that last at least 48hours with modest use. I get 6 to 8 hours out of the iphone.

It would alos be nice to have a phone that work well as a phone but I think thats too much to ask these days.

onedmc wrote: »
    I expect a phone that last at least 48hours with modest use. I get 6 to 8 hours out of the iphone.

If you only get 6 to 8 hours out of your phone, I would be dropping it in somewhere to get fixed. Unless those 6 to 8 hours are of constant video watching

The German telecom company Duetsche Telekom, has started taking preorders for the next generation iPhone now. Story here.

I'd say were pretty close to a new release. And the September/October announcement/release is about right. I'm just looking forward to iOS 5. And as it's usually released at the same time as the new gen iPhone I'm hoping that release hurries up.

^^ Link borked - this right one.
    (Mods can edit and delete me!)

Dades wrote: »
    ^^ Link borked - this right one.
    (Mods can edit and delete me!)

Link fixed. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dades wrote: »
    The renders based on the supposed leaked case look cool.

But then again variations of those renders have appeared every year before the actual phone comes out.
    Though they all appear to be relatively consistent, including the mock-up made from a tiny drawing that appeared on Apple Photo Stream Beta.

It appears to be pretty logical - keep the screen the same size, trim the fat from the top and bottom of the device. The "aero" edging would also be consistent with the iPad 2 design.

Going back to being a bit "feminine" for my liking, but it's possible that the iP4 redesign was an excuse to buy themselves a bit more room to fit in improved hardware without admitting that making the device a little smaller was beyond their capabilities at the time.

This would also be consistent with the delayed timeframe that we've been waiting for the iP5 - rather than rush to market, they've been waiting for the hardware to catch up with their design.

If I was to guess; lighter, slightly faster, more storage space, better camera, better battery. At this stage, the competitors have caught up in hardware terms, so any new game changers have to come in software form.

Don't know what to think about release dates. They've been edging closer and closer to a simultaneous worldwide release every time. I suspect that AT&T wanted to be the only network in the world with the device for a time before the device was released in other countries - U.S. customers could theoretically pick it up from another country. With the expiration of the exclusivity agreements, there's not really any good reason to hold back stock from other countries, except for managing their stock levels.

But then they purposely manufacture/release less devices than they expect to sell, just to hype it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I laugh at all the people saying "It better be good or we won't buy it!". It's an Apple, they'll all buy it!
    I think the screen size will remain largly the same because of the aspect ratio. Apple will keep their aspect ratio consistant so that all Apps can look good on all their devices. It's one of the big plusses they have over android, which some Apps look better on some phones than others due to different screens.
    So it'll just be quicker, better battery, and probably a new design. iOS 5 will probably be their big sell this year. The iPhone is selling itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I laugh at all the people saying "It better be good or we won't buy it!". It's an Apple, they'll all buy it!
    I think the screen size will remain largly the same because of the aspect ratio. Apple will keep their aspect ratio consistant so that all Apps can look good on all their devices. It's one of the big plusses they have over android, which some Apps look better on some phones than others due to different screens.
    So it'll just be quicker, better battery, and probably a new design. iOS 5 will probably be their big sell this year. The iPhone is selling itself.

An increase in size doesn't have to change the aspect ratio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement