Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And a screen increased in size with a maintained apect ratio will have no effect on the appearance of apps etc as long the as resolution is unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I just want a iphone 5, im fed up with my temp nokia phone, all i have to play is snake.

Launch seems to be first week in October http://modmyi.com/content/5230-leaked-internal-best-buy-memos-reveal-details-about-iphone-5-launch-sprint.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Please hope this is true. I'm on iPhone 3gs for the past 20 months and lately the 3G is not working due to the 3G chip getting fried. I was tempted to change to iPhone4 in July but resisted.
    I think Apple HAVE TO release this new phone ASAP. They will loose too much ground if they dont. I see Samsung S2 is out and looks impressive and also Nokia got a new one out soon as well.
    Lets just hope the iPhone5 blows them out of the water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

An increase in size doesn't have to change the aspect ratio.
    True, but in terms of width it will, and I don't think Apple will make the new phone any wider.
    I could be wrong of coarse, but this is a speculation thread, isn't it? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn't rule it out. Many of the recent rumours suggest it will be wider but also a good deal thinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Dades wrote: »
    And a screen increased in size with a maintained apect ratio will have no effect on the appearance of apps etc as long the as resolution is unchanged.
    But you can increase the resolution proportionally and the Apps will look similar, (sharper on the higher res screen obviously). Like the resolution of the 3GS is 480 x 320, and the 4 is 960 x 640. So a match, exactly double. The SGS2 for example then is 800 x 480, which wouldn't suit an unmodified iPhone app.
    That's why I think they will keep the same size screen. Trimming the fat off the top and bottom as someone said would be possible, but to stretch the screen size they'd need to make it wider, making the whole phone look a bit too square.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

So is there anything happening tomorrow then? its gone a bit quiet...

They can still increase the screen-size (not the resolution) somewhat and maintain "retina display" - that is a display where the human eye cannot distinguish individual pixels. This is described as above circa 300 ppi, with the iPhone 4 screen having 326 ppi.

I'd settle for a "squarer" device to have a slightly larger screen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dades wrote: »
    I'd settle for a "squarer" device to have a slightly larger screen. :)

christ no...I much prefer the 3gs shape rather than the iphone 4 shape...I keep dropping the bloody thing :(

I mean squarer as seen from the top! (Wider and shorter)

I don't really care if it has rounded sides or not. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

As long as it's shiny and made by apple, I'll buy it!

Groinshot wrote: »

PLEASE! dont give the fandroid trolls ammunition!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Groinshot wrote: »

At least you're honest :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

BDJW wrote: »
    At least you're honest :p
    I'm honest, but that's not why I'm waiting to see what apple bring to the market.

I use mac at home, and currently have an iPhone(probably with +200 euro worth of apps on it) and it would be a shame for me to move from something that works so well for me. If the iPhone 5 lives up to it's hype (faster processor a must for me, although methings anything is better than my 3G at the minute, and also a bigger screen would be nice) then I'll happily shell out on release date. However, if I feel fobbed off(slimmer design, cheaper model) I'll tell them to **** off and go buy an atrix or galaxy SII on apples release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Was there supposed to be some kind of announcement today? I saw the 7th September being a date bounce around for something

Was there supposed to be some kind of announcement today? I saw the 7th September being a date bounce around for something

Someone just picked a date :D No reason to suspect anything today. The way I see it they will announce a press conference a week before it so. Im betting we will have a date next week. With a press conference the week after that and a launch just over a week after that. I thought about this so I must be 100% accurate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Doylers wrote: »
    Someone just picked a date :D No reason to suspect anything today. The way I see it they will announce a press conference a week before it so. Im betting we will have a date next week. With a press conference the week after that and a launch just over a week after that. I thought about this so I must be 100% accurate :D

I am going to hold you to this Doylers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Lot of people saying it'll be the 7th. Another load saying the 14th. But yeah it probably will be announced a week before the date of the keynote and then the release coming in the next two or 3 weeks. Hoping iOS 5 will be out on the announcement date rather than the release date.

Still no GM seed yet. Think it's up to beta 7 so the Gold Master could very likely be the next version. Hopefully :)

I am going to hold you to this Doylers :pac:

Do :D

• Advertisement

Possible release in the first 2 weeks in October from these internal documents leaked from sprint.

Most rumours now are all pointing to the following:

September 14th: invites sent out
    September 21st: iPhone 4S/4G/5 announced at keynote
    October 7th/14th: iPhone release date

Still all rumour but ya never know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

DubDJ wrote: »
    Possible release in the first 2 weeks in October from these internal documents leaked from sprint.

Most rumours now are all pointing to the following:

September 14th: invites sent out
    September 21st: iPhone 4S/4G/5 announced at keynote
    October 7th/14th: iPhone release date

Still all rumour but ya never know :D

*cough* photoshop *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Apple rep (apparently the one in charge of releasing the iphone 5 here) that called into o2 last week said it will be released "in the next week or 2"

Homer wrote: »
    *cough* photoshop *cough*

Haha even with the documents taken out of the equation it's most likely them dates will still be somewhat accurate. Otherwise they're running very close to the end of year. It's already 4 months overdue :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

DubDJ wrote: »
    Haha even with the documents taken out of the equation it's most likely them dates will still be somewhat accurate. Otherwise they're running very close to the end of year. It's already 4 months overdue :(

Who says they have to release an updated phone every 12 months?

I'm happy with the spacing between the ip4 and the new generation!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

stacexD wrote: »
    Apple rep (apparently the one in charge of releasing the iphone 5 here) that called into o2 last week said it will be released "in the next week or 2"

Closely followed by "maybe" or "probably" or "possibly":rolleyes:

eeloe wrote: »
    Who says they have to release an updated phone every 12 months?

I'm happy with the spacing between the ip4 and the new generation!

Well going back to every iPhone announcement since the first in 2007 they have released a new one every June/July. It's just the norm to release one every 12 months I'm not saying they have to.

I'm glad they have left it so long Atleast I'm gettin good use from my current iPhone. I'm curious to what this update will be like though :D

It's business sence, and good business sence from Apple.

Give the junkies their fix every 12 months for the first 4 iPhones, then bang, they hold out, increases the 'want' level....rumors start even more, getting the fan boys even more riled up!

If samsung, nokia etc only released one phone a year it'd be the exact same.

• Advertisement

How many phones have samsung released this year? Galaxy, galaxy hd, galaxy II....overkill.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement