Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Throw in also how no one is really sure what the update is going to contain.

Last year it was obvious, better camera, front facing camera, better processor, the retna display.
    Maybe people didn't know to as much an extent what was to be included, but they had ideas. But not this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dman001 wrote: »
    October 15th is a Saturday, has Apple ever released a product on a Saturday??
    Much more likely the 14th (Friday) I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

CMpunked wrote: »
    Throw in also how no one is really sure what the update is going to contain.

Last year it was obvious, better camera, front facing camera, better processor, the retna display.
    Maybe people didn't know to as much an extent what was to be included, but they had ideas. But not this year.

there are still a few obvious choices. i'd be very surprised if the next iphone doesnt contain: A5 processor, 1GB ram (doubtful though) 8mp/1080p camera (sony ericsson have all but confirmed this) and a 64 gb options. its the logical thing to do.

they may also be exploring the LTE area, which means nothing to us over here, but is a big buzzword stateside, and as we all know apple phones have been the opposite of the east>west technology trends. we all remember scoffing at the lack of 3g on the first iphone, when us europeans had it for years. the yanks had no use for it, so it was left out.

the only wildcards are the screen size and form factor, no one can pin this down. they may also skip the A5 and have a better cpu ready for it (1.2 dual core?) which will follow on in the ipad 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

there are still a few obvious choices. i'd be very surprised if the next iphone doesnt contain: A5 processor, 1GB ram (doubtful though)

You'd be very surprised if the iPhone doesn't contain 1GB of ram?

But you think it's very doubtful that it will contain 1GB of ram?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Iphone 5 will have 512mb of ram and will be released on October 5th.

• Advertisement

Edit - apologies, just to remove the dupp post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Posting it twice doesn't make it any more true :P:D

Regardless of any release date, we are yet to have any announcements on invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

gzoladz wrote: »
    Iphone 5 will have 512mb of ram and will be released on October 5th.

Glad someone here knows exactly what is happening

mad muffin wrote: »
    Posting it twice doesn't make it any more true :P:D

Regardless of any release date, we are yet to have any announcements on invites.

What if there is no big event?
    Is there any chance that we could just (well, americans) wake up and see a video released from apple headquarters of a smaller than usual briefing of just core very select secret individuals.
    Tim Cook reveals the iphone and shows that under his name, apple approach stuff like announcements very differently?

CMpunked wrote: »
    What if there is no big event?
    Is there any chance that we could just (well, americans) wake up and see a video released from apple headquarters of a smaller than usual briefing of just core very select secret individuals.
    Tim Cook reveals the iphone and shows that under his name, apple approach stuff like announcements very differently?

Its apple, they will make a big song and dance about the new iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I had all my apples in the basket for invites to be sent out today. Or maybe tomorrow. But they have to give Atleast a weeks notice before the event. If it is next week and they have the announcement at the end of the month then it'll be close to November by time Ireland receives the iPhone 5. I'd hate to be holding out for the new model it would be killing me waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DubDJ wrote: »
    I had all my apples in the basket for invites to be sent out today. Or maybe tomorrow. But they have to give Atleast a weeks notice before the event. If it is next week and they have the announcement at the end of the month then it'll be close to November by time Ireland receives the iPhone 5. I'd hate to be holding out for the new model it would be killing me waiting.

Due to a series of unfortunate events I'm using my x10mini as my sole phone for about a month now. It's a great back up phone but for day to day use it's driving me mad. If there isn't an announcement in the next two weeks I'm buying an sgs2.

Due to a series of unfortunate events I'm using my x10mini as my sole phone for about a month now. It's a great back up phone but for day to day use it's driving me mad. If there isn't an announcement in the next two weeks I'm buying an sgs2.

Thats what I was thinking for the people who have a really outdated phone now and need an update. I wouldn't like to be looking for a new iPhone this year. Let's hope the announcement comes soon to end all the rumours once and for all. (So we can start up the iPhone 6 rumours :D)

quad_red wrote: »
    there are still a few obvious choices. i'd be very surprised if the next iphone doesnt contain: A5 processor, 1GB ram (doubtful though)

You'd be very surprised if the iPhone doesn't contain 1GB of ram?

But you think it's very doubtful that it will contain 1GB of ram?

:D

Apologies, I meant I'd like it to have a gig if ram, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

there are still a few obvious choices. i'd be very surprised if the next iphone doesnt contain: A5 processor, 1GB ram (doubtful though) 8mp/1080p camera (sony ericsson have all but confirmed this) and a 64 gb options. its the logical thing to do.

1080p maybe, prob will. But that's only 2MP.
    Most people don't have a clue about resolution, Full HD sounds amazing, but a 2-3mp camera is scoffed at, even though its the same resolution. A camera a little higher up allows for some digital zoom for stills. But there's no need to go to 8MP imo, the screen can't display it, and it will increase file size, which makes it worse on storage as well as increasing 3G data. Plus with the tiny sensor, its a poor quality 8MP

They prob will make it 8MP, for marketing purposes, but I'd rather they didn't. Meh I suppose those that have a clue have the option to down scale

The only reason i would like to see an 8mp camera is that you can have the option to take a full quality aspect ratio without the need to turn the phone to the side.

Mellor wrote: »

1080p maybe, prob will. But that's only 2MP.
    Most people don't have a clue about resolution, Full HD sounds amazing, but a 2-3mp camera is scoffed at, even though its the same resolution. A camera a little higher up allows for some digital zoom for stills. But there's no need to go to 8MP imo, the screen can't display it, and it will increase file size, which makes it worse on storage as well as increasing 3G data. Plus with the tiny sensor, its a poor quality 8MP

They prob will make it 8MP, for marketing purposes, but I'd rather they didn't. Meh I suppose those that have a clue have the option to down scale

Indeed, unless you're going to print full resolution copies of the pictures you take, there's really no need for more than 5mp. Even my 3GS had I think the best 3.2mp I've ever used, the lack of flash letting it down.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

France telecom CEO Stephane Richard quoted as saying iPhone 5 to be released October 15

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a340624/iphone-5-to-debut-on-october-15-says-france-telecom-ceo.html

conor_ie wrote: »
    France telecom CEO Stephane Richard quoted as saying iPhone 5 to be released October 15

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a340624/iphone-5-to-debut-on-october-15-says-france-telecom-ceo.html

That is a Saturday...not gonna happen. October 5 is my day.

We should take bets.

Im gonna take the 12th.

• Advertisement

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-radical-new-design-hinted-by-case-mate-15180089/#entrycontent

case designs again. Were seeing the mute button moved to the other side again along with a wider form and rounded edges.

http://modmyi.com/content/5300-leaked-iphone-5-screen-protector.html

screen protector again showing screen increase with wider home button

• Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are only renders so by no means definite. But prob some substance.

But there no surprised there either.
    Pretty much what I expect. tHe slim, flat cross section of the iphone 4, but swapping the 90degree edges for a tapered (front) and rounded edge (rear).
    I don't vare where the buttons are tbh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Macrumors (via 9to5 mac)reckon weeks away yet, and that there will be two models, high and low end. Good news for those on 18 month contracts from launch.....

Macrumors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Doylers wrote: »

You have to give Nick Denton props for persisting with that horror of a redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Doylers wrote: »

Turns out it's fake.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/19/iphone-4s-is-likely-an-early-prototype/

You have to give Nick Denton props for persisting with that horror of a redesign.

One must wonder.

It's crazy how long they've waited to introduce this new model. It's getting so late in the year at this point.

Rumours say that the GM seed of iOS 5 could be sent out this Friday so the invites might be sent out very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I've gotten three phone calls from O2 in the last few weeks telling me that i'm entitled to a gold upgrade. When I tell them I'm not interested in any of the phones they have, and that I'm waiting for the iphone 5, they said that it's not going to be released til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've gotten three phone calls from O2 in the last few weeks telling me that i'm entitled to a gold upgrade. When I tell them I'm not interested in any of the phones they have, and that I'm waiting for the iphone 5, they said that it's not going to be released til next year.
    They're just trying to get you to sign up. The rep gets commission if they can lock you into another contract by getting an upgrade.

• Advertisement

it's not going to be released til next year.

O2 lie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement