Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

August 24, Stage 5: Sierra Nevada - Valdepeñas de Jaén 200km

• 23-08-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭

Sierra Nevada - Valdepeñas de Jaén

A day of contrasts

Race director Javier Guillén and his organising team were clearly impressed with last year’s stage into Valdepeñas de Jaén, where the 23 per cent ramp to the finish surprised many and produced a superb winning effort from Igor Antón. This year’s race heads back into the small Andalucian town twice. Before that, the day starts with a rare descent from the ski resort, then heads across a parched, open landscape where the wind could be a factor. It could be a day for a small break to stay clear but even if that is the case ,the main contenders will face off on the finishing ‘wall’.

stage_5_map_600.jpg

stage_5_profile_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Oh! this finish would seem tailor made for Martin. I fully expect him to be in the mix again. Assuming the break doesn't stay away that is!!

Just found this on cyclingfans. This is the same stage finish from last year and gets up to 27%. Jump to 1min in to see how terrifyingly steep it gets!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kvGlb0UpM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Meh, Temple Hill is steeper :pac:
    Dan the man & Nibali are sure to be there, but I fancy Rodriguez, I think he'll time his attack better this year. I can't see Wiggins being up there contesting the finish, just doesn't go well in my brain !!

In the break today are: (1min17sec ahead):
    147 D. Malacarne (ITA, QST) +2:24
    173 Fröhlinger (GER, SKS) +6:14
    47 Taaramäe (EST, COF) +17:56
    159 Slagter (NED, RAB) +23:58
    7 P. Sagan (SVK, LIQ) +24:54
    71 M. Albasini (SUI, THR) +26:00
    119 Madrazo (ESP, MOV) +26:33
    25 Palomares (ESP, ACG) +37:33

112 García Acosta (ESP, MOV), Abandoned

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Anton is fecked again... not good seeing dan sitting near the back too

He's moved back up. It's possible he was at the back trying to encourage Roche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Good lord, that is horrendously steep!

EDIT: Rodriguez takes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

looks like dan lost a bit of time there... jrod looking really strong... nico in 8th! great ride for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Roche in 8th there? Great job if so! (EDIT: Just checked the time standings, definitely finished in 8th, only 8 seconds behind. Wonderful. :) )

Martin lost 29 seconds, finished in 30th on the stage.

What the standings should say, I think: Martin drops to 18th overall at 1'04 off Chavanel while Roche is in 25th at 1'48.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Great performance for Roche, shows he still has the ability just lack of base training is killing him in the long grinding climbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Was that wiggins who trashed his bike earlier? Switched on to see a Pinarello in half. Not a great advert either for Pinarello or Spanish roads if it was a hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Has Dan Martin somehow lost 40seconds?

He is listed 24th overall ( 1min 44 seconds behind Chavanel)

He was 11th yesterday (1min and 6 seconds Chavanel) and gained 2 seconds on him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

God that aussie commentator on the ITV4 highlights is awful!:mad:

Bukman13 wrote: »

He was 11th yesterday (1min and 6 seconds Chavanel) and gained 2 seconds on him today.

Weird. Wiggan's was 25sec behind Martin on the GC yesterday. He was 9sec
    ahead of Martin in today's stage so should still be 16sec behind him on the GC, yet he's up as being 24sec ahead of him overall!! What's going on??

^^^ on second thoughts it's probably just a mistake. Hopefully they fix it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

@irishpelotonCillian Kelly
    Dan Martin wore the Vuelta's white combination jersey today. First Grand Tour jersey worn by an Irishman since Kelly wore green in 1989.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seligehgit wrote: »
    God that aussie commentator on the ITV4 highlights is awful!:mad:

i'm sort of getting used to it (justr skimming through recorded live coverage though)
    ashleey wrote: »
    Was that wiggins who trashed his bike earlier? Switched on to see a Pinarello in half. Not a great advert either for Pinarello or Spanish roads if it was a hole

nope
    Team Sky rider finishes stage, avoids serious injury

After crashing at 70kph, Team Sky's Kurt-Asle Arvesen would be excused if he abandoned the Vuelta a España, but the hearty Norwegian soldiered on to finish stage 5 in Valdepenas de Jaen in 169th place, safely inside the time limit.

Arvesen was on a descent in the middle of the 187km stage when a child crossed the road in his path, and the rider could do nothing to avoid hitting him.

The Norwegian described the incident to VG Nett. "I saw that it was going to go completely wrong, I saw the whites of his eyes just before I hit him, fearing the worst. This is definitely the worst I have experienced on the bike," Arvesen said.

According to the report the boy ran into the road to pick up a bidon that was discarded by another rider, and was struck by Arvesen. The rider was also thrown by the impact, his bike destroyed, but Arvesen escaped only with bruises and lacerations, according to his team.

He was concerned about the boy, but said in a lucky coincidence, his team's support vehicle was parked near the scene and his masseur ran to help the child.

Arvesen was later told that the boy was relatively unhurt with some bruises and a cut lip.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arvesen-in-high-speed-vuelta-a-espana-crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

@irishpelotonCillian Kelly
    Dan Martin wore the Vuelta's white combination jersey today. First Grand Tour jersey worn by an Irishman since Kelly wore green in 1989.
    Didn't Daniel Moreno wear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

one of the leitrim morenos is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

kinaldo wrote: »
    Didn't Daniel Moreno wear it?

It passed to Dan because Moreno and Chavanel were wearing the points and red jerseys respectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Bukman13 wrote: »

I'm sure I saw Dan listed at 1:04 down on Chavanel in 18th position on the Eurosport highlights last night (they only show the first 20 positions).

On the official vuelta site, he's still listed in 24th at 1:44 - http://www.lavuelta.com/11/es/resultados/index.html?e=5

:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement