Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 month old sleeping habits

Options
  • 23-08-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Our 2 month old son still wakes nearly every 3 hours during the night and usually cant get him back to sleep after about 4 or 5am.......we were then bringing him into the bed with us to settle him but now its the only way he will sleep......what can we do to make him sleep and stay in cot? If we dont take him out of the cot he just moans and grizzles all night and no one gets any sleep!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is he still fed every 3 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

sometimes he can go for 4 hours but during the night it tends to be 3 but he rarely finishes a bottle as he keeps falling asleep

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Do what works for you OP. We had our little man in the bed with us for the first 3 months. At 17 weeks we moved him into his own room without issue. I know people say that if you let them into your bed you won't get them out. But it really hasn't been out experience.

There was a while there that we'd bring him into our bed on weekend mornings and he'd sleep a little more but that didn't last long. Now he never sleeps next to me and honestly, I miss it!

well i would be happy if it happened like that! But should he not be starting to sleep a bit longer through the night now?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think it was about the 11 week mark my lad started sleeping 5+ hours.

They're all different but they do get there.

• Advertisement

he is only 9 weeks now, so hopefully another few weeks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some children do not sleep through the night for until they start school;)
    Both of mine started sleeping for 8 hours at 6 and about 9 weeks but this is apparently the exception not the rule,and my smallest would love to be brought in to the bed to snuggle and sleep:)
    While I was breast feeding it was easier for her to sleep with me due to exhaustion on my part!!

well he grizzles during the night too because he suffers a bit with windy tummy so hoping once his system matures a bit more, he will start to sleep for longer. Just hope we have not trained him to wake every 3 hours now expecting a feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

He's still pretty young Winnie, so he'll probably go through a few more 'routines' that don't seem to last too long. Just try and do what feels best for him and for you, and make sure you're getting enough sleep yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Winnie don't worry, you can't give him bad habits or train him at this stage. My son is 7 months and looking back he was constantly changing as were his sleeping patterns. We coslept for months and still do at times yet he also goes into his cot without any problems.

With my son he changed by himself and without any influence from me at 11 weeks. He started sleeping longer, he wanted to go to bed at 7.30pm and he wanted naps during the day. I just took my cues from him.

• Advertisement

well last night my son slept in his cot from 9pm - 2am but then once I put him back in his cot after his feed his just squirmed and grizzled until we eventually got up with him at 7:30am this morning! He just doesnt seem to sleep well after his middle of the night feed, even though he is clearly tired. Like I said think its his tummy, even though we wind him as much as we can and feed hiim upright etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I know this sounds silly, with him being so young and all, but is the cot cold when you put him in it? You know when you've been sleeping some where cosy yourself and you got to bed, it takes a while for you to settle back down, maybe it's the same for him? Could you put a hot water bottle in the cot while you're feeding him, to keep the cot warm and then take it out when you're putting him back in?

Otherwise for a little bit you could just keep taking him back into your bed. I know everyone warns against it, but at the end of the day if it gets you some rest too then I don't see the harm in it.

maybe it is a little cold, I never thought about that, ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

he is only 2 months! my daughter didnt sleep till she was 1 year thru the night. young Babies rarely sleep through the night .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Winnie I just remembered I started using the sleepbags around 11 weeks as our fella used to do exactly the same thing after his 2am feed. The sleepbags definitely helped. I suppose they feel the warmth of you and your bed and then you plonk them back in a cold cot!

Advertisement