Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS and LC results

• 23-08-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Does anybody have any good resources regarding the UCAS system and the LC?

I know that for UCAS grade requirements, tariff points and a personal statement (and possibly more...?) all come into play, but I'm very confused as to how important each one is?

I've looked up a number of courses and none of them mention anything about tariff points, just grade requirements (e.g. AAABBB). But As at A-Level are 80 per cent and over- is there any chance a B1 in LC would count as an A?

Also, the tariff points seem slightly unfair, or is there a reason for this? For example, I got 455/600 in the CAO system, which equals to 355/540 in the UCAS system. That's a much worse ratio.:confused:

Are they very strict about meeting grade requirements exactly, or can something like a personal statement make up for it and count as well? I can't figure out how it all works.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

It all depends on the university. None of the unis I applied to through UCAS, or the ones my friends applied to, used UCAS points and relied on grades instead!

There is some leeway in regards to not meeting the exact grades! :) I got my course and didn't meet the grades! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

It all depends on the university. None of the unis I applied to through UCAS, or the ones my friends applied to, used UCAS points and relied on grades instead!

There is some leeway in regards to not meeting the exact grades! :) I got my course and didn't meet the grades! :D

How far off were you, may I ask? :) I'm curious because all of the courses I want seem to ask for very high grade requirements.:( I don't think AAAABB here, for example, is as common as AAB would be over there (a typical conversion).

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Meller wrote: »
    Does anybody have any good resources regarding the UCAS system and the LC?

I know that for UCAS grade requirements, tariff points and a personal statement (and possibly more...?) all come into play, but I'm very confused as to how important each one is?

I've looked up a number of courses and none of them mention anything about tariff points, just grade requirements (e.g. AAABBB). But As at A-Level are 80 per cent and over- is there any chance a B1 in LC would count as an A?

Also, the tariff points seem slightly unfair, or is there a reason for this? For example, I got 455/600 in the CAO system, which equals to 355/540 in the UCAS system. That's a much worse ratio.:confused:

Are they very strict about meeting grade requirements exactly, or can something like a personal statement make up for it and count as well? I can't figure out how it all works.

The personal statement is equal to the grades afaik. The personal statement and your predicted grades are what yet you the offer. If your predicted grades are nowhere near your required you won't get an offer.
    I'm not 100% but I donn't think UCAS counts all your subjects. When I checked the max tariif points you could get was 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I looked for the UCAS thread that I thought there was but I couldn't find it! Thought there was one that explained it all!

Advertisement