Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

corn yields

• 23-08-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

what kinda yields are ye people getting with ur crops
    had one field of barely yield 4ton /acre on that 11 acres there was 105 bales of 4x4 s and 340 small square bales ,our wheat doing around 4.3/acre and bout 10plus 4x4s acre ,wish every year was like this one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

We have winter oats, The corn is ripe but the straw is still very sappy trying to hold off a bit longer to see if it dries out more, first time to grow it so dont know how long it will take, but will probably have to cut it high next week if its not any further on, will update on the yield then

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mick2706

Had all winter barley this year and averaged 4 ton to the acre at an average of 16.5% moisture. 14 bales to the acre then after that so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Spring barley average 3.6t, winter wheat 4.8t and winter/spring oats 3.3t. All around the 18% moisture.
    Proteins are low - 8% in the barley so none passed for malting. We cut some barley for a neighbour that was 2.5t and down as low as 6% protein :eek: But then he wouldn't spread butter!
    Know what you mean about the winter oats. Was a bit odd cutting them tbh. Although the grain was ripe there was water splashing up on the cab! Stalks were full of water. The grain went in at 17% though.
    Straw is good enough - about 9.5 bales to the acre. Not a bad harvest. The long ripening and late aphid spray on the barley saved the day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone ever hear of a big white combine in the states?:eek:

http://tak.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251377&mid=1919757#M1919757

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

6600 wrote: »
    Know what you mean about the winter oats. Was a bit odd cutting them tbh. Although the grain was ripe there was water splashing up on the cab! Stalks were full of water. The grain went in at 17% though.
    Straw is good enough - about 9.5 bales to the acre. Not a bad harvest.

Did you find it was hard to get the oats to go through the combine? how high did you keep the header up, our contractor tried inside the gate a few days ago and pulled out straight away, said it was too hard to cut it, the straw that came out the back looked to be in bits, hopefully if it dries a little more it will flow through better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

As a total non arable farmer in the poor west, I often wonder if any of wheat growers, keep any of the wheat for kitchen use? Does herself ever demand a sack of it for bread making?
    Am I asking stupid questions here?:eek:

F.D wrote: »
    Did you find it was hard to get the oats to go through the combine? how high did you keep the header up, our contractor tried inside the gate a few days ago and pulled out straight away, said it was too hard to cut it, the straw that came out the back looked to be in bits, hopefully if it dries a little more it will flow through better

Kept it up about 6 inches, the shoots were probably still holding the rain that fell a couple of days before. Went through the combine ok but had to go slow. Throwing a small bit out but nothing major. Oats can be ripe when the plant isn't. Ideally you would spray off but you could lose a lot of grain in a tall crop.
    Neighbours had to pull out as well last Sunday as it was 24% so yours just might not be ripe yet. A good fine day and she'll saw through it no bother. A week makes an awful difference.

BeeDI wrote: »
    As a total non arable farmer in the poor west, I often wonder if any of wheat growers, keep any of the wheat for kitchen use? Does herself ever demand a sack of it for bread making?

AFAIK any Irish wheat that makes milling quality for breadmaking is blended with better quality English stuff. We just don't get the sunshine here for Grade I wheat so it mightn't be great stuff if you did keep it.
    Also 'herself' doesn't have the arms to be grinding corn, a bag of flour would want to get a lot more expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

BeeDI wrote: »

Saw a grow your own type growing and manually harvesting oats if some kind, to use in porridge. Growing in west Clare, and flogging at farmers markets. I suppose he can somehow manually dry small volumes to deal with moisture issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chesera

I had a disasterous yield with new varity I tried this year called Snakebite. Same poor yield over 4 different fields. Only common denominator is the variety. Any similar experiences with this breed????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

chesera wrote: »
    I had a disasterous yield with new varity I tried this year called Snakebite. Same poor yield over 4 different fields. Only common denominator is the variety. Any similar experiences with this breed????

We grew a good bit of snakebite this year and did 2.9-3.4/ac so far so very happy with it, not to run you or your farming practices down but things like sowing rates/date, disease,fertilizer and perhaps the biggest factor Soil type can all have an affect on your yield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

chesera wrote: »

just in the door from cutting snakebite white label for a farmer i say its yielding 3.5 plus tonne /acre ,i sowed it and was late enough sown cant rem de date , its after maize got 3 bags of 18-6-12 and 2bags of can 27% its heavy ground and its as clean as a whistle no scutch or any weed in it

uncle had it too his yielded 3.2 acre

Cut the winter oat's yesterday, yielded 3.25 ton /acre, about 18% moisture. straw still wet enough will take a few days to dry, but got it down to 6-8 inches so happy enough, fair play to our contractor he done a good job

Advertisement