Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Pluto a planet?

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Apaarently its naht but i tink its a planet cos my science taecher sed it wos! ??? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its a dwarf planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Plug wrote: »
    Its a dwarf planet.

But technically it doesn't orbit the sun on the same course? SO IS IT A PLANET AT ALL??????1111111111!111!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto#Classification
    The debate came to a head in 2006 with an IAU resolution that created an official definition for the term "planet". According to this resolution, there are three main conditions for an object to be considered a 'planet':

The object must be in orbit around the Sun.
    The object must be massive enough to be a sphere by its own gravitational force. More specifically, its own gravity should pull it into a shape of hydrostatic equilibrium.
    It must have cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.[133][134]
    Pluto fails to meet the third condition, since its mass is only 0.07 times that of the mass of the other objects in its orbit (Earth's mass, by contrast, is 1.7 million times the remaining mass in its own orbit).[132][135] The IAU further resolved that Pluto be classified in the simultaneously created dwarf planet category, and that it act as the prototype for the plutoid category of trans-Neptunian objects, in which it would be separately, but concurrently, classified.[

I was a bit disappointed at it's demise as a planet but it doesn't change much. The probe "new horizons" is on its way to it as we speak. Funnily enough, Pluto was a planet when New Horizons launched but lost it's planetary status afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

It IS a planet but for some reason they say it isnt :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

What intrigues me is how can a "dwarf planet" not be a planet. :)
    ## It must have cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.
    Is Jupiter no longer a planet? Jupiter Trojan

Planet Pluto Abú. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

If Pluto is a planet then we would have to call Eris, Makemake, Haumea and Ceres planets too, as well as all the yet undiscovered bodies as large as those. The list would be endless.

All of those bodies do not meet the conditions on the list.

OP, I'd worry more about my grammar than whether Pluto is a planet or not, if I was you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

djhaxman wrote: »
    If Pluto is a planet then we would have to call Eris, Makemake, Haumea and Ceres planets too, as well as all the yet undiscovered bodies as large as those. The list would be endless.

So? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

djhaxman wrote: »
    If Pluto is a planet then we would have to call Eris, Makemake, Haumea and Ceres planets too

Ceres was a planet for about 50 years after its discovery, then it was an asteroid until 2006, now it's a dwarf planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Ceres was a planet for about 50 years after its discovery, then it was an asteroid until 2006, now it's a dwarf planet.

Exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Dwarf planet = a celestial body that is just big enough to be spherical. I think that Mercury is the smallest true planet. i.e. a body that has it's own orbit around the sun.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

If pluto was a planet then our solar system would have possibly hundreds of planets.

Simple as that folks. It's a dwarf planet, not big enough to be a planet.

BULLER wrote: »
    If pluto was a planet then our solar system would have possibly hundreds of planets.

Which would obviously be intolerable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Isnt it out in the Kuyper Belt and have a moon almost equal in size to it so that it could actually be termed a binary system unlike any of the other know planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

OP please use proper spelling and grammar. It's least amount of courtesy you can show when asking people to devote their time to answering a question for you.
    So instead of summarising I'm just going to post the video clip with the appropriate time start. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Malty_T wrote: »
    OP please use proper spelling and grammar. It's least amount of courtesy you can show when asking people to devote their time to answering a question for you.
    So instead of summarising I'm just going to post the video clip with the appropriate time start. :p

wow, great video, that guys got buckets of charisma,he is like the Mohammad Ali of Science

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

One of the reasons that Pluto isn't a planet is that it is not big enough to exert a large enough gravitational pull to clear its surrounding region of debris, one of the criteria that a celestial body must fill before it can be called a planet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Stephen Fry said its not so..end of thread

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Thanks for the replies everyone
    Damokc wrote: »
    Stephen Fry said its not so..end of thread

Stephen Fry is far too pro-British for me to take anything he says seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

When does a hill become a mountain and a stream become a river?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

shanered wrote: »
    When does a hill become a mountain and a stream become a river?

Surely that's more appropriate to ask in the Geography forum? As far is science is concerned definitions aren't based on the popularity of their use among local people. So I'd very much hope that the definition of Mountains is such that it is chosen in a way to further the understanding of the plate tectonics and the like.
    (Iirc, it has to do with the steepness and elevation.)

In the case of astronomical definitions, it's basically taxonomy based on the most useful and pragmatic definitions available to us. Radians instead of degrees for trigonometry if you prefer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I really think they should send Pluto a certificate or something and make it an honorary planet...after all..it's been generally accepted as one for a long time.
    ...akin to an honorary degree !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Apaarently its naht but i tink its a planet cos my science taecher sed it wos! ??? :P

It was a planet in my youth too, and it's a planet in my eyes still ... and yes I know the earth is roundish ~ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

It was, but its not now.!
    because the boffins voted on it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jensennhook

I thought Ceres is a moon i'm not sure if what planet, that's what i read from a book:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Is it a dwarf planet or a planetesimal? Either way, it's not a planet - if it were then we'd have to make larger planetesimals in the Kuiper belt planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I thought Ceres is a moon i'm not sure if what planet, that's what i read from a book:p

No it is not a moon in that it does not orbit a planet. It is most certainly in the asteroid belt.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Yes its a planet, just cause a few astronomers decided they didnt want it to be a planet dosent mean its not, Pluto is a planet in the solar system and always will be.

Pluto is a planet in the solar system and always will be.

Ceres, Pallas, Vesta and Juno are planets in the solar system, and always will be.

Or perhaps they never were?

Or perhaps it's just a matter of definitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I hate the fact they downgraded it to a "dwarf planet"

Surely a group of dwarves should argue this as it makes them out to be "dwarf humans" and not human..........:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

This is language they speak on pluto???

Advertisement