Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Chihuahua

• 23-08-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi Guys, Does anyone have any information on chihuahua breeders? Im hoping to get a puppy in the next few months. Ive done my research and Im pretty certain this is the dog for me but its very hard to find good information on reputable breeders and I dont want anything to do with any puppy farms.

The likes of donedeal is a little scary as the prices that breeders are advertising vary wildly! Also, some of the dogs being sold as chihuahua's dont much resemble chihuahuas at all!

If anyone has had a good experience with a breeder and could pm me the details it would be much appreciated. I am based in the South West so breeders based in Munster would be great but I could travel if necessary. Ideally i am looking for a long haired chihuahua but Im not too bothered either way.

Also, could you give me a ballpark idea of what you have paid as estimates seem to range from 300 euro to 1000 and I havent a clue what to expect or what sounds reasonable.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ill give you one good bit of advice, stay well away from Donedeal if you are looking for a pedigree dog.

Have you contacted any of the breed clubs through the IKC at all? Why not pop along to a dog show and talk to some of the breeders and find out when they might be planning a litter in the future and get to know them and stuff.

Chihuahua's would usually go for around €1000 or so, so be prepared to pay big money for a well bred dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/keenaughts/

Chihuahua Club of Ireland
    Mrs. Marie. Thorpe
    (086-6042526)(Between 3pm & 6pm only)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I know of a very reputable breeder in Limerick. He is passionate about his dogs. He shows and his dogs do very well. I will pm you his link.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I know of a very reputable breeder in Limerick. He is passionate about his dogs. He shows and his dogs do very well. I will pm you his link.

Thanks a million :)

You are welcome...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

No probs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The woman who bred my girl has since moved back to England so I can't recommend a breeder directly, however contacting the breed club or attending a show or 2 could turn up a few good breeders. My girl would only be pet quaility & she cost €800,.they can go as far as €1300 for show quaility. Chi's can suffer from a range of different genetic problems so finding a good breeder is a must.
    Best of luck, they are the most amazing little dogs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated. The costs are high and I may need to rethink my time scale as to when I can get the pup!

My partner would much prefer a big dog like a boxer but will let me have my way if Im 100% sure its the dog I want. I am doing a Postgraduate research and spend a lot of time at home studying during the day so its a small companion dog I'm looking for.

I want to meet with a few breeders and adult chihuahuas to be 100% certain that they are right for us. We have had previous experience with a miniature dachshund who lives with my parents. I adore her but she has proven almost impossible to train and is not fond of strangers and I want to be 100% informed this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

most of the chihuahas i have seen look more like jrt x no way are they pure bred.

most of the chihuahas i have seen look more like jrt x no way are they pure bred.

They are more than likely from Donedeal as ive seen some on there that look nothing like Chihuahua's.

Advertisement