Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recesed lights

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

anyone know whats the minimum depth i can leave a suspended cieling (under concrete slabs) if i want to put in recesed lights. id like as high a cieling as possible .if i leave 4 inshes ill only have 8 foot cielings.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i've seen them up around 100mm or less to bottom of slab and spots fitted

you've have to measure the light exactly to be sure

and take into account any manuf. instructions or building regs

ideally the grid should be low enough to tie the wires completely off the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

under building regs you need a minimum of 2400mm AFFL.

Depending on the lgiht fitting, but as M_Ceebee says you shouldn't go less than 100mm, otherwise it's a pain in the arse to get fittings in, considering M&E crossovers (if they occur over the light fitting)

Also, the less of a ceiling void you have, the less choice you have for fittings, and the more likely it is you will pay more for the fittings, which may be inferior to deeper fittings.... what type of recessed lights are you using? 600x600 modulars? downlights? spot lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdesbt

im just considering downlighters in the kitchen. do you know if id get downlighters in a 75mm space..

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i got some today

they're fire rated and about 122mm deep

some are not as deep but 80mm is cutting it fine

Advertisement