Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crank creaking !

• 23-08-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Was out for a spin there today, getting some hills in. When I stood up there was a feirce creaking coming from the crank area.

I put it up on the bike stand when I got back but couldn't hear anything. Nothing seems to be loose. It seems to happen only when I'm standing on the pedals.

Any ideas? Is the crank gone or bearings etc. I'm stumped :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Could be a lot of things.

The same problem for me was that the quick release skewers needed to be re-tightened and very tightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

It could really be anything and may not in fact be coming from that area. I know it's hard to believe but lots of creaks and crunching noises are transported through the tubes to the bottom bracket area so that's where it sounds like it coming from. The steps I would take are...

1. tightening the crank bolts.
    2. tighten the seat bolt and stem.
    3. Failing that, remove the cranks and tighten the bottom bracket.
    4. If that doesn't help remove the stem and tighten the headset.

Basically tighten and grease everything until the noise goes away. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

If none of the above work and it's feasible take out the BB and grease that too, quite often fixes the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Similar to Dubba. Embarrassing creaking coming from my bike a few months back. I was certain it was coming from the cranks/bottom bracket area. Replaced BB,greased chainring bolts but the noise still remained. Read on another forum about applying some grease on the drop outs and thought it was the crazyist thing I'd ever heard to stop creaking noises. As mad as it sounds,it solved my issue.
    BTW my creak only appeared when out of the saddle on the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dubba wrote: »
    Could be a lot of things.

The same problem for me was that the quick release skewers needed to be re-tightened and very tightly.

Same problem, same solution.

Was only happening to me in the hills or starting off if the gear was too high, i.e. when I was putting down a lot of force.

Tightened the front skewer and the creek was and is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The chainring bolts can be another sneaky source of creaking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I had a 'noise' in the left crank, clicking, especially when applying power, so I left it in with my LBS and they had a look at it and they reported 'rusty water' in around the BB area. I bit the bullet and left it in with them (I was contemplating having a look at it myself) but with the SeanKellyTour coming up, I'd prefer to have it tuned up by the pros ! .......for a very reasonable €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Cool. I'll try all the above and failing that I'll drop it in to the lbs to get sorted before the weekend if possible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Don't forget loose pedals cause creaking noises too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

I had the same sort of noise a couple of weeks back and thought it was the BB. Turned out to be the cleats of my left shoe moving slightly when I stood up. Tightened the spring-loaded mech in the pedal and it went away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I had a noise from the same area last year, convinced it was to do with the pedals. Mr Skeffington thankfully knew better, it was my saddle which needed tightening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Never tought about the pedals and cleats. Must give them a look too. Think I'll tighten absolutely every thing. :)

Advertisement