Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide dog question

• 23-08-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

A guy I work with but don't know that well has a guide dog. The poor thing is in the office all day. He goes for lunch and leaves the dog tied to the chair.

I was wondering is there any reason why I couldn't walk it for him a lunch time for him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What disability has he, how do you know he's a guide dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

RubyGirl wrote: »
    What disability has he, how do you know he's a guide dog.

I know the guy well enough to know he is blind? The white stick gives it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

How is it the 'poor dog' when he gets to spend all day with human companionship? Would you prefer he was left at home on his own out in the garden?

Have you actually asked the guy why he doesn't bring his dog with him at lunch? Have you asked him yourself if you could walk the dog instead of leaving him behind? I find it a bit odd that he would leave the dog behind tbh.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    How is it the 'poor dog' when he gets to spend all day with human companionship? Would you prefer he was left at home on his own out in the garden?

Have you actually asked the guy why he doesn't bring his dog with him at lunch? Have you asked him yourself if you could walk the dog instead of leaving him behind? I find it a bit odd that he would leave the dog behind tbh.

U are getting the wrong end of the post here. I want to walk the dog for him and have no problem asking.

But as a rule I was told not to interfer with a guide dog. I don't want to upset the routine of actually guiding by taking him out of his work mode. Maybe he won't be able to snap back into it, when I bring him back.

I just want to know is it ok to do it or is tbier a reason why it might upset things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't really understand why you think he either needs or wants help, you say you have never even spoken to him. You are asking people on the internet if you should walk a virtual strangers dog. He's just blind, not deaf and dumb so ask him. Although if I were him I might be quite offended that I give the impression I'm not capable of walking my own dog. Maybe he just prefers not to take the dog into a cafe etc. out of courtesy to other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

650Ginge wrote: »
    U are getting the wrong end of the post here. I want to walk the dog for him and have no problem asking.

But as a rule I was told not to interfer with a guide dog. I don't want to upset the routine of actually guiding by taking him out of his work mode. Maybe he won't be able to snap back into it, when I bring him back.

I just want to know is it ok to do it or is tbier a reason why it might upset things.

I have no experience with guide dogs, but I would imagine they have time every day where they are not working and get to run around and just be a dog. The best person to ask is the man himself, he will know his dog best. Why don't you just start talking to him and show an interest in his dog, I know if it was me and a stranger (or someone I know but just never talked to) asked me could they walk my dog I would be hesitant to agree. That's no reflection on you, just try and put yourself in his shoes, would you let a stranger walk your dog, especially considering the dog is a guide dog which probably turned his life around considerably and probably has quite a strong bond with his dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Tbh, I doubt the OP is telling the truth. I mean, even that he knows a blind person who is a guide dog handler. Seeing as all public premises are required to allow guide dogs, I cannot imagine a person who had one going to lunch without taking him/her with. And tbh, if someone worked with me and did this, I would certainly be asking why, and if they didn't give a satisfactory answer, would be asking which charity they got the dog from, and reporting.

Something is wrong here, either with the OP's story, or with the person who has the guide dog.

ferretone wrote: »
    Tbh, I doubt the OP is telling the truth. I mean, even that he knows a blind person who is a guide dog handler. Seeing as all public premises are required to allow guide dogs, I cannot imagine a person who had one going to lunch without taking him/her with. And tbh, if someone worked with me and did this, I would certainly be asking why, and if they didn't give a satisfactory answer, would be asking which charity they got the dog from, and reporting.

Something is wrong here, either with the OP's story, or with the person who has the guide dog.

There is nothing wrong with my version of the story. I work 5 floors above this person and have no reason the speak to him as our business lifes don't cross. The fact is the dog is not walked from the moment it comes into the office at 9 and when it leaves in the afternoon. That I know for sure as it was highlighted to me bit a person that works on his floor but doesn't know him at all. U never said I was a stranger, in fact what I said was I didn't know him very well. I have spoken to him many times both before and after his accident that lead to his blindness.

The reason for asking the question here was I would have though on a animals and pets board someone might have knowledge of the rules around guide dogs. The handler is morethan capable of working the dog and I am sure that he could if he want bring his dog to the staff restaurant but he doesn't. For the dogs sake I wouldn't mind at all taking it for a lap of the local park.

Obviously on any Internet forum they will be lots of people the are simply not intelligent enough or to self absorbed to understand a simple question underfed to help a dogs welfare, even going as far as to say the op is being untruthful, you really are some bunch of ego monsters. I would bother to read future comments on this post, I will ring what ever the association for the blind is a find out the protocol for guide dogs. They might be of some use.

I am well aware the blind people are not deaf and dumb, thanks for pointing that out though it was most unhelpful.

If anyone has experience if a guide dog feel free to pm me you thoughts. If you haven't please dont to waste you and my time just because you want to be saying something and must not get real world attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I have lots of experience with guide dogs. I would see no problem in asking but you would need to know all the ins and outs with walking a guide dog, they are not like walking a regular pet dog and it is important that if you did walk the dog that it is only in an off lead area and not on lead.

The reason why he leaves the dog behind at lunch could be because the office is a more plesant environment for the dog rather then a cafe etc, it could be that his journey to and from work is a long distance which means that the dog could already be tired etc. It could be that he doesn't need the dog to be working at that time so why disturb him. Many reasons.

feel free to pm me if you have any further questions with regards to guide dogs. Being a guide dog can be a wonderful life for some dogs but the opposite for others. It just depends. Also guide dogs are not the most active of dogs in general and tend to be a little on the lazy side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would ask that all posters - OP included - be a bit nicer please.
    'Attack the post and not the poster' as they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

suziwalsh wrote: »
    I have lots of experience with guide dogs. I would see no problem in asking but you would need to know all the ins and outs with walking a guide dog, they are not like walking a regular pet dog and it is important that if you did walk the dog that it is only in an off lead area and not on lead.

The reason why he leaves the dog behind at lunch could be because the office is a more plesant environment for the dog rather then a cafe etc, it could be that his journey to and from work is a long distance which means that the dog could already be tired etc. It could be that he doesn't need the dog to be working at that time so why disturb him. Many reasons.

feel free to pm me if you have any further questions with regards to guide dogs. Being a guide dog can be a wonderful life for some dogs but the opposite for others. It just depends. Also guide dogs are not the most active of dogs in general and tend to be a little on the lazy side.

I think this is probably the answer OP is looking for.

I would have thought the same as OP that there may be rules as to people"helping" with guide dogs.
    One thing I have always wondered though is how to owners know the guide dog has been to toilet or not......or if it wants to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I can see where the OP is coming from. Guide dogs often have their little service dog badges on their harness etc which says that they're working and not to pet them etc. I know when we bumped into one at the vets one day my mum was with me and dying to pet it but wasn't sure if it was ok - but the owner said it was fine. The last time we were at the vets we met another one as we were leaving and my guy was delighted to see one of his cousins - another retriever :D but the handler hadn't sat down yet so as far as I was concerned the dog was still working and shouldn't be distracted by my eejit.

OP, there used to be a visually impaired man in the building across from us (we sit by the windows) and he'd take the dog out at break time and let him off for a run around the lake in the business park. Everyone's faces would light up seeing the dog bounding around the place :D

I would just ask them tbh - there's nothing to lose? Who knows it may encourage you to eg be a puppy walker for the guide dogs in the future? I'd love to do it at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

ppink wrote: »
    IOne thing I have always wondered though is how to owners know the guide dog has been to toilet or not......or if it wants to go?

Guide dogs are trained to go to the toilet on command (obviously excluding if the dog is unwell. They are taught to the command "busy" so it is up to the owner to take the dog to go to the toilet etc. Most dogs will get restless anyway and so guide dog owner will be aware of signs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Guide dogs are trained to go to the toilet on command (obviously excluding if the dog is unwell. They are taught to the command "busy" so it is up to the owner to take the dog to go to the toilet etc. Most dogs will get restless anyway and so guide dog owner will be aware of signs etc.

thanks Suzi. I always wondered about this or how they would know the dog is sick but i am sure other senses take over if you are unfortunate enough to lose your sight.

Advertisement