Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Coast Run (this Sunday) a race or sportive?

• 23-08-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

http://www.thecoastrun.com/

Anyone know?

It's inviting A1's 2's 3's & 4's and offering prize money yet it appears it's also offering entry fee of 15euro for non Cycling Ireland members which might indicate it's moreso a sportive ?!? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

It's definitely a race although I'm a bit skeptical of the organisation. I believe this race is the Munster League race that was previously scheduled for Sunday as no club seemed able/willing to run a race this weekend. I rang the number on the website yesterday and spoke to the guy organising it. The details are very sketchy as the race was only confirmed on Monday. For example, he wasn't sure if they'd let A4's off first or last. They are also going to cap the number of entrants to 200! I think the race is being run by Abbey Wheelers (Abbeyfeale). I don't know how they are going to marshall an 85k circuit though. I'm going to enter anyway - should be a laugh and it's probably the last A4 in the country this year (in Munster anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There is a sportif on using the same course earlier in the day. So maybe marshals and backup are already in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

I was wondering about this race myself.
    LeoD wrote: »
    The details are very sketchy as the race was only confirmed on Monday. For example, he wasn't sure if they'd let A4's off first or last..
    Did you get the impression there would be separate races for the different categories, or is it a handicapped race ?

ROK ON wrote: »
    There is a sportif on using the same course earlier in the day. So maybe marshals and backup are already in place?

Are you sure? I've looked at the website and I can't see anything about it. The website is hopeless in all fairness. The organiser(s) normally run sportives so all the info relates to sportive info - bring 2 spare tubes, a pump, etc. - This race is a last minute decision so the site hasn't been updated. There was a sportive on the same route in July that started at 9am - you can still enter that event it seems. :rolleyes:
    brainstorm wrote: »
    Did you get the impression there would be separate races for the different categories, or is it a handicapped race ?

When I spoke to him he hadn't figured out how the race would be run. At first he seemed to be implying that everyone would start together but when he said the numbers would be capped at 200 I told him that was madness he then said that the A4's might go off first. But then he changed his mind and said they might go off last. At the end of the conversation I had no idea how many races there would be or how they would be run! It was only decided on Monday to run this race and I spoke to them on Tuesday so maybe now they have a better idea of what's going to happen. I'm doing it anyway - it's a great circuit. The main street in Duagh is dug up at the moment so we'll even have our own strada bianchi section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

for those of you who are skeptical about the organisation of the event, you might as well have a look at this thread. There was a Coast Run sportive held in Galway a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it wasn't that well organised :(

• Advertisement

Some new info on the website:

"To Reassure Cyclists Safety, we will have eight radio controlled vehicles (Vans / Cars / Motorbikes) and over 50 Static Marshalls covering the route, road signs etc., further information re same to follow."

Route map also on the site.

LeoD wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Leo - I saw a flyer in my local SuperValue for the Ring of North Kerry Sportif on the same day (ie this Saturday).
    Also referenced on the following site - http://www.kerrycycling.com/2011/08/ring-of-north-kerry-cycle/

Its a 120k sportif, but from what I saw of the route map, it covers most of the same route as the race. So I out 2+2 togther and just assumed that they were related to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Coast Run Chairman

Hi All,
    Website www.TheCoastRun.com is being updated,
    latest postings

To Reassure Cyclists Safety, we will have eight radio controlled vehicles (Vans / Cars / Motorbikes) and over 50 Static Marshalls covering the route, road signs etc
    Cyclists are encouraged to register online immediately, saving €5,
    otherwise registering on the day incurs this additional fee.
    The on-line entry fee Cycling Ireland Members / IVCA Members €10, Non-Cycling Ireland Members €15.

CLARIFICATIONS,
    Its A Race,
    A1's, A2's and A3's will head off at 4pm
    Separate A4 Race, which will go off at 4.10

We would appreciate if cyclists could register immediately so that we can plan for numbers.

Not connected with Ring of North Kerry Leisure / Sportive, totally separate event.

Duagh Road works should be finished today, Tarmacadam machinery were dropped off last night (Thursday) in the Village

We will be updating www.TheCoastRun.com web site this afternoon.

Yours in Cycling
    Coast Run Chairman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Hi Chairman,

Can I ask is the race organised by a cycling club affiliated to Cycling Ireland or another entity?

Thanks for the info Coast Run Chairman. If you're reading this could you put details of where to sign-on on the website also when you get a chance or just tell us here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's Abbey Wheelers, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

8 Radio controlled Vans / Cars / Motorbikes? Awesome, as long as they don't get run over by the peleton :pac:

1-5-Big-Foot-RC-Car.jpg
    ducati_rc_motorcycle_bike.jpg
    everythingplay-radio-controlled-camper-van.jpg

It's Abbey Wheelers, no?

Not stated on the webpage so hmmmmmmmmmm ........... ?

Awaiting Chairman's reply .............

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gallybander

this guy could'nt organize sh**

Word on the street is Abbey Wheelers are defunct?!?

A domain name association leading to a link to another page doesn't contstitute a whole lot in my opinion ........

Mr Chairman .........

......... Tumbleweed ...........

This conspiracy theory nonsense that you drag up intermittently really riles me.
    Other than you who cares who is behind this. Isn't it great that there is someone that is organising cycling events.

Here is an idea - phone the number on the website listed on the Coast Run. Ask the person who they are and who is behind this event.
    I would have thought that that was how to deal with the insatiable curiosity of yours.
    Same nonsense on you BikePure quest IIRC.
    You add nothing positive to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I'm nearby enough to consider making the trip to this thing but in fairness SSB's question is a very straight forward one and its answer is one of significance for anyone who does turn up with racing in mind (particlarly with respect to being properly insured and indemnified as a proper C.I. approved and supported event would be, whatever about the caliber of organization).

Temporarily locking this while I review it. Sorry to all concerned.

Reopening this thread now.

Insinuating that someone is running an unsanctioned race is a very serious allegation.

I can find no evidence that Abbey Wheelers are doing such a thing.

Slideshowbob has been banned. I'll only consider lifting that ban if can furnish evidence of his allegations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

According to Cycling Ireland (website) Abbey wheelers have no listed chairman, secretary or treasurer.
    They are thus not an "acceptable" club as per CI rule G1 (2).
    I think this makes SSB's queries quite valid. The organising club must meet CI's rules and regs otherwise the CI insurance may not cover events organised by it.
    Rule quoted below as are the listed details on Abbeywheelers.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/getattachment/6d0cb862-3446-4e33-90bd-555f9bd0ec31/TR-R--2011-Final-Jan-11-V18.aspx

Club Name Abbeywheelers.com Address Limerick
    Province Munster Telephone 0 Email info@abbeywheelers.com Chairperson N/A Secretary N/A Treasurer N/A Location

CI rules state:

"Races will be promoted only by an affiliated club, or by an individual or group, approved by Cycling Ireland on payment of the appropriate fee."

As I said in my earlier post, I'll unban SSB if he furnishes evidence that this is an unsanctioned race.

The race website says its being run under the auspices of CI.

Obviously anyone doing the race can check with the commissaires that all is in order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Probably getting myself into trouble here but that seems way harsh.

Seems like a valid enough question at the start. Ssb maybe a bit of a **** stirrer at times (not this time) but I get the sense that he's well seasoned and knows his sh*t.

If we all had to find out about the facts about races etc. offline then what's the point of the cycling forum?!

chakattack wrote: »
    If we all had to find out about the facts about races etc. offline then what's the point of the cycling forum?!

Would you prefer if someone made an allegation about you in public before first establishing it beyond doubt that it was correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Would you prefer if someone made an allegation about you in public before first establishing it beyond doubt that it was correct?

No but similarly I'd be less than impressed if I entered a badly organised, dangerous or uninsured race and appreciate it being called as it is.

chakattack wrote: »
    No but similarly I'd be less than impressed if I entered a badly organised, dangerous or uninsured race and appreciate it being called as it is.

As would I. But as yet nobody has furnished any concrete evidence of this. And as such, it is unfair be making these allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

Sure if it's on Cycling Ireland's website as a club then it's a properly registered club??

So, how did the event work out?

So, how did the event work out?

It didn't. A complete and utter farce. The 'race' was cancelled at 3:30pm - 30 minutes before it was supposed to begin - when there was a grand total of 16 riders present. There was no commissaire, no marshalls, no lead cars, no ambulance, nothing.

• Advertisement

Feck - so the speculation was justified so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Was it some kind of scam?

Not a scam - just shambolic organisation. To be fair to the race organiser, I would have to believe that he genuinely wanted to hold a race, unfortunately he just didn't appear to know how to do it. Abbey Wheelers no longer exist so he was trying to do this all on his own which anyone who has ever organised an event like this will know is practically impossible. He offered everyone present petrol money which was decent but it should never have got to this in the first place.

I admire your understanding and sympathy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Out of interest, on this linked thread the same website was used for the Galway coast sportive.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73779078

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

FTR SSB was banned permanently from this forum for suggesting this event might be suspect.

It's on the dispute resolution forum at present. All posts other ha SSB's and mod/Cmod/admins are deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I admire your understanding and sympathy!

I would not be so kind.

My club is 10km up the road and we supported this event 2 years back. What few marshals were present seemed to know very little about cycling and they openly compained that they were not being advised about what was going on. In the A3 race the lead car pulled up abruptly before the finish line and nearly took out entire front of the field sprinting to the line. Driver told me after he did not know finish line location. Vowed never to attend this race again as organisation on the day was chaotic.

I am shocked to hear this club is still being allowed run events as I did their sportive later in the same year and same chaotic organisation.

Cycling Ireland need to put their house in order here. They authorised this event and people down here know the reality about this club.

Everyone wants cycling events but they have to be managed properly. Personally I am glad to hear the event was cancelled and peoples saftey not put at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

i was there and felt sorry for the guy, but....for good luck not enough showed up because this was just plain wreckless and would have been very dangerous, the scale of marshalling and garda backup required for an event like this through busy towns and on main roads would be huge, i just saw one person there and i was in Listowel all day so they hadnt been there and gone home.....
    does anyone know if cycling ireland sanctioned this event, if so I'm shocked.....
    No Abbey wheelers there either, SSB reinstated ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you have any issue with mod actions, PM the mods, or use the report post button (which will alert all the forum Mods and CMods)

Please do not discuss Mod actions or refer to items within the dispute resolution process in-thread, otherwise you can expect to receive an infraction and/or ban.

Thanks

Beasty

So, I'm wondering if we suspect that an upcoming event might be dangerous for lack of organisation and safety precautions, or that an event might be a real scam, is there any way that we can raise the alarm without getting a lifetime ban "for suggesting this event might be suspect"??

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So, I'm wondering if we suspect that an upcoming event might be dangerous for lack of organisation and safety precautions, or that an event might be a real scam, is there any way that we can raise the alarm without getting a lifetime ban "for suggesting this event might be suspect"??
    Maybe if you had PM'd the Mods as requested in my previous post you would have got an answer. As it is you've decided to ignore the warning given and question moderation in thread

I don't think there is anything more to add to the topic in question, so I'm closing the thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement