Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teaching course

• 23-08-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

Where in Ireland is the best college too study too become a teacher.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well what kind of teacher do you want to be? Primary or secondary?

You're going to get loads of different opinions, none of them wrong because every has a different experience of the college they went to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Well what kind of teacher do you want to be? Primary or secondary?

You're going to get loads of different opinions, none of them wrong because every has a different experience of the college they went to.

Well I've worked with young kids for a long time. so I would say Primary.

Has anyone gone to the states and teached over there after getting there qualifications. Also how long are the courses etc how many years does it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Kathnora

Cena.......sounds like English is not your first language? Correct? I don't mean to be offensive but your English would have to be of Leaving Cert standard in order for you to be considered for entry to any primary teaching degree course.

Kathnora wrote: »
    Cena.......sounds like English is not your first language? Correct? I don't mean to be offensive but your English would have to be of Leaving Cert standard in order for you to be considered for entry to any primary teaching degree course.

No your wrong. It was never my best subject. But i've got to get on with my life can't let it get me down. I've had loads of help as a child with the subject etc

cena wrote: »
    Well I'v worked with youngs for a long time. so I would say Primary.

Has anyone gone too the states and teached over there after getting there qualifications. Also how long are the courses etc how many years does it take?

At the moment in Ireland the courses are 3 years duration for the Bachelor in Education degree, this is being increased to 4 years in the near future. There are a number of Primary Teaching Colleges in Dublin and one in Limerick which offer the course. If you have a level 8 degree already you can do a HDip postgrad in education to qualify as a primary teacher which was 18 months, I think it's gone up to 2 years now. You also have the option do the HDip online with Hibernia College rather than full-time in one of the Colleges of Education. Neither course is 'the best' one to get into, geographical location may be a factor for some in choosing one over the other, competition is tough for all of them and they all lead to the same qualification at the end of the day.

Here's where they are :
    • The Church of Ireland College of Education, Upper Rathmines Road, Dublin 6. - Course only available to members of the Church of Ireland.
      Telephone (01) 497 0033
    • St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
      Telephone: (01) 884 2000
    • Mary Immaculate College, South Circular Road, Limerick
      Telephone: (061) 204 300
    • Froebel College of Education, Sion Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
      Telephone: (01) 288 8520
    • Coláiste Mhuire, Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9.
    • www.mie.ie
    May I ask how is your Irish? All the colleges in Ireland requiring at least a Grade C3 in Higher level Irish Leaving Certificate standard to get into the course. You can go to the UK to gain a primary teaching qualification without the Irish requirement, however you will have to pass a SCG test in Irish within a certain timeframe (I think it's 5 years) of returning to Ireland to bring your Irish up to the standard required to teach it in schools here.
    You also need at least a D in ordinary level maths or C in ordinary level English, or D's in higher levels of these subjects. :)

• Advertisement

At the moment in Ireland the courses are 3 years duration for the Bachelor in Education degree, this is being increased to 4 years in the near future. There are a number of Primary Teaching Colleges in Dublin and one in Limerick which offer the course. If you have a level 8 degree already you can do a HDip postgrad in education to qualify as a primary teacher which was 18 months, I think it's gone up to 2 years now. You also have the option do the HDip online with Hibernia College rather than full-time in one of the Colleges of Education. Neither course is 'the best' one to get into, geographical location may be a factor for some in choosing one over the other, competition is tough for all of them and they all lead to the same qualification at the end of the day.

Here's where they are :
    • The Church of Ireland College of Education, Upper Rathmines Road, Dublin 6. - Course only available to members of the Church of Ireland.
      Telephone (01) 497 0033
    • St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
    • Mary Immaculate College, South Circular Road, Limerick
      Telephone: (061) 204 300
    • Froebel College of Education, Sion Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
      Telephone: (01) 288 8520
    • Coláiste Mhuire, Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9.
    • www.mie.ie
    May I ask how is your Irish? All the colleges in Ireland requiring at least a Grade C3 in Higher level Irish Leaving Certificate standard to get into the course. You can go to the UK to gain a primary teaching qualification without the Irish requirement, however you will have to pass a SCG test in Irish within a certain timeframe (I think it's 5 years) of returning to Ireland to bring your Irish up to the standard required to teach it in schools here.
    You also need at least a D in ordinary level maths or C in ordinary level English, or D's in higher levels of these subjects. :)

My Irish is so bad. I do wish some times it was better. Mathes I found really tough in secondary school. so I wasn't great. i did Ordinary level for nearly the year in lc. But I didn't do It on the day of the test in ordinary. The teacher wasn't that great we had. More times than not the class would be stopped due the class making here cry and having to leave the class.

My Irish is so bad. I do wish some times it was better. Mathes I found really tough in secondry school. so I wasn't great. i did Ordinary level for nearly the year in lc. But I didn't do It on the day of the test in ordinary. The teacher wasn't that great we had. More times than not the class would be stopped due the class making here cry and having too leave the class.

What did you mean by this ? You sat the higher paper or didn't sit the ordinary at all ??

Anyhow, you're going to have to certainly brush up on your Irish if you are serious about doing primary teaching in Ireland. If you didn't get the Higher C3 required, you can apply to sit it as an external candidate next year and look into attending night classes/grinds/going to the Gaeltacht in your own time to give yourself every chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moving this to Teaching and Lecturing.

What did you mean by this ? You sat the higher paper or didn't sit the ordinary at all ??

Anyhow, you're going to have to certainly brush up on your Irish if you are serious about doing primary teaching in Ireland. If you didn't get the Higher C3 required, you can apply to sit it as an external candidate next year and look into attending night classes/grinds/going to the Gaeltacht in your own time to give yourself every chance.

I did lower than ordinary. I'm a bit a shamed of it

I don't want to put you off cena, or criticise you, but if you did Foundation Maths for your Leaving Cert and you struggled with Irish, I'm not sure that you would be able to get into a Primary Education degree. I know we are not supposed to comment on people's grammar and spelling on boards because people do have difficulty with English etc, but I thought the same as Kathnora, that English was not your first language. I hate to say it, but there are loads of errors in your posts and it's the kind of stuff that you have to have correct when teaching primary school students. At that level, they are being taught spellings and grammar and they have to be taught English correctly.

You would need to put a serious amount of work in English, Irish and Maths before you would consider doing primary teaching.

• Advertisement

I don't want to put you off cena, or criticise you, but if you did Foundation Maths for your Leaving Cert and you struggled with Irish, I'm not sure that you would be able to get into a Primary Education degree. I know we are not supposed to comment on people's grammar and spelling on boards because people do have difficulty with English etc, but I thought the same as Kathnora, that English was not your first language. I hate to say it, but there are loads of errors in your posts and it's the kind of stuff that you have to have correct when teaching primary school students. At that level, they are being taught spellings and grammar and they have to be taught English correctly.

You would need to put a serious amount of work in English, Irish and Maths before you would consider doing primary teaching.

Agree with this 100%.

Cena if you would like to work with children you could perhaps look into doing a FETAC level 5 in Childcare Studies or Montessori to gain a qualification to work with children in pre-schools/creches/montessori schools. These courses are avalable in many vocational PLC colleges throughout the country, and wouldn't necessarily need specific standards of English Irish and Maths as set by the Colleges of Education for Primary Teaching, a pass Leaving Cert would suffice & you would probably have to do a interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

This has to be a wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

This has to be a wind up

That did cross my mind too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

yosser hughes, if you have a problem with a post please report it rather than commenting on-thread. Thanks.

Agree with this 100%.

Cena if you would like to work with children you could perhaps look into doing a FETAC level 5 in Childcare Studies or Montessori to gain a qualification to work with children in pre-schools/creches/montessori schools. These courses are avalable in many vocational PLC colleges throughout the country, and wouldn't necessarily need specific standards of English Irish and Maths as set by the Colleges of Education for Primary Teaching, a pass Leaving Cert would suffice & you would probably have to do a interview.

I didn't just pass the leaving cert. I did a few higher level subjects too AND DONE REALLY well in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I didn't just pass the leaving cert. I did a few higher level subjects too AND DONE REALLY well in them

Unfortunately that's not good enough to do a degree in primary teaching. You need Honours Irish, to pass your Maths and at least a C in Ordinary Level English. This year's points were around 470.

I think you should take Sweetface's very good advice and look at FETAC Level 5 Childcare courses.

deemark wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not good enough to do a degree in primary teaching. You need Honours Irish, to pass your Maths and at least a C in Ordinary Level English. This year's points were around 470.

I think you should take Sweetface's very good advice and look at FETAC Level 5 Childcare courses.

I know about the FETAC courses. I also know that results would affect me for doing a degree in teaching. Was only looking for advice and not too be picked on about my grammar.

It's like saying that my teacher who I had for 5 years isn't great at her job. They were also my cousin and helped me a lot.

Also if your do a Fetac course it does lead into college right?

I'm already working with kids. I have done bits of of what would be in FETAC course through child minding galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Anyone getting into teacher training courses from the Leaving Cert has to have at least a higher level B2 in ALL subjects.

There's nothing spectacularly difficult in the courses, but there's a huge amount of coursework, and I do know people who just got in with the minimum points and did struggle with it. Many people on the course will have received 500+ points. This is the level needed (as it should be) for primary teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

The posters are not picking on your grammar. They were simply pointing out that your level of English falls below the requirements for a Primary teacher. It's better to have some constructive and realistic advice on this than to have people just telling you what you want to hear. Try the FETAC route. You can improve your English and Maths skills and progress through further education to gain qualifications that enable you to do the type of work that you want to. Best of luck :)

Also if your do a Fetac course it does lead into college right?

I'm already working with kids. I have done bits of of what would be in FETAC course through child minding galway

Do you mean that you have done FETAC modules in Childcare? What modules? What level? You need 8 full modules to get a full Level 5 award. You can use FETAC results to get into college (usually Institutes of Technology), but there is no direct progression into a teacher training college from FETAC.

I taught a student in the past who did FETAC Level 5 Childcare, gained entry into the Higher National Diploma in Childcare in Derry and eventually got into Primary Teaching in Liverpool.

• Advertisement

boogle wrote: »
    The posters are not picking on your grammar. They were simply pointing out that your level of English falls below the requirements for a Primary teacher. It's better to have some constructive and realistic advice on this than to have people just telling you what you want to hear. Try the FETAC route. You can improve your English and Maths skills and progress through further education to gain qualifications that enable you to do the type of work that you want to. Best of luck :)

Exactly. Nobody here wants to pick on you. But nobody here is going to tell you to apply to a primary teaching course as (I assume) a mature student and that you'll sail in. They will not accept you with the current level of English, Irish and Maths that you have. There's no point sugar coating it.

FETAC would be a good place to start to get back into education and get into college. A FETAC certificate will not be accepted for entry into any of the primary teaching degrees to the best of my knowledge though. You could use it to improve the qualifications you have and get into a different degree in the area of childcare or related courses and perhaps go onto primary teaching in the future. But realistically you will not be accepted onto any primary teaching course without Leaving Cert Higher Level Irish, and Ordinary Level Maths and English.

So really you'll have to ask yourself are you willing to work to perhaps sit these exams and bring yourself up to that standard so you can apply as a mature student or do them along with a FETAC certificate to increase your chances. Remember, everyone and their granny seems to want to get into teaching these days. As a mature student you would be up against people who already have these qualifications, possibly all at Higher Level and many of them will also have degrees in other areas. Competition is fierce for primary teaching and colleges will want to maintain as high a standard as possible which is only right when you are educating children.

EDIT: Deemark beat me to it, but just to add, even if you were to go the route she suggested, you would still have to sit the Irish exam to teach here if you became qualified in the UK.

Do you mean that you have done FETAC modules in Childcare? What modules? What level? You need 8 full modules to get a full Level 5 award. You can use FETAC results to get into college (usually Institutes of Technology), but there is no direct progression into a teacher training college from FETAC.

I taught a student in the past who did FETAC Level 5 Childcare, gained entry into the Higher National Diploma in Childcare in Derry and eventually got into Primary Teaching in Liverpool.

It would of been bits that would be in fetac courses. Got some certs out of it.

I don't want too teach in this country. It would be more international

It would of been bits that would be in fetac courses. Got some certs out of it.

What is written on the certificates - "FETAC Level 5 component certificate"?

If not, then you would need to apply to do a complete Level 5 Childcare course in a Further Education college. This course will qualify you as a childcare assistant to work in créches and pre-schools. This is an acceptable qualification for special needs assistants in primary and secondary schools as well.

Edit: courses in this country qualify you to teach in this country. You need to investigate the qualifications required by other countries or look up courses in other countries.

Exactly. Nobody here wants to pick on you. But nobody here is going to tell you to apply to a primary teaching course as (I assume) a mature student and that you'll sail in. They will not accept you with the current level of English, Irish and Maths that you have. There's no point sugar coating it.

FETAC would be a good place to start to get back into education and get into college. A FETAC certificate will not be accepted for entry into any of the primary teaching degrees to the best of my knowledge though. You could use it to improve the qualifications you have and get into a different degree in the area of childcare or related courses and perhaps go onto primary teaching in the future. But realistically you will not be accepted onto any primary teaching course without Leaving Cert Higher Level Irish, and Ordinary Level Maths and English.

So really you'll have to ask yourself are you willing to work to perhaps sit these exams and bring yourself up to that standard so you can apply as a mature student or do them along with a FETAC certificate to increase your chances. Remember, everyone and their granny seems to want to get into teaching these days. As a mature student you would be up against people who already have these qualifications, possibly all at Higher Level and many of them will also have degrees in other areas. Competition is fierce for primary teaching and colleges will want to maintain as high a standard as possible which is only right when you are educating children.

EDIT: Deemark beat me to it, but just to add, even if you were to go the route she suggested, you would still have to sit the Irish exam to teach here if you became qualified in the UK.

Thank you. I don't think I would ever get too 500+ points I'm not sure I would like too do the irish exams again. But I would like some time too improve it. Anyone know what would be the requirements for doing it in the states.

What is written on the certificates - "FETAC Level 5 component certificate"?

If not, then you would need to apply to do a complete Level 5 Childcare course in a Further Education college. This course will qualify you as a childcare assistant to work in créches and pre-schools. This is an acceptable qualification for special needs assistants in primary and secondary schools as well.

Edit: courses in this country qualify you to teach in this country. You need to investigate the qualifications required by other countries or look up courses in other countries.

I think they are getting rid of the special needs asistants in schools. Have a friend in the department of eduction and its been talked about.

Not sure whats on the certs. Not looked at it since I got it

I think they are getting rid of the special needs asistants in schools. Have a friend in the department of eduction and its been talked about.

They are certainly cutting the numbers, but getting rid of them would be impossible, unless they plan to re-establish a special schools system, which goes against every policy of inclusiveness they have been throwing at us for the past 2 decades.

They are certainly cutting the numbers, but getting rid of them would be impossible, unless they plan to re-establish a special schools system, which goes against every policy of inclusiveness they have been throwing at us for the past 2 decades.

It only came up because a special needs person has finished national school onto secondary school were she isn't getting any special needs assistants.

The women that helped her isn't going on with her and now has no job.

It could just be what your saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Thank you. I don't think I would ever get too 500+ points I'm not sure I would like too do the irish exams again. But I would like some time too improve it. Anyone know what would be the requirements for doing it in the states.

I don't know what the exact requirements are for the US, but I know the qualification from Ireland isn't enough for most of the States. I think Irish qualified teachers (with just B.Ed or equivalent) are limited to very few states, which don't include more popular ones like New York, Massachusetts, California. I think you need Spanish to teach in California too.

Advertisement