Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing scopes from USA

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Lads
    I just ordered a scope from theopticzone in the US and they informed me that there is a new policy for exporting scopes to Ireland.
    They no longer require a export licence and can send the scope straight away as long as I agree not to, export re export or transfer the item to any destination use or user prohibited by US export administration regulations.
    I agreed so hope all goes well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

That would be great news and certainly speed things up a lot. so would this mean all other stores could export to us here ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

zeissman wrote: »
    Lads
    I just ordered a scope from theopticzone in the US and they informed me that there is a new policy for exporting scopes to Ireland.
    They no longer require a export licence and can send the scope straight away as long as I agree not to, export re export or transfer the item to any destination use or user prohibited by US export administration regulations.

God Bless America!

Keep us informed Zeissman.

Also, just in case you ordered a Zeiss, there are rebates floating around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Lads

Good news for a change.
    Pity my dealer never heard of this new policy:mad:
    Does this include the hole of US or only certain states??

AS i can see on their webside certain items are still prohibited for shipping international.
    Certain Brands that is.
    May be Prohibited from Shipping to an International Address
    • 4 Sevens
    • AimPoint
    • ASP
    • Axis
    • Bianchi
    • B-Square
    • Burris
    • Camelbak
    • Camlite
    • Cannon Safe
    • Carl Zeiss Microimaging
    • Celestron
    • C-More
    • Contour
    • Coronado
    • Decatur
    • Duorest
    • Eagle Industries
    • Eagle Optics
    • Evolution Gun
    • Fenix
    • Fraser-Volpe
    • Glock
    • Hatch
    • Honeywell
    • ITT Nightvision
    • Kahles
    • Laserlyte
    • Laser Genetics
    • Laser Tech
    • Leatherman
    • Leupold
    • Mag Instrument
    • Meade
    • Mepro Light
    • Microfire
    • Monadnock
    • Morivision
    • NightForce
    • Olight
    • Premier Recticles
    • Protech
    • Pulsar
    • Redfield
    • Revfire
    • Safariland
    • Samson
    • Schmidt & Bender
    • Sightron
    • SkyKap
    • Sky-Watcher
    • Smith Optics
    • Stalker Radar
    • Steiner
    • SureFire
    • Suncloud
    • Suunto
    • Swarovski
    • Tamarack (LaBoite)
    • Trijicon
    • Troy
    • Vholdr
    • Vortex
    • Wenger
    • WileyX
    • Z-Medica
    I can see quite a few scope brands here,but Zeiss doesnt seem to be on the list.
    There is Burris,Nightforce,Kahles,Schmidt and Bender,Sightron,Swarowski,Vortex,Redfield,Premier reticles etc
    But it could depend on certain Brands they will not ship international.;)
    But it could be that they havent updated there website though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I was thinking of getting a new scope from the USA but i was worried about getting stuck for import duty or tax, my lad orders things from America and ends up getting screwed. ????

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

That would be great news and certainly speed things up a lot. so would this mean all other stores could export to us here ??

I dont know. I think some stores just cant be bothered exporting items.
    Just got email saying my scope was shipped today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I would opine that importing European-made scopes from America might just be a mite more pricey than from inside the Eurozone to which Ireland belongs.

A reminder -

Zeiss
    Kahles
    Swarovski
    Meopta
    IOR Valdeda
    Dokter
    Schmidt u. Bender

There may be more, but I'm jet-lagged.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I would opine that importing European-made scopes from America might just be a mite more pricey than from inside the Eurozone to which Ireland belongs.

A reminder -

Zeiss
    Kahles
    Swarovski
    Meopta
    IOR Valdeda
    Dokter
    Schmidt u. Bender

There may be more, but I'm jet-lagged.

tac
    I would agree.
    The Zeiss conquest scopes are assembled in the US so they are worth importing because Zeiss dont sell them in europe.
    US and japanese made scopes are usually worth importing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

I was thinking of getting a new scope from the USA but i was worried about getting stuck for import duty or tax, my lad orders things from America and ends up getting screwed. ????

Can still be worthwhile if you get the right deal.
    Got two Kahles scopes from the US, one last year, one the year before. Sellers may not have known or did not care about the restriction.
    Got hit with duty with the second, about €140, COD to the postman. Worked out something around €750, however same scope here around €1300.

Hear anything bigger than a match box from the US is getting hit with duty this last year or so.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

323 wrote: »
    Got two Kahles scopes from the US, one last year, one the year before. Sellers may not have known or did not care about the restriction.
    Got hit with duty with the second, about €140, COD to the postman. Worked out something around €750, however same scope here around €1300.

Hear anything bigger than a match box from the US is getting hit with duty this last year or so.

At that kinda saving it would still be worth doing alright,
    I'm thinking something a good bit cheaper though, maybe around $150 - $200
    on a Bushnell scope so do you think it would still be worth importing it, next best would be to get it from the UK. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

At that kinda saving it would still be worth doing alright,
    I'm thinking something a good bit cheaper though, maybe around $150 - $200
    on a Bushnell scope so do you think it would still be worth importing it, next best would be to get it from the UK. ?

Could be, a friend just reminded me I got one for him on an ebay auction 3 years ago (he did not own a computer then), a new upper end Simmons. With postage it was still here for less than €50, got lucky.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

did the scope arrive? how did ya get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

this is excellent news, have long lusted after scopes on US sites at crazy low prices. I did manage to get one at a steal off US ebay. They tend to be at least 30 % cheaper and if the exchange rate is in your favour well then it can be a ridiculous saving. I would be very wary of the dreaded import duty these days as few weeks back I got the feared Harp stamped official letter from the Revenue, wondering what it could be, it was from the Customs & Excise dept saying that they had impounded my item, sent from outside the eurozone, requesting my paypal receipt so they could calculate the duty !! WTF...but what could I do and had to pay up...seems they are finally enforcing the laws ! the duty on a scope could be tearfully painful. If you are importing from US I have found that regular USPS parcels (US postal service) attract much less attention than UPS, Fedex etc. I request this when possible….i bought a bushnell tactical 6-20x few yrs back in the US and find it superb, with warne rings & a 30 moa rail on the 308 couldn’t ask for better, its as bright as my binos and totally bullet proof…my 2c

jay.b wrote: »
    did the scope arrive? how did ya get on?
    Scope arrived exactly 7 days after I placed my order.
    I did have to pay 96 euro vat & import duty though.
    The scope I bought was a clearidge xp5 4.5-22.5x50 and im very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

323 wrote: »

Thats for sure, they are being very vigilant. I ordered a camera flash a few weeks ago from a shop with a UK address who actually sent me a business card saying, and I quote 'Thank you for shopping with us. We hope you are enjoying your purchase. Sorry for misrepresenting the shipping destination........................' it was sent from Hong Kong! Trading with a UK address.

I got the receipt and 'card' a week before customs wrote to me about a digital camera they had impounded. Rang them as they were asking for paypal receipts and all kinds and I told them what happened and they just asked me the value of the item, I told the truth and they sent the postman with it and I paid.

Still very happy but be careful, especially with electronics, where the actual items are being shipped from.

On the other hand I brought a scope in some years ago from optics planet and paid the full duty and it was still about 400 less than here.

It depends on how the item is shipped, as in the service used. Certain freight companies clear customs by the container or batch and generally accept the value written on the item by the shipper.

Others that use standard postal services and certain freight companies, is pot luck as to whether you will be charged or not.

I am going to order a Sightron and am delighted to see the export issues sorted.

Thanks for sharing Zeissman and best of luck with the new scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭beretta391

let me know if you get the scope see a nice burris one i want.....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Lads

Got my new Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 delivered yesterday form the opticzone, very good to deal with and as you said no export license needed.
    Took 10 working days to get it, not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Malaga2

Lads Im thinking that the export restrictions from here applies to Military style scopes...those with Mil/Moa markings on the stadia...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I bought 2 scopes and a rangefinder from the US in the last 6 months with no hassle whatsoever and usually received within 10 days. I was very happy with a Bushnell i had got so decided to buy another and found a supplier with one. Bought it, paid for it, etc etc easy enough.
    Got an email tonight saying a Commerce License is needed to ship to Ireland and may take 6 weeks:mad: Given the option to wait or cancel the order completely. What should i do??? Anyone else in the same boat:confused:? Has the States tightened up again or is the dealer just not bothered to export overseas perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

lefthooker wrote: »
    I bought 2 scopes and a rangefinder from the US in the last 6 months with no hassle whatsoever and usually received within 10 days. I was very happy with a Bushnell i had got so decided to buy another and found a supplier with one. Bought it, paid for it, etc etc easy enough.
    Got an email tonight saying a Commerce License is needed to ship to Ireland and may take 6 weeks:mad: Given the option to wait or cancel the order completely. What should i do??? Anyone else in the same boat:confused:? Has the States tightened up again or is the dealer just not bothered to export overseas perhaps?

Yes i think they are starting to put the boot down when it comes to exports from the states.
    I experienced just the same a few months ago,the dealer sent a mail regarding info needed and it could take up to 6 weeks????
    Then after 6 weeks it ended up with that the customs returned it to the seller,and was told it was not allowed to be exported:mad:
    Luckily i have a brother in the US at the moment,and it was shipped to him.
    The old lad was just visiting,and the scope is on its way to Norway at present,so it will be sent from there when they get home.:D
    Last time i buy a scope from the US.:mad:

I tried the UK for the same scope and got a similar story, import export licenses etc. Does anyone know of a good site in NI, UK or EU that will post to our little island?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I tried the UK for the same scope and got a similar story, import export licenses etc. Does anyone know of a good site in NI, UK or EU that will post to our little island?

Posting to the Island is no hassle. It's the part of the island your in that's causing you hassle.

If you want to post it to me I can take it over the border for you and post it on. If you weren't in Wexford I could hand it to you, but I'm never down that way...

Glensman wrote: »
    Posting to the Island is no hassle. It's the part of the island your in that's causing you hassle.

If you want to post it to me I can take it over the border for you and post it on. If you weren't in Wexford I could hand it to you, but I'm never down that way...

Discrimination. Racism perhaps:rolleyes:

Thanks glensman I'm exploring another few avenues but may take you up on your offer. You may come down this corner sometime, for your cultural development if nothing else:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

My shop also posts everywhere and to those outside EU and EEA even without VAT.

In general I think that shopping in USA is worth the hassle only with budget scopes and some brand that have strange EU price policies. Premium brands are cheaper in EU than in US and there is a lot less problems is you have a warranty claim.

De_Tomaso wrote: »

In general I think that shopping in USA is worth the hassle only with budget scopes and some brand that have strange EU price policies. Premium brands are cheaper in EU than in US and there is a lot less problems is you have a warranty claim.

Tell us more about your shop, contacts, websites, stock etc... PM if you feel the need

De_Tomaso wrote: »

I would also like some info on your shop.

Binoculars and riflescopes have been my passion for more than 15 years so I eventually decided to start doing business in this field. I have an on-line shop

www.optics-trade.eu

and I sell and stock 18 different brands. At the moment the shop is in two languages but the plan is to add 3 additional languages in 2012. The shop is in a constant development progress, so I beg for understanding if somethings are not perfect.

Shipping is possible to almost the entire world and buyers outside EU and EEC can buy products without VAT(20%).

I try to put as much effort as possible to personal approach and in advising buyers what is best for there needs. There is a lot of quality products on the market, but in most cases with very different properties and finding information what is best suitable for specific purpose is sometimes difficult for buyers. Someone who hunts wild boars at moonlight has totally different needs than someone who hunts foxes and so on. So I offer personal advising.

I've been on your website a few times already and you've got a very impressive stock range, especially some of the higher end glass. Good luck with your enterprise.
    I was looking at the scope I wanted on your site but ended up going with a US dealer as the savings were massive. Not a knock at yourself, it's just the way things are.

Some brands insists on their displayed prices in EU and it is not much I can do about it. I can however offer better prices in individual deals but only if you email me. Similar problems also have other EU based shops since it is impossible to sell products with fixed prices which are 40% higher than those in the states.

Is the procedure with importing scopes in Ireland the same as in the rest of EU? You also have to pay VAT on top of US price?

P.S. @lefthooker: I would be glad if you could send PM about which product you were looking in my shop?

PM sent.
    I don't fully know the regulations surrounding imports but usually Irish Customs add VAT/Customs tax when the scope arrives in the country which I have to pay before collecting. There are eminently more knowledgable guys on here who understand it better than I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

PM sent.
    I don't fully know the regulations surrounding imports but usually Irish Customs add VAT/Customs tax when the scope arrives in the country which I have to pay before collecting. There are eminently more knowledgable guys on here who understand it better than I.

I just had to pay the postman (An Post) when my new scope arrived, no hassle at all.

Advertisement