Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat/House Share Hunting in Melbourne

Options
  • 24-08-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just wondering what people have found to be the best way to do this? Is gumtree my best option?
    Moving to Melbourne next week & hoping to get somewhere fairly quickly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hi,

Gumtree is your best bet or keep an eye on ads up on noticeboards in hostels, launderettes that kind of thing!

I will be looking for a place myself in a few weeks when I come back to Melbourne from being hols. Being looking on gumtree to get an idea and there is plenty out there but depends on your weekly budget and what areas you want to live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I found that putting your own 'Wanted' ad up saying you are looking for a place will attract interest. Worked for me! Also pay the 5 dollars to have it highlighted or premium or whatever

Munky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Found my place on gumtree too. You have to keep at it though. It will pay off in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

I found flatmatefinders to be the best by a long way of the various websites I searched over here. I didn't get any reply to attempts to contact people via Gumtree - too much interest per ad perhaps - and for much of the other sites you need to rent a property rather than share an already let place. I saw 7 or 8 places within a week of signing up to flatmatefinders and got offered most of them. The handy thing is you're matched up with people of the same interests, age group etc., depending on your search criteria. The rental equivalent of a dating site really!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Thanks for the tips everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Looking myself, have to get it sorted before next week if I can. Anyone know what the cheapest area is near Flinders Station or Southern Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

spent 2 months looking on estate agents sites etc and got nothing, add went up on gumtree on a Sunday was moved in on the Friday. Gumtree is the best option in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Depends on how long you plan on staying for. If it is more long term then real estate websites and get an unfurnished place on a 6 or 12 month lease. Works out a lot cheaper. You would have most of your furniture paid for with the savings over 12 months against furnished places and you can always make some money back by selling it on when your leaving.

Short term place are much harder to find. Gumtree really probably is your best bet for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

O.P. it depends on how long you are going to stay in the one spot. If it's short term...upto 4 months you would probably be better off staying in a hostel. I know you said you'd like your own space but it's a great way to mix and get contacts with people. You have a lot of things happening in the better hostels and it would help in making friends, getting to see the city etc. Accommodation in Melbourne is pretty expensive. It depends on what you want to have around you...cafes, shops, things to do etc..if you're not bothered by that you would get much cheaper rent in suburbs a bit further out or at least out of the real popular spots. I secured my place through Gumtree. The suburb didn't have much around it in terms of cafes, shops, nightlife etc but it was well connected with buses and trains..had a bus stop outside my house. My rent was really cheap and while I didn't have much to do around me, it didn't bother me too much as I was working during the week anyway.
    Staying in a hostel for even a small while would also give you time to get to know the city and where you would and wouldn't like to stay.
    Best of luck anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement