Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more bins

Options
  • 24-08-2011 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any input would be appreciated.
    I have move in a new house in Castleknock and I rang Waste management in Fingal County Council to get bins. I was told FCC have stopped taken new customers (presumably because they are ceasing waste collection by the end of the year). So I rang Panda, Greenstar, citybin to no avail.

Does anybody know of more waste companies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Our Estate in Blanch use Mahon's Waste www.mahons.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Panda to no avail? Sure they are mad looking for business! What did panda say exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

With the announcement that Fingal are ending their bin collection service at the end of this year, who are the best value alternatives?

At present, the current yearly flat fee + €8 tag per lift is perfect for me as I only put my bin out every 6-8 weeks.

Do the other operators offer similar service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Panda is as follows

€ 88.00 a year

€ 6.40 a black bin lift

Plus during the snow they didnt miss a collection, unlike fingal (in my estate anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Do Panda charge for a brown and green bin lift or is that covered under the 88 euro yearly fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

its included in the yearly price

I see Greenstar are the same price as Panda.
    Anyone using their service? Is it reliable, was it during the cold spell last winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

brightkane wrote: »
    Panda is as follows

€ 88.00 a year

€ 6.40 a black bin lift

Plus during the snow they didnt miss a collection, unlike fingal (in my estate anyways)
    ^
    same here that's why we moved to panda, no probs they txt you to remind you that they still do pick up on bank holiday mondays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

lads,do not get over-excited ... once FCC is out,due to bad management or politics,Panda will have monopol on this service...it will became a premium service for us,the ordinary people !!

so ,enjoy it now,until end of year !!

PS:
    but,so far,no complaints regarding Panda quality of services,i kind of forgot how is it with FCC !

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jaypea1

athtrasna wrote: »
    Our Estate in Blanch use Mahon's Waste www.mahons.ie

No luck with Mahons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56875078

see above post on panda waste charges . seems excessive. if its true, were in for a shock at the end of the year. with fcc stopping refuse collections at end of year, these private companies will call the shots.

No offence meant but those weight charges are clearly marked on the Panda website and are for the Drogheda//Dun Laoghaire area only.
    http://panda.ie/household/dun-laoghairerathdown/prices.html

The Fingal prices are as mentioned above by brightkane with no mention anywhere of per kilo lift.
    http://panda.ie/household/fingal/prices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

axle108 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56875078

see above post on panda waste charges . seems excessive. if its true, were in for a shock at the end of the year. with fcc stopping refuse collections at end of year, these private companies will call the shots.
    ongarite wrote: »
    No offence meant but those weight charges are clearly marked on the Panda website and are for the Drogheda//Dun Laoghaire area only.
    http://panda.ie/household/dun-laoghairerathdown/prices.html

The Fingal prices are as mentioned above by brightkane with no mention anywhere of per kilo lift.
    http://panda.ie/household/fingal/prices.html

Surely as soon as Fingal stop providing service, Panda can charge what they like.

There will be no council provided service (and pricing) to keep in line with.

I foresee huge rises in waste charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

no offence taken. but as you can see from your links, there is a sizeable difference in the cost between the two areas by the same company. and your right there is no mention of the per kilo lift "at the moment".

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

ongarite wrote: »
    With the announcement that Fingal are ending their bin collection service at the end of this year, who are the best value alternatives?

What announcement exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I have checked the Fingal Co co website and I cannot find any mention of ceasing their bin collection service. Anyone got a link to official announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

40kg limit for Panda in Fingal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

nesbitt wrote: »
    I have checked the Fingal Co co website and I cannot find any mention of ceasing their bin collection service. Anyone got a link to official announcement?

There is none.

• Advertisement

Update on my case.
    I have emails from ozo, citybin, thornton, greenstar, panda and greyhound confirming that they don't serve the estate.
    I rang FCC to let them know of the emails, the lady kept repeating that FCC is winding down its refuse collection by the end of this year and is not taking new customers.

Do I have a legal right to get FCC to take me on as a customer since the private operators do not serve my estate? At the moment I am sharing my neighbours bin. Is it worth the hassle to go after FCC to take me on, knowing that a private operator will take over next year? (The lady did not say who will take over FCC refuse collection)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

This comes across as a bit of a rant, and it's not clear to me whether Fingal are closing the service (mention of redeployed jobs) or selling it as a going concern (generally what privatisation means).

Fingal need to get their finger out and issue an official statement on what there plans are, as do the existing private collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My understanding of what I've read in the papers was that the fingal service is losing customers to the private operators, and its getting to the point where the fingal service is unsustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Get onto your local councillor or TD and get them to take it up for you.

It would seem that my trouble getting bins is over as panda has taken over FCC waste management.
    "Fingal County Council has reached agreement with Panda, for the sale of its residential and commercial waste collection service. The agreement was reached following a competitive sale process involving a number of waste management companies operating in the private sector. "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The announcement is on FCC web site and includes a FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Press Release
    Fingal County Council confirms sale of its waste collection business
    Fingal County Council today announced that it has reached agreement with Panda, for the
    sale of its residential and commercial waste collection service. The agreement was
    reached following a competitive sale process involving a number of waste management
    companies operating in the private sector.

Confirming this development, David O’Connor, Fingal County Manager said, “In November
    of this year, Fingal County Council will have had three successive years of cost reductions
    and falling income levels across our range of services”. “The challenge of continuing to
    deliver core services becomes greater each year”, he said. “With this in mind, an
    independent review on the viability of our waste collection service was carried out earlier
    this year”, the Manager continued, “and it concluded unequivocally, that there was no
    prospect of this service being delivered by the Council on a cost neutral basis in the
    current competitive waste services market”. “It is with regret therefore”, the Manager
    confirmed, “that the Council has had to withdraw from the waste collection service”.
    “Today’s decision will allow Fingal County Council to deploy our staff and resources to
    other key service areas”, he said.

The County Manager extended his sincere appreciation to Council staff involved in Fingal
    County Council’s waste collection service over the years and thanked them for their
    committment and loyalty. “I would also like to thank the many thousands of our citizens
    who availed of our service over the years”, he added, “and assure you that you will
    continue to receive your normal waste collection service during the transition process to
    your new service provider”. “We will be working closely with Panda to ensure that the
    switchover is as seamless as possible”, the Manager said.
    Managing Director at Panda Eamon Waters confirming the announcement said "We are
    delighted to have this opportunity to take care of all of Fingal's household waste and
    recycling needs”. “We strive to deliver the highest standard of service at all times at
    competitive prices”, he added. “Fingal County Council are a very environmentally focused
    County Council and we will continue this tradition on their behalf for the people of
    Fingal." he said.
    For more information contact:
    Florence White, Fingal County Council. M: 087 414 1580
    John Dunne, Panda Waste Management. M: 087 255 3879
    ENDS 05/10/11

Frequently Asked Questions
    Transfer of Fingal County Council Waste Collection Service

Why is Fingal County Council no longer providing a waste collection
    service?
    The combination of customer loss, reduced revenue and increasing operating
    costs are the background factors.

I am an existing customer. Who will be taking over my waste collection
    service?
    The Council has signed an agreement with Panda who will now provide the waste
    collection service to all existing Fingal County Council customers.

Who decided that the Council would stop collecting the bins?
    The decision was made by the County Manager following an independent review of
    the service which clearly showed that the Council could not continue to subsidise
    the losses incurred on the service to the detriment of other important Council
    services.

How did you decide on Panda?
    Once the decision was made to withdraw from the Waste Collection service, a
    competitive process involving a number of companies in the waste collection
    business was held. Taking all factors into account, including best value for
    money for the Council, agreement was reached with Panda for the transfer of the
    service.

When will Panda take over Fingal County Council’s waste collection
    service?
    Panda will take over collection of the black and brown bins from Fingal County
    Council Waste customers from the 1st November 2011.
    The green bin will continue to be collected from Fingal customers who transfer to
    Panda until the 1st January 2012, by Greyhound Recycling on the days and times
    outlined in the 2011 Green Bin calendar.
    Panda will collect green, black and brown bins from former Fingal County Council
    customers from 1st January 2012.

Will my waste collection day change now that Panda are providing the
    service.
    Your collection day will stay the same for the moment. There may be gradual
    changes introduced to routes over time and Panda will notify customers in good
    time of any intended change to the collection day or collection time for black or
    brown bins. Unless customers are notified otherwise bins will be collected on the
    day indicated on the current Fingal County Council Black and Brown Bin
    collection calendar. There should be no change to the Greyhound Green Bin
    collection calendar for the rest of 2011

What will happen to my bins/will I be getting new bins?
    There is no need to change your bin. Panda will arrange to re-label your Fingal
    County Council bin over the coming months.

Will the new service cost me more?
    The Council worked hard to ensure that Panda has guaranteed to freeze the
    annual charge and tag/lift charge at the current price for all existing Fingal
    County Council customers for 2012.

Do I still need to use a bin tag each time I put the bin out?
    Yes. The only change planned between now and the end of 2011 is the replacement
    of Fingal County Council bin tags with Panda bin tags. Panda bin tags will be
    available in the shops in November 2011.

I still have Council bin tags – can I continue to use them?
    Yes. Council or Panda bin tags will be accepted on the bins until the end of 2011.
    No new Council bin tags will be available from November 2011.

Will my green and brown bin collection service still be collected at no
    extra charge
    Yes.

I am a Fingal County Council customer but have a waiver for my charge.
    What does this mean for me?
    Panda will continue the waiver scheme for 12 months from the date of transfer of
    the service for existing waste customers who qualified under the Councils waiver
    scheme.

Can I still apply for a waiver? Can I apply for a waiver next year?
    No new waiver applications have been accepted by Fingal County Council since we
    decided to withdraw from the waste collection service. Panda will not accept any
    waiver applications.

I have a Fingal County Council waiver and I’m moving house - who should I
    notify?
    If you are moving address within Fingal between now and the end of October
    contact the Council at 01 8906708 and we will update your account. If you move
    house within Fingal after 1st November you must contact Panda at 1850 62 62 62

What happens to Fingal County Council staff working on the waste
    service?
    Council staff who work on the waste collection service will be redeployed to
    provide other services within Fingal County Council.
    Will there be any changes to Council recycling centres?
    Fingal County Council recycling centres are provided for any member of the public
    to use and are not included in the service being provided by Panda. The recycling
    centres will continue to be operated in the same way by Fingal County Council.

The press release and FAQ they kept that bloody quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Moved into a house in the Castleknock area this month.

I rang Fingal last week and was told that they werent taking new customers.

I rang Panda and they said they didn't serve Castleknock.

What do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Ring greyhound.

http://www.greyhound.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tails142 wrote: »
    Moved into a house in the Castleknock area this month.

I rang Fingal last week and was told that they werent taking new customers.

I rang Panda and they said they didn't serve Castleknock.

What do I do now?

The FAQ section of the FCC release above said Panda will be taking all existing FCC customers so I can't understand why someone in Panda would say that. Did you get their name? Get in touch with the Panda contact as included in the release above and ask for clarity and complain about the inaccurate info you are getting from Panda.

John Dunne, Panda Waste Management. M: 087 255 3879

Advertisement