Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more bins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 minnymouse

panda are not servicing that area until they offically take over on the 1st Nov. From the 1st of Nov they will take over all the areas fingal used to do. Maybe you just heard them wrong when you rang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would have assumed FCC would have to take you till Panda took over. How else could it work? There are other bin companies around aren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 minnymouse

I would have assumed that fcc would take customers on while they are waiting on the change-over. They seem to be saying one thing & doing another. If they service the area, then you should be able to at least buy a tag or something form them just to have the waste taken away.

Its all very confusing if you ask me

I would get the name of the person in FCC to confirm that in writing or an email, then once you've got it, tell them you'll be passing it on to the local politicians. That might light a fire under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I suppose now the Panda refuse collection price will now go up "coincidentally" in the New Year? :cool:

• Advertisement

I'd lay odds the price going up some point over the next 12 months is a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Arciphel wrote: »
    I suppose now the Panda refuse collection price will now go up "coincidentally" in the New Year? :cool:

My grandmothers renewal is next month, she got a letter stating that at renewal she will have to pay 88 euro up front and then 6.40 euro for every time the black bin is lifted, green and brown are included in the 88 euro charge. She will be billed bi-monthly for the 6.40 charge so you don't have to pay it up front.

My renewal is not until April so I have a while yet till I stop paying the standard charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

January wrote: »
    My grandmothers renewal is next month, she got a letter stating that at renewal she will have to pay 88 euro up front and then 6.40 euro for every time the black bin is lifted, green and brown are included in the 88 euro charge. She will be billed bi-monthly for the 6.40 charge so you don't have to pay it up front.

My renewal is not until April so I have a while yet till I stop paying the standard charge.

I supose that is fair enough as it will incentivise people to segregate their rubbish, recycle more etc. Although I wish they would satrt taking glass in the green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Arciphel wrote: »
    Although I wish they would satrt taking glass in the green bin.
    Broken glass would contaminate the entire bin. Just bring glass with you when you are doing your grocery shopping. Tesco Roselawn and Superquinn Blanchardstown both have glass bins. Others might have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There is a set of bottle banks around the side of the drive thru McDonalds in the blanch shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'm surprised that the waiver scheme is being discontinued, thought FCC might subsidise this for Panda but it's probably a reason why their service is loss-making. It'll inevitably mean more litter due to increased illegal dumping, windblown rubbish from overfull bins etc.

Wonder if FCC will increase their litter pickers to deal with this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm surprised that the waiver scheme is being discontinued, thought FCC might subsidise this for Panda but it's probably a reason why their service is loss-making. It'll inevitably mean more litter due to increased illegal dumping, windblown rubbish from overfull bins etc.

Wonder if FCC will increase their litter pickers to deal with this?

Agreed on the fly tipping, it's already on the increase from what i've been seeing.

As for extra litter pickers or even litter wardens, it's hard to see this happening as it's another cost for FCC, plus they certainly wouldn't be in a position to employ more staff given the current embargos.

Gaspode wrote: »
    As for extra litter pickers or even litter wardens, it's hard to see this happening as it's another cost for FCC, plus they certainly wouldn't be in a position to employ more staff given the current embargos.

I'm pretty certain of this too, would have made some sense to redeploy even a few bin staff to the litter unit(s) (seeing as they know the problem areas) but joined-up thinking rarely happens...

Litter problems (especially Fingal-wide ones that might occur) are a magnet for media coverage though; piles of rubbish make for good pictures. I can see FCC scrambling next year if/when it happens, especially if it's related to their withdrawl of services.

FFs we didn't want to use Panda, it's not worth our while as we only put out the black bin about once a month and now we are stuck with them. Another example of bringing in 'competition' to shaft people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

January wrote: »
    She will be billed bi-monthly for the 6.40 charge so you don't have to pay it up front.

Are they assuming she'll be putting the bin out twice a week ? Ours only goes out about once every 6 or 7 weeks at the moment, I would have assumed that Panda will charge per lift without some sort of minimum collection ?

Edit: Should have read the faqs, a tag system will continue.
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Files/Environment/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions%20Waste%20Collection%20Service.pdf

BostonB wrote: »
    I'd lay odds the price going up some point over the next 12 months is a given.

Correct 1 month...:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75017551#post75017551

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

Sharrow wrote: »
    FFs we didn't want to use Panda, it's not worth our while as we only put out the black bin about once a month and now we are stuck with them. Another example of bringing in 'competition' to shaft people.

why is it not worth your while using panda ?
    panda were cheaper than the council last year and are the same price as the council for the next year.
    you were being shafted last year by the council when panda were cheaper

when you only put your black bin out every 4/6 weeks FFC worked out cheaper, Panda only works out cheaper if you are putting the black bin out every 2 weeks or so.

I wonder will Panda let ex-FCC customers switch to their electronically-tagged bins for 2012? Both current Panda customers and transferred FCC ones will be paying the same charges for the same service, but the methods of payment would be different.

I think the paper tags are a pain, and I'd much prefer just to be billed quarterly (or whatever). As a practical side effect I could also leave the bins out the night before without risk of anyone taking the tag off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

Sharrow wrote: »
    when you only put your black bin out every 4/6 weeks FFC worked out cheaper, Panda only works out cheaper if you are putting the black bin out every 2 weeks or so.

i dont know what deal you were on but when i looked into it at this time last year the only option from the council was 110 per year and 8 per lift.
    so panda was cheaper at 88 per year and 6.40 per lift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

First day of Panda bin collection on my road in D15. The collection lorry arrived at 07.05am and 7.25 for black and brown bins respectively. No one had left out their bins. I was up and about and just needed to leave out my brown bin so got that collected. Residents here were used to FCC collecting bin in the afternoon. I have lived here for 10 years and it was unheard of for bins to collected so early.

Why is this a problem you may ask... Well if you leave your bin out the night before ready and tagged. The bin could well be upturned but your tag will definitely be stolen from the bin. No I'm not kidding....

I really wish they would now have the good sense to cease the tagged part of the payment completely.

It all depends on your route nesbitt, our brown and black bins under Fingal have always been collected between 6 and 7am. My road anyway never had issues with tags been stolen and bins overturned and we're pretty much on the route home from the local for half the estate.

Same here. But tags are still a pain. This day and age they should have a ID on the bins they can scan.

Agree absolutely re. the tags, can't see why there isn't a barcode system or something similar. Although you would have certain groups complaining about it.

Of course are the cheapest method for the operator as the customers absorbs the cost. Otherwise the operator would have the cost of the system and the scanning equipment etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Our bins have chips in them, but we were with Panda anyway... I'm sure they'll chip them all in good time...

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Look,Fingal co Council refuse collections are gone,finito,defunct,forget about them,Panda have agreed to honour Fingals customers annual payments until 31st of December 2011.Come the 1st of January 2012 its 110 euro annual charge plus 8 euro per black bin lift for all Panda customers,the waiver that Fingal gave to unemployed,pensioners stays until December 2012,thats the deal.Come January 2013 then thats when the **** will happen,none of us know what theyre going to charge until then, so best to make the most of them until then because I reckon after that we will be paying an absolute fortune for our refuse collections!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

pity theses guys aren't in the area yet!

http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-dublin-sign-up

Got the letter in the door from Panda asking us to sign up, not like we have any other bloody options and no info in it about tags or about the chritmas pick ups.
    Fingal.

Fingal Tender Customers.

Monday Collections. If your collection day falls on a Monday and you came over to Panda as part of the Tender change-over your Fingal bins will be collected on Christmas Eve, Saturday 24th and New Year’s Eve, Saturday 31st. We will not be collecting on the Monday. Please ensure that your bins are out the Friday night.

Fingal Panda Customers.

If you switched to Panda as a non Tender customer your Panda bins will be collected as normal over the Christmas and New Year.

If you were with Fingal then your bins need to go out this evening for pick up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

All wheelie bins are already chipped and the chip is linked to your address. The long term plan is that we will be billed by weight. Eventually some routes will use the one-man vehicles familiar to Dutch residents.

If City Bin Company are an option for you I'd recommend them. Pay per lift and they have provided a reliable service.

Fingal were a disgrace to deal with and their environment department represented everything bad about public sector employees and policies. Good riddance to them.

Advertisement