Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Pointers

• 24-08-2011 2:36am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

So I got one of these for the cats and they absolutely love chasing it, even the big fatass who hardly ever gets up to do anything is finally getting some exercise!! Playing with it this evening, I decided to see what the dogs thought of it and spent literally half an hour laughing my ass off as they tore around the garden trying to catch it with either their paws or by biting it. I've never seen them pounce into the air like I did tonight. They get bored of chasing a ball etc quickly enough but this thing kept them going until they were panting so much I made them stop.
    Has anyone else tried these with your dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I did use one for my dogs and it was a big mistake. It turned her into a shadow/any movement seeking lunatic. It was actaully really awful.

Yes it was funny for the first while with the laser but then she literally would not look up from the ground at all and any slight reflection of anything at all had her driven mad chasing it.

Then it also took us ages to stop her doing that. She is a very driven dog though but honestly we have banned them in this house after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

No fancy laser beams, there's a recession on so I use the sun reflecting off my watch face through the sitting room window. He loves it, chases it around for ages. A bit worried now though after reading the reply above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

We use it here. All the cats go crazy for it! We have a coon who at 10kg will jump about 4 ft off the ground all 4 legs splayed while trying to catch it. Very funny.
    Our dog loves it too and will spend forever trying to catch it. Def no bad side affects with her.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

We use it here. All the cats go crazy for it! We have a coon who at 10kg will jump about 4 ft off the ground all 4 legs splayed while trying to catch it. Very funny.
    Our dog loves it too and will spend forever trying to catch it. Def no bad side affects with her.

We've coonies as well; they are hilarious when they jump, hair flying everywhere with huge paws flying to try and catch it. I'm actually kind of surprised that the dogs noticed it; they're pretty lazy and if you throw a ball, they might chase it about four times before giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Love them! My do goes crazy chasing it and when she 'catches' it she jumps up and down - great toy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

frolicat1.jpg

Saw this today, and thought it might be relevant/interesting to people in this thread.
    You know how cats love to chase stuff, whether it is alive or inanimate – here is something that might just keep your kitten (and adult cats, of course) occupied for hours on end – with the Frolicat Bolt Laser Cat Toy. As you can tell by its name, this device will project a red dot (somewhat similar to how those laser pointers work) onto the surface where you point it to, and see your kitty go nuts trying to track it down only to realize that it cannot be “killed” or “maimed”.

You can opt to use it manually where you dish out the dose of frustration, or set it on automatic mode and see it deliver hours of fun for your favorite feline. All you need to do to have it work on its own would be to place it on a flat surface and turn it on. The Bolt will turn off by itself automatically after a 15 minute session, and make sure you have a quartet of AA batteries hanging around always to keep it juiced up.

I’m not quite sure whether Jon would fork out $19.99 for the Frolicat Bolt Laser Cat Toy when Garfield’s birthday rolls around…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

I agree with PPINK's post above.

I minded a dog who had been exposed to a laser beam as a pup for weeks on end by the kids. They meant well as it kept her amused but it really turned the dog into an eccentric obsessed lunatic.

She did exactly as PPink said above, kept looking at the ground, the wall, any shadow, sunlight, reflection or movement. I really felt so sorry for her. She just couldn't relax at all.

Please be really careful with these around dogs. I'm not sure about side effects on cats. They are probably too clever to be affected!

Advertisement