Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Monitor - 24/26/27 inch screen

Options
  • 24-08-2011 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All, I'm looking to buy a monitor to be used to connect my laptop for a bigger external display.

So far I've looked at Dell, Samsung and LG screens.
    I was thinking the bigger the better so a 27" would be preferable but as I will be sitting quite close to the screen at my desk I would be open to a smaller screen if it would be better suited.
    Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be best?
    This is for work purposes so I would like to find out about the best screens available at each of the sizes.
    If possible I would also like this to later be used as a TV screen but main priority is for work purposes.
    My price range is between €500 and €1000.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chuie

Would I also need to buy a new graphics card to get full use of the new monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,806 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Unless you have one of those interesting-looking Sony laptops that docks to an external graphics card, an upgraded GPU is not an option.

Samsung make great LED screens. The only thing you have to consider is pricing and what you actually need the size for. I suppose I could be a little more productive If I had a 27" and not a 23", but the 23" is plenty for almost all my needs. The only time I find it lacking is when I'm trying to splitscreen between two active windows (like Word and OneNote)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chuie

I want the screen mainly for work purposes e.g. application development, watching learning video's & material, reading articles, etc. and secondarily to at sometime maybe hook up to a Sky digital box or watch movies online.

I'm trying to decide what the main differences are between a TV screen and a computer monitor. For example the differences between a Samsung 27" Syncmaster P2770HD compared with the Dell U2711? Or the differences between a Samsung 24" SM 2443 BW and a Dell U2410?

I think I would prefer a monitor for the computer but would it have the same capabilities, connections and display to be able to be also be used as a TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This two thread thing is messy, but anyways.

As I said there, it would appear that over HDMI your laptop will only support 1920x1080. Buying that dell is a waste.

The difference between a tv and a monitor is that a TV comes with a remote and more modern ones have a fancier OS than a monitor, and it has an analog tuner. If your sky box has a digital output then there is no need for the the tuner. TVs are generally dearer so it would be a waste for you unless being able to play from USB/Network without the laptop is a big advantage for you.

Advertisement