Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over-rated Cars

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My list of overrated cars.

1. 1.4 VW Golf. Slow as a drunk snail, with terrible reliability
    2. Toyota AE86 Twin cam. Quite slow to drive cross-country as constantly fighting the desire for the car to exit backwards through a ditch. Also, not enough "go" to match the noise.
    3. 1.6/1.9 Audi A4. Dull, lifeless and insulating from the road. Felt like a domestic appliance.
    4. Ford Focus. Handling was not as great as the hype, and the most uncomfortable seats known to man. Also, the A/C made me physically sick!
    5. Another vote for sub 2.0 BMW's in paddy spec.
    6. Early '00's MB's. Reliability exit stage left....
    7. Toyota Starlet/Glanza Turbo. Understeer central, terrible body control in a corner and too seat back stuck at too much of an angle!

I've very little experience of the Lambo/Porsche/etc level of cars as I'm too broke. As for the whole Octavia/Avensis/Mondeo etc, they are not designed to be road warriors. They are designed to take the sales rep to the meeting on time/take the family to the seaside in comfort/start every morning/etc. If a road warrior is needed for the kids, go buy a VRS/?/Focus RS (or a Caterham of flying solo!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Anan1 wrote: »
    Those cars are on studded tyres.
    si_guru wrote: »
    ...and you can't drive like that on a public road!

My point was the sweeping statement that all RWD cars are inherently dangerous. The problem is stupid ignorant drivers with zero skill base!

As for studded tyres, granted, but that was the first one that came to mind when I think of RWD and snow.

I'm also thinking of the 1990 (or 1991) Rally of the Lakes in Killarney, where there was snow on the ground, and the coverage was done by RPM, but I can't find it on youtube! Now there was car control, on snow on racing tyres (cut slicks probably!)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suprab1

They weren't designed to body roll like a cruise liner either but they do.

Your right & they don't. I work on these often & can't say i find them that bad at all.

Advertisement