Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cologne Marathon This October Anyone?

Options
  • 24-08-2011 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Has anyone signed up for this? I'd be surprised if no one has! It sems very flat and fast. Though it is the week after Berlin.

Im in for it anyways..Taper starts in 3 weeks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've just entered this evening. I'm nowhere near race fit but hopefully my sore bum will hold out long enough to get me around.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Great stuff!!

Have you looked at flights yet?

I am thinking of German Wings flight from Dub to Cologne/bonn on the Friday and back on the monday.

No hills on the course so hopefully your sore bum won't be a factor :D

I just can't wait to be tapering...

Altercor. Friday until Monday for me too. Flights and accommodation booked. I was being a bit facetious with talk of a sore bum, I actually have a broken tailbone from just having had a baby so I'm afraid flat or not will make little difference to me ;) still I'm really looking forward to this trip. I know some parts of Germany really well but not so much cologne so I'm hoping for some sightseeing as well. Can't wait.

What sort of time will you be aiming for? It will be my first event since Dublin last year and really just a long training run for another event I'm working up to so I expect to be taking up the rear.

Altercor. Friday until Monday for me too. Flights and accommodation booked. I was being a bit facetious with talk of a sore bum, I actually have a broken tailbone from just having had a baby so I'm afraid flat or not will make little difference to me ;) still I'm really looking forward to this trip. I know some parts of Germany really well but not so much cologne so I'm hoping for some sightseeing as well. Can't wait.

What sort of time will you be aiming for? It will be my first event since Dublin last year and really just a long training run for another event I'm working up to so I expect to be taking up the rear.

Oh, wow! Congrats on the baby! And well done for getting back running so quickly! A regular radcliffe/gaucher!

I'm looking forward to this one too. hoping for a time that starts with a 2..after that every other minute would be a bonus! Learned from last year that doing several in a year doesn't mean you get faster! this is my only one this year..

I'm travelling alone to this one which will be a first too.. staying in some hotel next to the dome apparently.. hotel koenig something or other.. I'm yet to book flights though. Must get on that this week.

Last 22 miler today in the p***ing rain..ugh...job done though. One more week of hard work and a 21 miler Sunday and then feet up and time to get nervous and develop hypochondria!

How's your training gone??

altercr, you're not the other guy going on the twinning exchange by ny chance?

• Advertisement

altercr, you're not the other guy going on the twinning exchange by ny chance?

That's me! How did you know about that??

my husband is "the other guy" on the exchange.

Oh great! Good to hear!

I got a mail from Niall about his travel plans alright. The Dusseldorf return leg sounds like a good idea. German Wings seem to have pulled the return flight to Dub on the Monday so I reckon I'll be training it to Dusseldorf too.

What kind of times are ye hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

How did you find the run folks?

I was hugely unprepared training wise and had my ass handed to me on a plate..... 4:20 which is the slowest of nine marathons (2 of which I finished injured but still with a better time).

Beyond the poor training the heat was a killer!! Lovely to step off the plane into cool Dublin. Fantastic course, support and food/drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Suffered with the heat and lack of prep also.

I was too busy weaving from shade to shade. To worry about time. :D:D
    Pale paddy avoiding the sun!!

• Advertisement

I was just thrilled to be running again. Also my slowest ever marathon but that is no reflection on the course, rather my current fitness. Great weekend all the same. Lovely to hear altercor & zuppy called out with the vip's on the start line!

It was a great event, unfortunately I had to pull out at about 19~km with sore achilles. More precautionary really as Dublin is a comin'!

It was pretty cool to have name called out at the start too though I found myself hiding my race number which also had my name on it!

Great to meet zuppy and hunnymonster and newborn runner!

Would really recommend this race to people who fancy a decent weekend away: Lovely city, well organised and a nice flat course (the part that I ran anyways :mad:)

Advertisement