Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic Weather

Options
  • 24-08-2011 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Seeing as most of those who are going to EP are 30+ and have a hatred of mud and dont have the same carefee attitude of Oxigen revellers, can someone please give some hope that we won't have to be seen wearing wellies!

2nd-4th Sept

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Fingers crossed

From Su's forecast this morning:

OUTLOOK… Cool and dry for the early days of next week, with good sunshine most days. Nights will be cool. The exact movement of the high pressure later in the week is still unsure, as the remnants of Irene should be coming to play at that stage. At the moment signals suggest the high could move slightly north or northeast of us, allowing an easterly flow from the continent. This would warm things up were it to happen, but as the movements of Irene are still not fully known even 72 hours from now, a lot of water has yet to pass under the bridge before we know what will happen this side of the Atlantic 7 days from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Looking good on the latest guessometer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Looks pretty settled from the start of September onwards. Maybe we'll get our indian summer :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this seems to happen every year, warm and sunny first 2 weeks of september as everyone go's back to school and college... this september could well prove out to be warmer, dryer and sunnier than May, June, July and August:) which tbh isnt hard to beat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

any update on the potential weather for next weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Get a few bottles into you and start singing this because it might be needed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2u2QyvyF4

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

LFCFan wrote: »
    any update on the potential weather for next weekend?

Looks awful for next weekend on current model runs.
    172208.png

Potential for heavy rain and strong winds on Friday. Saturday and Sunday look less severe with showery weather, albeit perhaps a little cooler than current weather conditions.

I'd wait until next Wednesday or Thursday though for a better forecast. Only a few days ago were the models showing warm and dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

awwwww man Ive accepted the fact it will rain at some stage over the weekend seen as weve had a crappy summer but dont want it to be a wash out :( Gona be a nightmare if ots windy too with tents etc! The 1st few years of the picnic were always hot & sunny...but for the last 3 years now its rained :(

is that the tail end of Hurrican Irene thats due to hit us next weekend? sorry not the best at understanding charts!

Just a quick update. The deepish low is now centered more northerly for next weekends forecast.

Friday looks to be ok with some showers on the west/north coast, so it looks ok for Electric Picnic
    172378.png

Saturday looks more showery again pushing further inland and a bit cooler

172379.png

Sunday looks decidedly dodgy :P We could have a pleasant dry day, or we could have some heavier showers, but again the east and south might avoid the worst of the showers. Still very hard to predict at the moment
    172380.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Just a quick update. The deepish low is now centered more northerly for next weekends forecast.

Friday looks to be ok with some showers on the west/north coast, so it looks ok for Electric Picnic
    172378.png

Saturday looks more showery again pushing further inland and a bit cooler

172379.png

Sunday looks decidedly dodgy :P We could have a pleasant dry day, or we could have some heavier showers, but again the east and south might avoid the worst of the showers. Still very hard to predict at the moment
    172380.png
    #

Any update on this. you seem to know what your talking about?

Friday doesn't look too bad. Might stay completely dry that day. Saturday also looks dry on the whole with the exception of Saturday evening/night, however Sunday now looks like torrential downpours nationwide, hopefully the charts will change in the coming days and the rain holds off for a period longer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Torrential downpours on Sunday would be a repeat of last years Sunday which was horrific in terms of festival weather and camping!!

thanks for the updates and keep them coming! I have the wellies and wet gear ready anyway!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

you'll need em

ah yeh! well used to rain at Irish festivals all good! As long as the mud doesnt come up to my knees I dont mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yep looking fairly wet, I've the wet gear all sorted too.bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Only 25mm of rain has fallen at Oak Park, Carlow (which is the nearest ME station to the Electric Picnic site) during August, this is less than 50% of normal. Rainfall for July was around normal, this obviously means there is a soil moisture deficit so I think it would take exceptionally heavy downpours to turn the site into a mud bath.

that maybe so BUT 25,000 - 35,000 people walking along the same ground is gona turn the ground muddy even if its only a bit of rain! I just hope I can sit on the grass for a ickle bit at some stage over the weekend! Im glad to hear friday is drier as hate putting up tents in the rain...its a nightmare! its all rushed & your spot isnt always chosen wisely in a rush to get the thing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Latest model guidance is a bit mixed, some of the output looks dismal for both Saturday and Sunday, some gives a bit of hope for Saturday.

At this point would prepare for a downpour and hope for the best.

Seems that Irene has a bit of energy left for a frontal system that will be spawned to her south and just to the west of Ireland. The UKMO has the least development on this, the GEM which handled Irene well in the past three days has the most. GFS and ECM are in between.

The worst case scenario would be 25-40 mms of rain over the weekend with heavy bursts on Saturday that could include a bit of thunder embedded. Temperatures will be near 15 C daytime and 10-12 C at night. At least the start of the event should be dry on Friday.

I hope this outlook changes for you, but we're getting into the reliable time frame now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

If you get a chance MT would you mind updating us on this tomorrow please.

Opr

Thanks Mt! Ive accepted the fact saturday is a right off weather wise lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

To me looking at current models the weekend pans out like this,

Friday, YAY DRINK BOUNCE BOUNCE DRINK while enjoying the tunes and dry weather.

Saturday, Wake up to rain beating off tent slug some tinnies chuck on rain gear drink bounce bounce drink.Rain clearing towards evening.

Sunday,dry morning before rain arrive later in the day,all the while bopping and drinking,ya know what i don't care,just gonna chill.Bring it.............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Met Eireann (http://met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp) indicates that it will be a relatively dry weekend with the most rainfall occuring on early Monday morning.

Most other websites seem to have re-evaluated their forecasts similarly.

Could be good news for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Models are still giving different readings on rainfall potential, can say that Saturday morning and Sunday late afternoon and evening are most likely to be wet, and there should be a dry interval in between, with any luck, it may overlap much of the event. Hope it works out for all.

the forecast seems to be improving...im happy seen as I expected a wash out only yesterday!! if its ok fri & even a bit sat im happy...by sunday im a zombie anyway so wont matter what the weather is like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

This is a classic example of how difficult it is to correctly forecast weather in Ireland especially when westerly influences abound.

It was dry all last night and light drizzle started about 12 noon today. A heavy burst lasted from 12.15 for about 30 minutes. Lighter rain persisted til about 1.45 and it stopped shortly after 2pm. After that it was great weather for concert - not too sunny, not too warm, nice breeze and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

It was great weather, only rained when you didn't mind it raining.

The freezing cold on sat night was something else though !

Amazing weekend and the weather wasnt too bad...it rained hard on friday night but looked like the dry august had a huge influence on the soil as said above as expected to wake up to a mud bath but it was grand! The cold on saturday was very bad into the early hours but was well prepared with loads of clothes! Rained on and off yesterday but nothing worth moaning about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement