Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA - Closure of Credit Card Acc

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey all,

I was lucky to have a father who paid off my 'stupid spending amount' credit card of 8grand. I rang MBNA and it was impossible to pay it off. I told them I had the money to pay off the credit card, I wanted to clear it and close the account immediately. But no, this was just a nightmare. I was told they couldn't take the payment over the phone that I had to set them up on my banking 365 and transfer the funds through banking 365. I set them up and it would only let me transfer over 3 grand a day, so the first day I transferred 3 grand, 2nd day 3 grand, then went onto their own website and paid the max they would let me pay 1500. Another 3-5 days for them to all clear. Plus was landed more interest in the middle of it all. Still yesterday I owed them 416 Euros plus government levy, rang them thinking they would just take the payment over the phone and no, I was told that my account is up to date and they can not take payment over it been up to date? :mad: so I had to go online again and pay them through their website which says on the site if lodged in before a certain time it will be in the next day which is bull! Takes 3 days from what I saw last week.

The amount of interest I paid in 2 years makes me sick, my card was maxed out and I was paying 35 euro a week and when I went to pay it off last week it was still 8 grand cause it went a few times over its limit :mad: :mad: Havent Purchased anything in 2 years or used it for anything. Yes all down to me for having a credit card of 8 grand. But I got it when the times were good and when the banks were firing money out all the time and I never saw it ending and never thought it would be difficult to get money.

So for anyone who is lucky enough to pay off these debts, be warned that it takes a while to actually close the account? I still haven’t mine closed, I have to ring them back when my account balance is zero. I bet there will be something else then. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Caroline_T wrote: »
    I was lucky to have a father who paid off my 'stupid spending amount' credit card of 8grand.

The amount of interest I paid in 2 years makes me sick, my card was maxed out and I was paying 35 euro a week and when I went to pay it off last week it was still 8 grand cause it went a few times over its limit :mad: :mad: Havent Purchased anything in 2 years or used it for anything. Yes all down to me for having a credit card of 8 grand. But I got it when the times were good and when the banks were firing money out all the time and I never saw it ending and never thought it would be difficult to get money.

:mad:

everything thats wrong with this country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No offense but I see nothing at all wrong with what MBNA did there. That's the system they have in place to pay the card. A few days bank transfers and it's done. Hardly a lot if you have it maxed out for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You should have haggled with them over the final amount payable.

When I closed my MBNA account a few years ago they settled for 50%! :)

Mind you, I had left the country and they had no forwarding address.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Caroline_T

Gloomtasic did you? fair play, it didnt affect your credit history did it? I am just glad to have it closed. I just rang them there and its closed now thank god. Live and learn. Never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Caroline_T wrote: »
    Gloomtasic did you? fair play, it didnt affect your credit history did it? I am just glad to have it closed. I just rang them there and its closed now thank god. Live and learn. Never again!

Not sure whether it affected my credit rating or not as I no longer live in the UK. It was 5 or 6 years ago so it should be clear by now.

Live and learn indeed, the 1000s I paid them over the years to never see the balance reduce. I will never get a credit card again hopefully. The sooner BoI ditch Laser and take on Visa Debit the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Caroline_T

I am the same, waiting for BOI to bring that in but I was told yesterday the charges on that card are just as bad as a cr card? havent a clue now but something to look into

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dbentham

OP I know it's too late now, but for anyone else in the same (lucky?) predicament the quickest way to pay an MBNA bill is at the post office. It usually takes no more than 2 days to reach the account.
    Although in your case, I'm not sure if they'd take too kindly to walking in with a wad of €8,000 cash unless it was a main post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Why did you not just pay the 2k using online banking on the 3rd day?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

Surprisingly enough they can take payment by phone when you have missed or late payment.

Advertisement