Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator was in the wrong

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I am putting forward a complain against a moderator who deemed it necessary to resort to bullying and harrassment over a non-issue in which he was forcing his own agenda without due and regard, and making certain inferences without doing proper background checks.

As part of his programme of intimidation and bullying he previously stated that someone sent him a PM in regards to myself charging money at the 2010 Gaelforce - that was totally untrue, and the only person to ever bring that up was the organiser, who was chastized for not organising any medical facilities at the finish area or a physio/massage area. In 2010 not only did I do the massages but also doubled as a first aider - the excuse at the time was not sufficient for the care of those crossing the finish line injured. The vast majority of those that I massaged in 2010 did not pay anything and only a few offered cash to cover oils and vaseline - there was not one complaint from any of the competitors.

Not anywhere in the forum did I ever state that I charge any amount for physio/massage after the Gaelforce, and that I will meet up with athletes that I advise, coach and do physio after the event, and that if anyone else would like assistance afterwards are more than entitled to meet up with me afterwards. It is well understood that I do coaching, and physio off my back and I do not charge, but the participants if they feel it necessary can contribute towards the cost of the oils, vaseline and hotel facilities - the moderator then inferred that I was advertising, and profiteering which is an error on his part and which he has refused to accept was wrong and he has pursued the policy of continual bullying.

There is not anywhere in the forum do I state that I charge €5 for massages/physio, so this moderator has got it wrong.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is there a ban or infraction being contested?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

The Moderator kept on editing my posts and then in one post added information in bold type, which I then had to remove. In light of the behaviour of the moderator and the re-edited items I decided not to be available at all for the Gaelforce, which meant that the athletes that I coach, advise and treat with physio were left untreated.

According to the moderator he based his information from a PM he recieved which was incorrect and misleading.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is there an infraction or ban being contested?

I am not too sure. The moderator is still continuing his crusade and stating facts which are not true as a basis for his actions. He has yet to find any proof that I charge €5 for physio/massage in the forums and has stated that this information comes from some PMs he recieved.

Since there are no infractions on your profile, and the only ban is one from ART 18 months ago, and long since expired, this isn't for DRP, so it's now moved to the Helpdesk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have no idea what moderator you have issues with, I have no idea in what forum these issues take place, I have no idea of threads/PMs/context.

And while I do know what a tracker mortgage is, I have no idea what Gaelforce is.

All I request is that this moderator stop in his harrassment and bullying of me. He is accusing me of writing things in the forum which I did not write - such as he has implied that I was profiteering from Gaelforce and charging €5 for physio/massage, where I have not written such thing. He is now bringing up some story about getting PMs about this, which I have just explained.

I believe that the position of the moderator is to moderate inproper posts and not embark on a personal crusade against contributors.

robroy1234 wrote: »
    All I request is that this moderator stop in his harrassment and bullying of me. He is accusing me of writing things in the forum which I did not write - such as he has implied that I was profiteering from Gaelforce and charging €5 for physio/massage, where I have not written such thing. He is now bringing up some story about getting PMs about this, which I have just explained.

I believe that the position of the moderator is to moderate inproper posts and not embark on a personal crusade against contributors.

For the love of God, will you read what we are asking you?

You are saying you have a problem with a moderator, yet you are not saying what moderator.

You are saying the moderator is harassing you and bullying you, yet you do not provide any examples.

You keep harping on about Gaelforce, yet we don't have a clue what it is.

So, either give us the information we need or stop wasting our time.

OK. I do apologise.
    The Moderator is RayCun.
    And Gaelforce is an adventure race in Mayo that was held last weekend. I do coaching, advising, sport psychology and physio in my own time and for free. So the majority of the time I do this at my own expense. RayCun took exception to what I wrote in the forum and continued to harass me through the PM, which I decided then not to attend the event at the weekend. Therefore this moderator, RayCun acted inappropriately and forced me away from an athletic event which many of my athletes were competing in.

The moderator is RayCun and Gaelforce is an adventure race in the west of Ireland. RayCun accused me of profiteering and that I stated that I charged for physio/massage in the forum, which was incorrect. He now states that he gotten this supposed information from certain PMs he recieved, yet he continued to state that it was I whom was posting a commercial self-advertisment. So based on hearsay he established certain "facts" about myself, re-edited my posts, paraphrased his own words into my posts and threatened to ban me. He succeeded in making me avoid the event on the day due to this harrassment and I was unable to meet the athletes that I coach and advise on the day.

• Advertisement

The moderator is RayCun and Gaelforce is an adventure race in the west of Ireland. RayCun accused me of profiteering and that I stated that I charged for physio/massage in the forum, which was incorrect. He now states that he gotten this supposed information from certain PMs he recieved, yet he continued to state that it was I whom was posting a commercial self-advertisment. So based on hearsay he established certain "facts" about myself, re-edited my posts, paraphrased his own words into my posts and threatened to ban me. He succeeded in making me avoid the event on the day due to this harrassment and I was unable to meet the athletes that I coach and advise on the day.

Ok, thank you.

Now, can you also provide links to the threads/posts in question? Also, please report any Private Messages you deem inappropriate. You can do this while reading the PM by clicking on the little red/white triangle.

Please DO NOT publish the contents of PMs on this thread.

I also ask RayCun to put forward his side of the story, if he is reading.

This is the page that I originally posted in:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056155580&page=32

and also page 33. on page 33 RayCun paraphrased his own words and added to my post, and what he paraphrased was not an issue within the thread or forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hi Tom, just saw this now.

There's a thread on the A/R/T events forum about GaelForce, an adventure race that took part over last weekend in WestPort.

The poster had several comments on the thread, most about the race in general, but several saying that he would be near the finish line after the race if anyone wanted a massage/physio treatment.

I asked if this was a free service or was he charging for it. There are plenty of qualified physios, and other people who work in athletics-related activities, who use the forum, but we try to discourage shilling for commercial services.

I received two PMs saying that last year the poster was charging for his services.

After a bit of back and forth about 'is looking for a donation to cover costs the same as charging', the poster said he would not be looking for money from people. I said 'fair enough', removed my questions from the thread, and posted to clarify that the poster was not charging for his services.

I have about 50 PMs since then from the poster saying that I drove him away from GaelForce with my insinuations :rolleyes:

You're free to check my PM mailbox, if that's technically possible for you. If not, I can forward you all the mails I've received and sent to the poster*. I'll start by forwarding you the PMs that said he was charging for treatments last year.

*it would be great if you could set the default setting for sent PMs to 'keep a copy'. I'm probably missing some that I sent, but I copied the other mods with the messages so we can dig them out

RayCun wrote: »
    You're free to check my PM mailbox, if that's technically possible for you. If not, I can forward you all the mails I've received and sent to the poster*. I'll start by forwarding you the PMs that said he was charging for treatments last year.

No, your PMs are your own, nobody can read them apart from you. We do not have the ability to view your inbox. You can, however, report them and mark them for my attention, or forward them on (as you have been doing).
    RayCun wrote: »
    *it would be great if you could set the default setting for sent PMs to 'keep a copy'. I'm probably missing some that I sent, but I copied the other mods with the messages so we can dig them out

Take it to the Development forum. :p

RayCun - so numerous PMs ended up being 2. and that from last year there was an issue between myself and the organiser who also contributed to the forum, she then initiated an argument against me concerning the medical/first aid and physio provision at the finish area of the event. I wrote a full report on this matter and sent it in to the Gaelforce organising committee - she took exception to this and therefore said that I was charging €5 for physio/massage when knowing full well at the time I wasn't charging, but the competitors were free to donate towards the cost of the oil/vaseline - that was 2010 - last year, not this year. So based on a hearsay from a PM from last year, and making certain inferences from my posts you concluded that I was advertising a commercial service, then you had the audacity to paraphrase in your own words to a post in bold to highlight this non-isssue, which was not raised at all in the forum.

You took information from elsewhere (PM) and inserted into a forum, where it did not exist and made errorenous assumptions. Nowhere in the forum did I state that I charge €5 for physio/massage - yet you magic that up from a last year PM and used it as a basis for your justification of your behaviour.

Ok gentlemen, let's keep this civil. Please do not engage one another, turning this thread into an argument will help neither of you.

Let's stick to the facts.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, your PMs are your own, nobody can read them apart from you. We do not have the ability to view your inbox. You can, however, report them and mark them for my attention, or forward them on (as you have been doing).

Okay, I'll forward all the mails from robroy, and as many of the sent messages as I still have. (ecoli and Woddle will have the mails to fill any gaps, I can get them for you or you can ask them if you like)
    Happy reading :D

The facts remain that I was not advertising a commercial service and that I never once posted in the forum that I was charging any amount. What was inappropriate that the Moderator felt it necessary to edit my posts and paraphrase in his own words over an issue that was not mentioned at all in the forum. He then justified this with a statement that he got this information from PMs he recieved last year (2010).

From what started as an offer to meet up with competitors I know very well, for an after-event physio/massage and invite to others on the boards, became a crusade on behalf of RayCun to root out my infidel self.

Having had to ask RayCun to stop sending me PMs after we reached 33, I think I have a clearer picture now.

Did Ray make a mistake? It looks like he may have. However, from the PMs he has sent me, it appears he acted in good faith based on information from other users who appeared to be familiar with you and previous events. It boils down to one word against another, something which I cannot take sides on.

Did Ray try and rectify the mistake? It certainly looks like it. He posted a comment in this post to clear matters up.

Did Ray harass and bully you? On the contrary, judging by the number of PMs between the two of you, it appears you were the one who would not let it go.

I do not think there is any evidence of a moderator harassing and bullying you. I think what has happened here is that some pedantry over the definition of contribution vs. charging has escalated into a series of PMs that resulted in you not attending the event.

If I could make one suggestion it is that you do not take things so personally in future and not get as worked up about things. If you feel you have been wronged, instead on engaging in endless PMs with a moderator, utilise the policies and procedures we have in place to mediate between users. This will ensure you won't miss out on events due to disagreement on Boards.ie.

OK. That is fine and clear. I appreciate the directions given.

Yours sincerely,

Robroy1234

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for taking the time to investigate.

A gentleman's agreement between RayCun and myself to be cool with each other and not to fly off the handle again.

A gentleman's agreement between RayCun and myself to be cool with each other and not to fly off the handle again.

Good, glad to hear it.

And as I said, always remember that the CMods, Admins and staff are always here to mediate in any disputes as best we can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement