Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murrisk Hotel

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

What is happening with that hotel, there were apartments there too. Is it a nama now? i understand some hotels being closed but not that one has to have great potential.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The builder has gone to NAMA yes. They own it now. It wont come to much for a long time. The 2nd hotel on that site, the first one started very well but faded then.
    An incredible site for a hotel, a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Was a daft idea TBH.

But it looks like a fantastic hotel and it's a real shame not to see it open and the whole site shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Its a sad situation, if they could put out place of the yachts to locate the place would be a success, would be great for westport towns tourism also. Ah if i only had a lotto win behind me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Yes good project by a good developer who was anxious to get this project into Murrisk.

Sadly conditions changed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

An incredible eye sore now, everyone can see it now from main road and the Reek, least the old building blended in, that just sticks out badly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Ok I can see the merit in the location.....Murrisk is at the bottom of the reek, it's right on clew bay, its got the scenery etc.

Was the hotel viable at the planning stage? Even in the Celtic Tiger Years had Westport a shortage of hotel beds? The town has got some great hotels, possibly the finest in the county. At one stage all Mayo wedding couples were considering Westport hotel's as potential venue's for their big day. A sweeping statement but a testament to the quality of the hotels and the popularity of the town.

Could a hotel in Murrisk have worked? Viable even at celtic tiger levels of business?

I'm looking at this from a distance and with little insight into Westport's hospitality trade so shoot me down if necessary.......;)

I would say it would alright, the car park there in Murrisk is wedged all year around now it seems and it would have been a lovely spot for weddings with the reek and Murrisk abbey in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

It surely would have been viable, i cant see it being closed for long, the building dose seem ugly in its current unfinished state, there is nothing grand about the design as far as i can see.

Yes I think it had potential.

The weddiing trade is strong in Westport, even tho there is now more competition from Mulranny and Broadhaven Belmullet. Joke used to be that a lady first booked the hotel, then looked for a husband.

Croagh Patrick is after all a place of pilgrimage way back to pagan times, and it seems to be growing in popularity.

While there are plenty of hotels in Westport - 11 in all - Westport does have the critical mass in accommodation and other attractions to keep growing as a tourist centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The viability may have been related to the tax breaks available to developers via hotels, they were effectively legally laundering profits.

Hard to know about it's viability nowadays even though it's in a lovely location.

• Advertisement

Yes. tax considerations may have been a factor in the original business plan.

But, it is a good venue. Two catering establishments nearby are thriving - the revamped Campbell's pub, and the Tavern Pub / Restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I always thought that if the Aughagower hotel can struggle by, then the Murrisk hotel would be a great success, but within that tree lined compound, when the tide is out - the view is pretty bleak

Dónall óg - bleak view?

lift your eyes to the islands of Clew Bay, Clare Island
    and the mountains along the north shore of Clew Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I always thought that if the Aughagower hotel can struggle by, then the Murrisk hotel would be a great success, but within that tree lined compound, when the tide is out - the view is pretty bleak

When you turn round and see the "Big Hill" it isn't so bad.

Advertisement