Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding problem

• 24-08-2011 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I reseeded 5 acres one week ago today. Had the 10:10:20 and lime in before harrowing. Broadcast the seed, no problem. However just as I finished the seeding, the sky opened. Made an absolute deluge for about three hours. Showers on and off most days since, with another deluge on Monday morning last.
    Result is that I have not had a chance to roll the field:mad:. One attempt I made, resulted in more soil sticking to the wheels and roller than I was leaving in the field.
    Whats the best way forward? Would it be fair to assume the heavy rain, in itself will have acted like a roller, in that it has probably sunk the seed into the soil:confused: Or am I just hoping in vain:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

BeeDI wrote: »
    I reseeded 5 acres one week ago today. Had the 10:10:20 and lime in before harrowing. Broadcast the seed, no problem. However just as I finished the seeding, the sky opened. Made an absolute deluge for about three hours. Showers on and off most days since, with another deluge on Monday morning last.
    Result is that I have not had a chance to roll the field:mad:. One attempt I made, resulted in more soil sticking to the wheels and roller than I was leaving in the field.
    Whats the best way forward? Would it be fair to assume the heavy rain, in itself will have acted like a roller, in that it has probably sunk the seed into the soil:confused: Or am I just hoping in vain:confused:

It'll be sound. The rain will wash in the seed. It happened to me a few years ago, didn't get it dry enough to roll until the following spring. It worked out fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Rolling is done to

1 Ensure good soil seed contact (Not a problem for you after the rain)

2 Drive down small stones ( You will need to roll at some stage before cutting silage) Best done after a tight grazing during the spring when ground is soft)

Relax man, and def don't go in now with a roller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

agree with all above. Close the gate and forget about it! All will be fine;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Muckit wrote: »
    agree with all above. Close the gate and forget about it! All will be fine;)

Great. Must hang the gate first though:rolleyes:

Advertisement