Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a rod/reel for plugging

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I've been on a quest for sea bass recently and i've decided to treat myself to a new rod & reel for plugging.

Any recommendation/advice on what rod & reel to get would be much appreciated.

(budget is around 150-200 for both)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I do quite a bit of plugging for Bass. I range from a 10ft 35grm rod to an 11ft 60grm, one for cleaner marks and one for weedy marks. If I had to use one rod I would try to find a nice 3 piece 11ft 45grm, but I wouldnt spend too much money on it, no matter how well you look after it fishing in the salt takes its tool on even the most high end of rods.
    You can get very nice rods for under 100e, though I think i saw a lovely 11ft wychwood recently around the 50grm for about 100e.
    I use Shimano and Abu Garcia reels but I have been quite impressed with Penn. I find a 4000 size loaded with either 20lb braid or 12lb mono to suit almost all conditions.
    I would budget 100e for the rod, 100e for the reel and then 50e + on plugs, soft plastics etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

Elbow wrote: »
    I've been on a quest for sea bass recently and i've decided to treat myself to a new rod & reel for plugging.

Any recommendation/advice on what rod & reel to get would be much appreciated.

(budget is around 150-200 for both)

Cheers
    Hi Elbow, could I ask you what's plugging.

Tbh it seems a bit heavy. Also I prefer 3-4 pieces as you can carry them in a ruck suck and do some serious rock hopping, also handy in the car. But its good value and you could buy a lighter rod for clean marks

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

SavaGear Bushwacker in 8.5ft. Shimano Exage 4000 reel, you'll get both from the UK for about €130 You will not do better for the money.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads, i've been fishing for years but only recently started chasing something other than mackerel :o

moan 77 wrote: »

Using theses chaps :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_(fishing)
    stylie wrote: »
    Tbh it seems a bit heavy. Also I prefer 3-4 pieces as you can carry them in a ruck suck and do some serious rock hopping, also handy in the car. But its good value and you could buy a lighter rod for clean marks

good point about the 3 piece actually, i hadn't taught of the extra length
    viper123 wrote: »
    SavaGear Bushwacker in 8.5ft. Shimano Exage 4000 reel, you'll get both from the UK for about €130 You will not do better for the money.

Will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

Wouldn't go over 9 ft. for a light plugging rod.
    I can second the bushwacker xlnt rod.
    I bought an 8ft. version of the bushwacker in henry's (dublin)and it is spot on. You will want to fish with plugs & soft plastics when looking for bass. Anything over 9ft. will make fishing with soft plastics a pain in the arse.;)

Don't be put off by an 8ft. rod as it can lash out the lures as well as any rod.
    Smaller length gives much more control than larger rod.
    Trust me you won't do better for €100

Wobbie

Ok i was doing a bit of research last night and i've found what i think is a good deal.

Penn Powerstix Pro Bass rod 11ft & A Penn Captiva II 6000 reel & 14lb line

€133 delivered

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

11ft would be overkill for plugging. You're best off with a short rod of 8-9 feet which is light to carry around all day. The extra length doesn't always equate to longer casts and is just more awkward to handle. Also a 6000 reel sounds huge for carting around all day.

An 11ft is going to throw it outside an 9ft'er all day long. And an extra foot is not going to make the difference whether you can carry it around all day or not but it might make the difference landing fish as there are certain marks where you need the extra couple of feet to get the fish up over the weed and keep your self away from the edge.
    A 6000 is a big reel, I use 4000 for Salmon, Pike and Bass.
    You should look for an outfit thats 10ft 40 or 50grm and a reel no bigger than a 5000

• Advertisement

I should stick with the mackerel not half as confusing :D

Anyway i'm gonna follow stylie's advice and go for a 10ft, was scouting a mark last night and i reckon staying an extra foot from the edge might be no harm.

Saying that gonna call into the local tackle shop on Saturday and see what he's got, 2 much choice on the net when i'm a bit unsure of exactly what i want.

Cheers again for the help everyone, i'll let ye know how i get on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

moan 77 wrote: »

A plug is a type of lure. It's generally shaped and painted to look like a small bait fish, and is usually designed to wiggle or have some type of 'action' as it is dragged through water. Typically you cast them out as far as you can, then reel them back in. Pulling them back through the water makes them wiggle attracting predator fish (hopefully). In a moving boat you can also just tow them along without reeling in to get the same effect (usually called trolling).

(it's very similar to spinning, except the lure doesn't spin :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

viper123 wrote: »

I have the savagegear bushwhacker rod and its unreal. I have a 10 foot rod also that hasn't got a look in since I got the bushwhacker.
    Also I use a 3000 size reel loaded with braid and about 2 foot of flurocarbon at the end. You could fish all day with it and never feel the weight.
    Get the bushwhacker, for the money its probably hte best rod around. Plenty of reviews online too.

Called into the local tackle shop saturday morning and walked out with a lighter wallet, looking forward to heading out after work tomorrow for a few hours.

Rod:
    8" Kinetic Angelfish Spinning

Reel:
    Jaxon impress 400rd - nice and light & feels smooth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Called into the local tackle shop saturday morning and walked out with a lighter wallet

The only thing that's 100% guaranteed to happen in fishing :)

First outing last night and i'm delighted with the rod :D

No sign of any bass but i did get a few mackerel and 2 Pollock

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Ok i was doing a bit of research last night and i've found what i think is a good deal.

Penn Powerstix Pro Bass rod 11ft & A Penn Captiva II 6000 reel & 14lb line

€133 delivered

Opinions?

Is that from armzon thats a good price if u havnt check armzon give it a try good bass rods on there

Advertisement