Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cubicles

• 24-08-2011 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

im buying head to head cubicles at the moment and some companys are using 76ml pipe for head rails and more 60ml.any experience of either and what would you recomend or had problems with

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

I'd strongly recommend a brisket board at 5'7" from the kerb. A 3" x 2" would suffice. Bolt it to the floor, or the cows will blow it off.

We used to have a lot of problems with cows getting stuck and they solved it. Sorry I didn't install them sooner to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

few interesting videos here keep going

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wilsonagri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

yeah brsiket boards seem to be the job thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

cjpm wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend a brisket board at 5'7" from the kerb. A 3" x 2" would suffice. Bolt it to the floor, or the cows will blow it off.
    We used to have a lot of problems with cows getting stuck and they solved it. Sorry I didn't install them sooner to be honest

So you're saying - use a brisket, and forget about the head rail. Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

thought brisket boards were more to stop the cows lying too far forward and crapping on the bed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cln

whats a brisket board and why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Its a low board that runs across the cubicle in front of the cows chest (brisket) and stops the cow lying so near the front wall that she can't get up.

LC

pakalasa wrote: »
    So you're saying - use a brisket, and forget about the head rail. Is that right?
    John_F wrote: »
    thought brisket boards were more to stop the cows lying too far forward and crapping on the bed?

No you still need the head rail.

LC is right, their function is to stop cows lying too far forward. If the cows are lying too close to the lower rail or wall, then they cannot lunge forward when they get up.

If you watch cows standing in the field they will stand up on their back legs first and then the front legs. Cows too far forward in a cubicle are inclined to stand on their front legs first.

Every winter we had 4 or 5 cows that had to be pulled back in the cubicle with a rope as they couldn't stand. And it's not that we had small cubicles, they are above average. After the brisket boards were installed we didn't even have one!! :)

They also help keep the bed clean.

I had one cow myself last year that got rightly trapped. She went too far forward. Maybe the brisket boards would solve it for me too. Thanks.

pakalasa wrote: »
    I had one cow myself last year that got rightly trapped. She went too far forward. Maybe the brisket boards would solve it for me too. Thanks.

For the price of a few lengths of 3x2 you'll save yourself a lot of hassle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I'm confused

Are people saying that you need a top rail, a bottom rail and a brisket board or are ye calling the bottom rail a brisket board (this doesn't seem to be the case)

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I'm confused

Are people saying that you need a top rail, a bottom rail and a brisket board or are ye calling the bottom rail a brisket board (this doesn't seem to be the case)

For cubicles along a wall a bottom rail is not required.

I think it may be a requirement for back to back cubicles. It's definitly required for some types that are not set in concrete and are fixed to both rails instead.

A brisket board is recommended for both setups.
    5'7" from the kerb.

Has anyone fitted the Green Cowsafe Cubicles from easyfix. Look great for comfort etc. You'd have to wonder how long they would last though.

Green%20CowSafe%20Cubicle%207.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

For cubicles along a wall a bottom rail is not required.

I think it may be a requirement for back to back cubicles. It's definitly required for some types that are not set in concrete and are fixed to both rails instead.

A brisket board is recommended for both setups.
    5'7" from the kerb.

Have 110 cublices, some back to back some along walls. All have the bottom rail and none have the brisket board. In 25 years we have yet to have a cow stuck (touch wood)

Brisket board seems a bit excessive to me

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Have 110 cublices, some back to back some along walls. All have the bottom rail and none have the brisket board. In 25 years we have yet to have a cow stuck (touch wood)

Brisket board seems a bit excessive to me

You've ovbiously got a very good setup, and the boards should be not required. As a matter of interest, do all cows when standing get up on their back legs first??

We've the dutch comfort cubicles, all the rage around 1990. For us anyway (and a good few other lads we've spoken to with them) they were a disaster for cows getting stuck. Until we fitted the boards that is.

The guy at Mayo Mats strongly recommends the boards too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 G.U.R

we've had trouble most years with cows getting stuck. Always the older ones that are less sure on their feet. Never herd of a brisket board before. Must have a look into it. Are ye saying its just a 3x2 bolted to the floor?

G.U.R wrote: »
    we've had trouble most years with cows getting stuck. Always the older ones that are less sure on their feet. Never herd of a brisket board before. Must have a look into it. Are ye saying its just a 3x2 bolted to the floor?

Yep that's all it is.

It made a massive difference for us. Touch wood it will stay that way

Advertisement