Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Windows 7 and AD domain shares

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I've purchased new Win7 Pro machines, but cannot get the AD shares for an user to come through from startup.

Currently, the user has a batch file mapping shares (which is working fine) and has a home directory mapped thru AD. This is not showing up on any of the Win7 machines, but works fine with XP.

When logged on as the user, I can map the the home directory manually thru My Computer with the UNC path, but it will not even reconnect at logon.

On a different site I have its working fine, the onlydifference between the two is that in the site that works, the shares are on the same server as all AD services, whereas in the site that is problematic, the shares are on a serperate server.

Anyone any ideas??

Working off 2k3 Standard box by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The best way of doing on Win7 is via GPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Check the replication status between the servers,if they are in same forest/domain,depending on your Active Directory setup.

I'm guessing here..possible one batch file is on a GPO location and not replicated AND/OR in the 'netlogon' folder on only one server.
    The GPO saves the batch file in a special folder,with the ID of that GPO while the 'old' style logins saves in the 'netlogon' folder on a server...
    ALSO,check the status of 'net use H: /home' line in the batch file,it may be needed, beside the AD profile setting.

Pure guess from here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sleepless.ie

You could write a small batch file and up a short-cut to it in the start-up folder. There should be a place you can specify a username and password.

I know I had mobile clients not on the domain and I used a script that asked them for their domain username and password and then added the relevant drives.

You could write a small batch file and up a short-cut to it in the start-up folder. There should be a place you can specify a username and password.

I know I had mobile clients not on the domain and I used a script that asked them for their domain username and password and then added the relevant drives.

Yes,correct but won't look nice on your CV...as the logon details are in pure plain text and/or the user experience won't be great,as they have to type in twice login details,avoiding the single logon setup !

For users on non-domains,i would chose a same user name and password in local SAM ,matching account details on server' AD SAM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sleepless.ie

provided you dont have that many desktops you could hard code the user name and password into the script but your right a little box does pop up at login but I work for a company of techies so they dont mind.

or as said earlier using Group policies on you AD server would be the cleanest way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

I had this exact problem, what was causing it was a line I had in my batch file:

net use *.* del/yes

I put this line in to refresh new shares a while back, and never took it out. All shares working fine since this was ommitted.

joe2687 wrote: »
    I had this exact problem, what was causing it was a line I had in my batch file:

net use *.* del/yes

I put this line in to refresh new shares a while back, and never took it out. All shares working fine since this was ommitted.

Strange...most of my batch files has "net use * /delete /y " in first line as that stops users doing funny things on their own AND never had problems with shares !

but...you never know...how many engineers ,so many scripts ! :)
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

rolion wrote: »
    most of my batch files has "net use * /delete /y "

Sorry, thats the actual command, not the one I wrote. That'd do nothing! As a matter of interest, are the machines connecting all Windows 7?

Advertisement