Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Site for buying components

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What is the best site to buy computer components from as regards to price and delivery?

Currently building a HTPC from scratch and trying to keep the costs down.

Dabs.ie seems pretty good but heard some bad things about how long it takes for delivery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robbiefat

I wouldnt bother trying komplett either unless you want wait half a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

HWVS is the most used site here on boards, great selection, great prices and great service.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/

Another good cheap site is
    http://www.scan.co.uk/
    Or
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

As would be expected there isn't any Irish site that will be as cheap as those above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Dabs.ie is pretty good as well. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them.

Pixmania.ie can also be fantastic if you're looking for single items. A lot of the time they have great sales going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Serephucus wrote: »
    Pixmania.ie can also be fantastic if you're looking for single items. A lot of the time they have great sales going.

Agree with this, picked up my current GPU at the start of the year in a spring sale for dirt cheap. But got a call from AIB asking about the charge to my credit card so either it was due to Pixmania being in France or such, something to watch for.

Not 100% but I thought Komplett had an office in Dublin you could pick your stuff up from, might negate the shipping problems (know my brother had hassle waiting for stuff last year from them, but was only a few extra days).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^ You can pick up your stuff from Komplett's warehouse in Blanch and you can also pay them at the warehouse with Laser after collecting your order which I think is very handy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I'm pretty impressed with Elara.ie lately.
    They had the cheapest Asus P8P67 motherboard around when I had to replace my own one due to the recall recently.
    Looking around their site, they look very competitive, cheaper than Amazon in some cases.
    Postage starts at €8 which isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I had few good purchase from both Elara.ie or Komplett.ie with pick up, don't know about their shipping abilities.
    Thou both pick up points are really badly located imo.

Why noone has balls to make proper pick up point or IT store in some central location in Dublin? Could have few PCs connected there where we can walk in and make orders and ask advice from technically skilled staff... preferably warehouse would be in the same building to proceed with the orders immediately... oohh dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't mind the Komplett pick up point too much as its not too far away from my place!

I think its to do with the cost of renting the place. Its cheaper in the middle of nowhere industrial estate than in the city centre...

i've had two separate orders from Komplett over the last month.
    order 1 : processor, mobo and case - ordered sunday night, had it thursday
    order 2 : monitor - ordered sunday night, had it thursday :D

another order from dabs a few weeks ago,
    ordered on a monday lunch time, had it the following wednesday.
    bit of a wait,, but they were cheaper than komplett and also had free shipping.

so quite happy with Komplett tbh, and the free shipping (An Post) helps with the overall price.
    just be sure that the item you are ordering is in stock.
    and even after that keep an eye on your account page as (for order 2) on tues evening
    i checked and it showed my order, but said "0 stock expected 9 sept" (showed 5 in stock at time of ordereing),
    this gave me a bit of a shock and i rang to cancel the order but
    was told i got one of the last few monitors of that model and it had been shipped that day.

so all was good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

ed1604 wrote: »
    i've had two separate orders from Komplett over the last month.
    order 1 : processor, mobo and case - ordered sunday night, had it thursday
    order 2 : monitor - ordered sunday night, had it thursday :D

another order from dabs a few weeks ago,
    ordered on a monday lunch time, had it the following wednesday.
    bit of a wait,, but they were cheaper than komplett and also had free shipping.

so quite happy with Komplett tbh, and the free shipping (An Post) helps with the overall price.
    just be sure that the item you are ordering is in stock.
    and even after that keep an eye on your account page as (for order 2) on tues evening
    i checked and it showed my order, but said "0 stock expected 9 sept" (showed 5 in stock at time of ordereing),
    this gave me a bit of a shock and i rang to cancel the order but
    was told i got one of the last few monitors of that model and it had been shipped that day.

so all was good again.

Hrm, good to hear. Planning a partial upgrade before the holidays (damn Skyrim and its siren call.....COME AT ME BRO) and price wise it worked out €20 more expensive from Komplett than HWV. Would take the cost and pickup with the option to get it immediately and ease of returns :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement