Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robin

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

i planted a red robin tree/shrub 2 weeks ago. majority of leaves are green with outermost ones reddish. do i need to prune to bring out more red or leave it to work away itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

km79 wrote: »
    i planted a red robin tree/shrub 2 weeks ago. majority of leaves are green with outermost ones reddish. do i need to prune to bring out more red or leave it to work away itself?
    The red robin produces red foliage on new growth in the evergreen varieties that slowly turns to green.The deciduous varieties are almost the opposite with the leaves going from green to red in the autumn. So trimming the evergreen variety would produce new growth and new colourful foliage, but let it mature before you do anything with it to let it get a chance to settle in. Which one do you reckon you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Amost certain it's evergreen(waxy leaves )

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

No need to prune now. The wind has "pruned" six or seven full branches :(

Advertisement