Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small pet euthanasia

• 24-08-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I've been looking after a friends pet rats for the past week; never really handled them before but they are great fun. Anyhow they warned me that one of rats might croak while in my care. She ain't looking good at all at the moment, and while I don't think she's in pain, I might preempt that by bring her to a vet to get her put down. Also, to clarify, getting her put down is the only option as she's very elderly for a rat and has a few other aliments which I won't go into her.
    This actually sounds callous as I type, but erm, does €40 sound about right for what a [Dublin] vet would charge to put a small pet down? The interweb seems to say that it should cost around $10 but thats for the US so it doesn't factor in "paddy" tax

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Personally I think €40 is a bit steep. I would ring a few places if you can. I've only even had to put two hamsters to sleep and once it co-incided with another visit for my guinea pigs so I don't know how much it cost, but the time we brought a hammie on his own I don't think it was more than €30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I paid €5 to put a dwarf hamster down. For a rat they'd need more drug. What would a rat weigh, 400g? My dwarf that was put down was very small and frail so only 20g if even that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭purethick

Zapperzy wrote: »
    What would a rat weigh, 400g?

200-300g at a guess. Was that a vet based in Dublin out of curiousity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

purethick wrote: »
    200-300g at a guess. Was that a vet based in Dublin out of curiousity?

No sligo. Would think €40 is a bit much, if your right about the weight then around €20 would sound more reasonable. Maybe they're adding a consult fee on top of it?

Advertisement