Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA lunch

Options
  • 24-08-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭

I went to IKEA in Dublin a few weeks ago. It was just after my arrival to Ireland and, in need of lunch, we went to IKEA.

Alltså, jag vet inte hur jag ska skriva det på engelska and still make sense... But cutting to the chase: The meatballs (and hundreds of them in a "small portion") were served with chips even though there was a picture of mash potatoes on the wall. It would make so much more sense to serve it with mash, but yer wan behind the counter didn't even ask what I wanted with the it. I'm not sure if I even had a choice... :confused:

So my question is: Has anyone else been to IKEA for meatball-lunch, and if so, what did you get with it? Does the dish sell better in Ireland if you serve with chips? :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very odd, I get it with mash every time and they ask which I would prefer, you must have made a bad first impression ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Yeah, it could've been my fault as I had a hard time understanding the one behind the counter. She was a rough woman, who had no patience whatsoever with foreign customers and didn't seem to understand/care I had no clue what she was ranting about in her thick accent... ;)

It was ever so strange to have it with chips, but what can you do? :p

Also: To make matters worse, the Irish lads I went with turned down the lingon berry jam. I was horrified!! How could you turn down the mandatory jam?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, you can choose between mash and chips.
    I think sizes are 10/15/20 meatballs? 10 will do most people. Tried 20 once but couldn't finish it.

The jam is a must :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

My favourite IKEA meal without a doubt! The sauce is great (any ideas on what else could be eaten with it?) but can see why Irish people might be sceptical of a 'jam' with savoury food -- IME a lot of people don't even eat cranberry sauce.

Also, I'm sure it doesn't even need saying, the meals there are fantastic value. We've even made a trip once or twice pretty much specifically for the food, with the half-excuse of browsing for furniture in case anybody asked :P

biko wrote: »
    I think sizes are 10/15/20 meatballs? 10 will do most people. Tried 20 once but couldn't finish it.

I think it's a mad amount of meatballs! ... Even 10 is :rolleyes:
    Fair play for trying 20 :pac:

Aard wrote: »
    My favourite IKEA meal without a doubt! The sauce is great (any ideas on what else could be eaten with it?) but can see why Irish people might be sceptical of a 'jam' with savoury food -- IME a lot of people don't even eat cranberry sauce.

Also, I'm sure it doesn't even need saying, the meals there are fantastic value. We've even made a trip once or twice pretty much specifically for the food, with the half-excuse of browsing for furniture in case anybody asked :P

That sauce, gräddsås (if I'm not mistaken) seems to go well with minced-meat-foods. Like meatballs, cabbage pudding and stuffed cabbage rolls (my favourite!!), it works best if you have boiled potatoes with it :)

I do understand the jam skepticism - a little bit anyway. My Irishman still can't understand why we use sauce on everything in Sweden... Nevermind the jam :rolleyes:
    Needless to say, though, he doesn't try any meat with sauce or jelly.

I'm happy to hear that you like the food! - And I LOVE the excuse! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just wait until Christmas when he puts cranberry sauce on his stuffing and turkey, then go A-HA!

I have never gotten to celebrate an Irish Christmas before. Perhaps when I do, things will finally make sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

So my question is: Has anyone else been to IKEA for meatball-lunch, and if so, what did you get with it?
    I got my meat balls with mashed potatos and blackcurrant marmalade.
    Delicious.

wolf moon wrote: »
    I got my meat balls with mashed potatos and blackcurrant marmalade.
    Delicious.

Blackcurrant marmalade? Are you sure? :eek:
    Was it jelly-like? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Pomme frites med allting. Så är det på Irland. Även kinamat säljs med pommes frites på Irland. Så funkar vi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Beggared

biko wrote: »
    Just wait until Christmas when he puts cranberry sauce on his stuffing and turkey, then go A-HA!
    Weren't A-Ha Norwegian... ;)

I love the ligonberry sauce, my only complaint is that they give you the same amount for 20 balls as they do for 10. Yes I am a greedy little person... they are so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Blackcurrant marmalade? Are you sure? :eek:
    Was it jelly-like? :)
    I am sure.
    Yes, jelly-like.

ush wrote: »
    Pomme frites med allting. Så är det på Irland. Även kinamat säljs med pommes frites på Irland. Så funkar vi.

Usch! :P
    I och för sig är pommes väldigt gott, men ibland undrar jag... :rolleyes:

wolf moon wrote: »
    I am sure.
    Yes, jelly-like.

That's delicious! :)

Beggared wrote: »
    Weren't A-Ha Norwegian... ;)

I love the ligonberry sauce, my only complaint is that they give you the same amount for 20 balls as they do for 10. Yes I am a greedy little person... they are so nice.

Yeah, that's not on. More jam with more meatballs, that should go without saying :)

Advertisement