Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

View Dell monitors in Dublin!

Options
  • 24-08-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

Is there a place I would be able to view Dell monitors such as the U2711 in a shop in Dublin?

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Just an FYI: you didn't need a new thread for this. ;)

Off-hand, I don't think so. Usually shops like PC World stock lower-end monitors, and as a rule, most of the don't sell Dell, but you could always have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chuie

kk I wasn't sure, thanks.

So since I have more of a focus on resolution and on a 16:10 screen would I be better off going for a 27" or 24" monitor? Or would there be much of a difference?
    Which models of each size would you favour?

I have a U2410 at the moment, but I've been looking at a 27 or 30. Having said that, I game, and watch a lot of movies; I don't do much office type stuff.

I think 24 would be fine for your needs, personally. Just pick up a 24" Syncmaster and you're good to go.

If you want, you could look into a desk mount or something. I have one, and I love it. Best €200 I ever spent. It's called the Ergotron LX Desk Mount.

Very nice! I like the desk mount idea. I have a glass table though, would it still work on this??

Do you find the U2410 good? Why are you recommending the Samsung above the U2410?

As an aside would you download the movies you watch or stream them?

I've no idea, you'd have to read up on the desk mount, or call Ergotron about that one.

I do, but at lot of the features the U2410 has a wasted on an office monitor. It's mean for professional (or very pick) people, doing tasks that require very accurate colours. I've said this a few times now...

Most of them are ripped from DVDs / blu-rays.

• Advertisement

ha sorry it was still unclear in my head. Cool well I'll go off and investigate it further!

Thanks a lot for your advice, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

VenomIreland is ordering one (U2711) form HWVS this week (if he hasn't done so already), give him a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you want, you could look into a desk mount or something. I have one, and I love it. Best €200 I ever spent. It's called the Ergotron LX Desk Mount.

I was looking into this also recently. From what I could find it was the best desk mount around. Good to hear you recommending it. But feck you would get a fine monitor for that price!

deejer wrote: »
    I was looking into this also recently. From what I could find it was the best desk mount around. Good to hear you recommending it. But feck you would get a fine monitor for that price!

I know, it's a lot, but for me it's wonderful. I have really bad eyesight, so I need the monitor closer, and higher than any conventional stand will allow. So far it's been three years, and three monitors, and it's still working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Serephucus wrote: »
    I know, it's a lot, but for me it's wonderful. I have really bad eyesight, so I need the monitor closer, and higher than any conventional stand will allow. So far it's been three years, and three monitors, and it's still working perfectly.

Ya when you look at it that way its a good investment. I am a bit limited for space so thought it would be a good way to make some room. Does it hold its position well?

There are ones you can get for Eur50 that are alot of hassle if you want to change its position. You pay for the convenience I guess

• Advertisement

It holds perfectly*. I've never had to readjust it because of it "drooping" or whatever. It's also piss-easy to move, you just... move it. No knobs or screws or anything.

* Assuming it's calibrated correctly. There's a spring mechanism in the arm designed to counteract the weight of the monitor. You're given an alan key with the mount, and you basically keep turning until moving the monitor in every direction requires roughly the same force.

Where did you purchase the Ergotron LX Desk Mount from?

What size monitor do you use with it?

Komplett.ie, and U2410.

What connection do you find best for each type of media for the monitor - HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, Display port?

.... and you're not trolling, yes?

DVI.

DVI best for computer? Xbox? TV box?

DVI for the PC. I don't have an xBox, or a TV.

Sorry to be continually bothering you I'm just new to this and want to make sure I'm fully aware of what I'm getting into before buying anything!

Where did you buy the DVI connection wire? What kind did you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I just have a few bits of advice for you Chuie.
    1) Don't make four different threads asking the same question!
    2) Do some of your own research.
    3) Just buy any 16:10(1920x1200) 24" monitor.

First comment speaks for it's self.
    Some of the questions your asking are a little ridiculous, things like which cable to use or what's better 24 or 27 inch. These are all simple things that you can find out with a little bit of common sense and some research. We can't tell you what's the "best" item to buy or "best" thing to do for you. As with almost everything in life, it really depends on your preferences and what your going to be using the monitor for. So it's really up to you to decide, we can only help with your decision.

And what I mean by the third comment is just buy any 1920x1200 24" monitor. And I mean any, for you it really doesn't make any difference at all. For office use(which is what your using it for) the monitor will make almost no difference apart from it's physical size(24") and resolution(1920x1200). Obviously a 27" monitor can fit more stuff onto it but really do you need that ridiculos size for writing a letter in word or doing simple online research? My answer is no. I personally have a 22" monitor at home and I use my pc for basic office use aswell as programming, web development and other more advanced uses and I feel it's perfectly adaquate for any task really. Save yourself some money and time as get a good 24" monitor. That's my advice, hope it helps.
    Take your pick,
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-samsung-sm2443bw-black-widescreen-lcd-1920x1200-10001-300-cd-m-5-ms-vesa
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/computing,desktops-and-monitors,monitors/11109-52980000?q=1200&sw=1

And I'm sorry if I seem a little blunt or short, it's just your being way too worried about this when there is no reason to be. For normal office use you really won't notice any difference.

• Advertisement

No your advice was fair enough. I'm new to boards and to tv/monitor specifications so I was unaware of the 'stupid' questions and statements.

I know this may also come across as another stupid question but sure I'm on a roll at this stage!

I was wondering what are the main differences between buying a tv screen to buying a computer monitor e.g. the differences between dell monitors and samsung tv screens?

Would it just be the connection types available as matching resolution levels and other specifications seem to be available on both?

Chuie wrote: »
    I was wondering what are the main differences between buying a tv screen to buying a computer monitor
    Monitors don't have TV tuners.

Which can be bought separately!!
    Is that the only difference your aware of?

Chuie wrote: »
    Which can be bought separately!!
    Is that the only difference your aware of?
    No, but the other differences also apply to Monitor X vs Monitor Y. Not all TV's are the same, and not all the monitor's are the same so unless you are comparing a specific TV to a specific monitor, the comparison is redundant.

If you are gaming however, monitors by-and-large perform better as TV's usually do some additional image processing which introduces lag. That's the only major difference that could be applied liberally.

Advertisement