Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nasal Strips

• 24-08-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

Have done a boards search and haven't found anything relevant...

Anyone have any experience of the effects or benefits of nasal strips during cycling. My breathing isn't really as honed as it should be and was thinking of using these.

Is there a prefered brand?

They seem to work for Phillipe Gilbert...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Unless you have very unusual nasal architecture it is unlikely that your nose is the thing stopping you from becoming Phillipe Gilbert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I really don't get why people use them for sport. Mouth breathing ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    I really don't get why people use them for sport. Mouth breathing ftw.

For The Wasps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If your snoring is bothering other cyclists it might help:

http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/breatheright/fch.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Johnners1878

Utter nonsense. And if you don't believe me, then -

"For example, researchers at Illinois State University recently checked out the effects of the Nasal Dilator on five cyclists during high-intensity exercise. In one instance, the athletes cycled without anything on their noses, a second time they pedalled with the Nasal Dilator in place, and on a third occasion they rode while fitted with nothing more than a piece of flesh-coloured tape on their noses (the Dilator and tape were applied while the subjects' eyes were closed, ensuring their innocence about what was actually attached to their noses).

And did the Dilators actually pull a little more air into the cyclists' lungs? Well no! In fact, there was a trend for the cyclists' to ventilate better with absolutely nothing on their snouts. In addition, oxygen usage during exercise and the number of breaths taken per minute were absolutely equivalent between the three conditions.

Still, Breathe-Right proponents argue that while the apparatus might not have any direct physiological effects, it's still worth using because it makes you feel better about your breathing - and thus makes you feel as though your exertions are easier. Well, bad news - the Illinois State scientists checked that possibility, too, simply by asking their athletes how they felt during exercise. Two cyclists chose the simple piece of tape, two chose the naked-nose condition, and - alas - just one hopeless individual preferred the Nasal Dilator."

http://www.pponline.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Utter nonsense. And if you don't believe me, then -

"For example, researchers at Illinois State University recently checked out the effects of the Nasal Dilator on five cyclists during high-intensity exercise. In one instance, the athletes cycled without anything on their noses, a second time they pedalled with the Nasal Dilator in place, and on a third occasion they rode while fitted with nothing more than a piece of flesh-coloured tape on their noses (the Dilator and tape were applied while the subjects' eyes were closed, ensuring their innocence about what was actually attached to their noses).

And did the Dilators actually pull a little more air into the cyclists' lungs? Well no! In fact, there was a trend for the cyclists' to ventilate better with absolutely nothing on their snouts. In addition, oxygen usage during exercise and the number of breaths taken per minute were absolutely equivalent between the three conditions.

Still, Breathe-Right proponents argue that while the apparatus might not have any direct physiological effects, it's still worth using because it makes you feel better about your breathing - and thus makes you feel as though your exertions are easier. Well, bad news - the Illinois State scientists checked that possibility, too, simply by asking their athletes how they felt during exercise. Two cyclists chose the simple piece of tape, two chose the naked-nose condition, and - alas - just one hopeless individual preferred the Nasal Dilator."

http://www.pponline.co.uk

god help us if gilbert ever races without one :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

These were big back in the 90s in soccer, I don't see anyone wearing them now, so I assume it was a placebo fad, just like the vicks on the jersey.

fowlercurtains.jpg

patrick-vieira.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Towards the back of the nose my septum isn't straight to the extent that one passage is about 60-70% occluded. I can have an operation to straighten it but the doc has warned that there's a good chance things could end up worse so much so that id actually end up closer to bert grabsch than Phil gil...

Advertisement