Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minor damage on rim - solutions?

• 24-08-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I've just replaced my brake pads which has highlighted some light damage to one spot of the rims - it is just in one spot and it is like the rim wall (where the pad touches) has been scored away a little such that the brake pad 'grabs' just a little more at this point - at speed it is a pulsing sensation through the brakes, at low speed not really noticeable.

I am concerned I am going to eat away at the new brake pad quicker than normal as the contact surface isn't smooth. How do I fix this? Will the brake pad wear that rough spot smooth over time, or should I try and file it down gently (and with what)? The spot is not rusty.

The damage was probably caused by my previous set of brake pads being worn down a little more than I care admit - they 'grabbed' on me quite severely at low speed the other day such that I nearly went over the handlebars. Oops. :o

Any tips greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I've done something similar and when I get it back from spoke repair and truing I'll be raiding my wife's nail file collection to smooth it down a bit. Just take your time with some really fine sandpaper as it is aluminuim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Sounds a bit odd, usually if youve let the pads wear down too much youll get groves on the rim! How old is it? Is the rest of the rim still flat or is it concave at all? You can check by holding something flat against the rim and see if there are any gaps between it and the rim. Its unusual to get outward bits on the rim unless youve been using spoons to take off your tyre or the rim has worn so much thats its starting to fold outwards, if theres one thing on a bike you dont want to take a chance on, its a rim failing!

Advertisement