Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photos of running events

• 24-08-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All, This is my first post, I am far from being a seasoned photographer, and only moved into digital about two years ago. A friend of mine who is a professional photographer brought me along to a Marathon to take photographs for a company in the uk. I took about 5000 shots and got €100 for the day ( approx 6 hours ). I found a website though called racepix where you can upload photos you take at events and sell them on line and the dublin city triathlon is on in pheonix park this weekend and I was thinking of trying this out. Am I mad ? Is there money to be made at this ?

Thanks any advise welcome:
    T&H :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Money to be made - sometimes. How much really depends. Sometimes you earn nothing doing these things.

All racepix does is links back to your flickr account (no direct sales, as such). People still have to go to you for prints.

I've never made a cent from images linked on racepix (and I've covered a few events), but have made money from direct sales from race events.

It's very much hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 turner and hooch

I know but someone is making money, The event I covered with my mate, there were 8 of us at €100 each add that to what they must of paid the event organisers ... thats a lot of money to be made ( or lost !! ) and these guys cover sometimes up to 10 events every weekend.

I know what your saying about racepix, but it must be easier for a runner to find them than if I had an account on flicker, I mean I put in the words marathon Photos into google and Racepix came up straight away, It must surely be harder for someone to find my photos elsewhere.
    Am I better off trying to get regular gigs with my buddies in the UK for €100 a pop ? Doesn't seem alot for taking 5000 - 10000 shots though, taking in wear & Tear of my equipment + aching muscles !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I'm a runner and also a photographer and I know for a fact there's no money to be made from this. :(

I agree with you, I can't figure out why anyone would want to buy a photo of themselves with big red sweaty heads, but I have a niggle telling me, that these other companies aren't doing it for fun. After we did the photos of the marathon, I got talking to one of the lads from England, he said they expect to sell photos to about 3%, at €30 for a runners gallery. There were 8000 runners.... do the math.

Maybe it only works for the big events like the Marathons when you have several thousands competing, but these companies wouldn't keep doing it if there isn't money to be made. Maybe its hard earned money, but in these hardened times hard earned is better than not earned.

Also maybe its just me but I hate the idea of companies coming over from the UK to cover events, when there are so many good photographers here that would do a much better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I'd say that 3% would be very optimistic. Runners love to see themselves pictured in races but no way would they pay €30! There's so many photographers taking pics at races that give their pics out for free that there's no need to pay for pictures from companies.

Also, you state: 'when there are so many good photographers here that would do a much better job'. Any photographer can take pics of runners, just choose a fast shutter speed and you're away! I don't mean to be negative, but I think you'll struggle to make any money, let alone decent money. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Don't forget that agencies that take photos of marathons and such will also supply to the press. They're more likely to make money from that then they are from direct sales (to runners). They would also sell to ad agencies, sponsors, etc.

For many events I've done, I've shot for the organisation running the event. They want images to publicise the event for coming events.

And, of course, these photographers, as you said, cover many events in a day. Little amounts from each event, rather than big payments from a race.

I'd prefer €100 cash for a day, rather than shooting for myself in the hope of making some money.

Thanks lads good advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sales on the day to runners might about make 3% if your lucky but online drops down below 1% and lower, if you do it for long enough your back catalogue can help sales

Thanks lads for all the advice, and although I know its probably a waste of my time, I think I have to give it a shot anyway. Its one of those things, if you don't try it you will always wonder...what if !

Advertisement