Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year arts!!

Options
  • 24-08-2011 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey, I've just been accepted to UCD arts and I'm really confused!
    I'm doing geog and sociology and maybe info studies! I'm confused about modules and credits.
    I know that I need 60 credits in stage one.... if I do 3 subjects , how many credits do I take in each? and can i take electives aswell?
    Can you apply for more credits than you need?
    Are there core modules in each subject that I must do?
    I'm sorry if these are basic but I'm just so new to this!! :) thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mr Mime

I Have no idea either :D

But if you live in Dublin the college is having like an 'open day' for arts students on the 29th from 2-4. Some of the professors will explain modules and electives and such..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you do more than 60 credits in an academic year you have to pay for them. And yes, each subject has core modules and you must do them if you want to study that subject as a major or minor in second year.

How many credits you take in each subject is up to you. If you took 3 subjects you would usually take 20 credits in each. Electives are included in the 60 credits you must do. When I was I first year you could do up to 20 credits in electives. Things are a bit different this year though so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Atychiphobia

Ok, I really hope this hasn't changed since I registered for Arts two years ago, otherwise this advice will be all wrong. :P But the way most people do it is they take three subjects in first year. So say you decided to do Geography, Sociology and Information studies, that would be four modules for each subject. Each module is 5 credits, making up your sixty credits. I'm pretty sure there's about two core modules for each subject, and two optional modules, that you don't have to take. If you want to do (a max of 2) electives in a different subject you can, it just means you won't be doing four modules for each of you three main subjects. Really hope this makes sense!!
    The way I did it in first year was 4 modules/20 credits of Italian, 3 modules/15 credits each for English&Linguistics, and 2 modules/10 credits of Psychology. Just make sure you have the cores you need for any subject you might want to do in second and third year.
    Also, I don't know anyone that ever bothered paying extra to do more than 60 credits. 60 is enough for most people. Best of luck and I really hope this made sense!!

Advertisement