Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Non-Apple Memory Upgrade in Apple MBPs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No risk to the hardware, Apple obviously won't provide any support if the new memory if it dosent work properly, but it won't void your warranty on the rest of the hardware if you know what I mean.

Prices ought to be competitive as DDR3 is dirt cheap at the moment. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,424 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a risk that you'd have to pay VAT on the purchase if you ship it in from the US, have you considered buying locally - www.elara.ie for example? I bought a Kingston memory upgrade for my iMac from them, was 1/3 of the official Apple price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd recommend Crucial.com for the RAM. Their memory is reliable and comes with a lifetime warranty. Good prices too. They will charge you Irish VAT at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'd recommend Crucial.com for the RAM. Their memory is reliable and comes with a lifetime warranty. Good prices too. They will charge you Irish VAT at the checkout.

Bought two sticks of RAM from Crucial a couple of weeks ago. One was DOA. In fairness they did send UPS to pick up the faulty RAM but I had to wait for them to receive the return before they would send out the replacement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've generally had very positive experiences with Crucial, but I once had a RAM chip fail on me after a year. It didn't put me off buying from them though as it could just have easily have happened with anyone else except they mightn't have replaced it as easily as Crucial did. Cheap RAM means less tested RAM no matter where you buy it from, so good customer service/warranty is the most important thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement