Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch Query

Options
  • 24-08-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has been done to death/daft question!

I have an Eircom Phonewatch monitored alarm system, We really dont use the landline at all and I would probably get shut of the landline if it werent for the alarm...

Can this system work as a monitored system with other providers/carriers or even a mobile phone system?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It will work with any phone provider. Eircom will try to tell you otherwise.
    They will try say it will only work with Eircom lines or else their GSM unit. I personally would not recommend GSM as a secure form of monitoring. Too easily jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has been done to death/daft question!

I have an Eircom Phonewatch monitored alarm system, We really dont use the landline at all and I would probably get shut of the landline if it werent for the alarm...

Can this system work as a monitored system with other providers/carriers or even a mobile phone system?

Thanks in advance

Mike

I know a few people, wont mention names on here :D that have got a UPC phone connected to there P.W alarm. P.W dont know about it as when they come to test the system all signals go through to the monitoring station. P.W will tell you it wont work but believe me it does ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭moby2101

Thanks guys..

So am I right in thinking ..

I can replace Eircom with UPC and will the UPC engineer do the connect up for me?

Also (sorry another question!) what's the cost involved to install a GSM unit that will send alarm alerts 2 a mobile ?

Many Thanks
    Mike

Thanks guys..

Your welcome.
    So am I right in thinking ..

I can replace Eircom with UPC and will the UPC engineer do the connect up for me?

You can, I would not think the UPC installer would take a chance helping out with a monitored alarm.
    It will all depend how it is set up to work. If the main line coming into the house in connected to the back of an Eircom socket L1 L2, then disconnect this and put the new line from the UPC on the L1 L2. The newer UPC boxes have to phone points to use.
    Also (sorry another question!) what's the cost involved to install a GSM unit that will send alarm alerts 2 a mobile ?

The best thing to do is ring a few of the suppliers to get some prices, I know condor sell these units I would use.
    CONDOR SECURITY DISTRIBUTION LTD.
    23A Greenhills Industrial Estate,
    Greenhills Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12, Ireland.
    01 409 7733/34

If you do get the UPC the a voice dialer will work with that but if not then they also supply the GSM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

only one phone port on my upc works?? is there a way to turn on port 2??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think its there for if you require a seperate, 2nd line.

The two of them should be active, I would get on to UPC as there may be a fault with port 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As far as I know, port two is for a second line.

altor wrote: »
    The two of them should be active, I would get on to UPC as there may be a fault with port 2.

Only one is active..I've don tons of them & I have UPC myself.
    Thats always the case.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Thats always the case.

I have done some also and the two ports have being active.

• Advertisement

Hope you checked them...
    There is voltage there that will show a line , but it won't dial out.

Hardly going to connect and not test :D

So you got a line that can dial out on both ports?
    The customer must have had 2 lines.
    From UPC
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/282/~/installing-home-phone

For those customers who have chosen to connect our Home Phone service themselves, please follow these easy step-by-step instructions.

You will first need to connect the modem supplied with your phone handset. Please click here for more information on how to do this. Once you have completed this, please follow these steps:

o Connect your telephone to the port on your cable modem marked 'TELEPHONE' or 'TEL 1' depending on your modem type.

o The Telephone ports are light grey and are labelled '1' and '2'. Note: For single line Telephone service, connect Telephone cable to RJ-11 port labelled 'Port 1'.

o You may want to transfer your phone number to your new UPC service, click here for more information on how to do this.

If you have an existing telephone number, you should not cancel your current phone line; this will happen automatically as part of the number transfer process. If you do cancel your phone line, it could potentially cause you to lose your telephone number and result in significant time and expense to retrieve it.

o If you no longer wish to use your previous phone number, you can continue to use the phone number we provided to you. Details of your number are contained within your welcome letter, or alternatively you can dial 174 and your number will be relayed to you.

If the customer does have single line Telephone service then thats the modem thats faulty.

Worked for me.

like I said, either the customer had 2 lines or the unit is faulty.

The customer has two lines.

Amazing!!:D

Amazing!!:D

Your amazed they have 2 phone lines :D

The reason they do is partly my fault, I had told them that there is 2 phone outputs on the UPC when it is installed. When they ordered it UPC activated the second line as they said they need it for there alarm, just like they have done to a few others I have set this up for. It will all be back to 1 phone line with priority this week.

Thanks for your input :D

Your amazed they have 2 phone lines :D
    No . I'm amazed at the quickest U Turn I've seen since FF told us the IMF were only in town to say hi! :D;)

Every day is a learning day in this business :D
    I am sure you have performed a few u turns yourself ;)

• Advertisement

I agree. And the best way to do that is from others.
    Everyone learns from someone else
    So when a couple of people tell me the same thing I generally tend to beleive them
    As far as I know, port two is for a second line.
    Thats always the case.
    Insted of making it out to be a fault.

Anyway as this forum is all about those who know helping those who don't we'll clock this up as another sucess story.:D:D

Ok we will, without getting in to your u turns ;)

maybe thats on the older modems. the news ones are an all in one type.. internet/and modem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Just on the subject of UPC boxes. I have connected voice and monitored digis to these router boxes. As you guys have indeed mentioned the 1st telephone output at the back, usually with one of those telecom t piece connectors.
    It is a pain to actually run this line in and then out of the digi, have any of you guys done it?
    Also is it true that if the electricity is off these phone outputs do not work, again has anyone any idea if this is true?
    Being honest I have only connected to 2 UPC systems so I am still learning.:confused:

Here how we do it with line seizure.
    Get one double RJ 11 socket.
    un46a_new.jpg

1 RJ 11 to Rj11 lead
    pic14.jpg

At the rear of the socket wire red/black from socket 1 to line in on the dialler & blue/yellow from socket 2 to line out of the digi.

Connect RJ11 patch lead from Ph1 of the modem to socket 1 & plug the phone into socket 2. If there are other phone connections around the house these can also be connected to socket 2.
    Yes if the power goes off the line is dead. You can put a back up power supply or a UPS onto the modem, however if there is a power cut in the area there is a good chance UPC will be down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks Kool Kid, That makes perfect sense, that was the new thing I learned today.

One a day is good.
    I had some nice learning curves today with an Inner Range Panel .
    Have you ever had the pleasure?:rolleyes:

One a day is good.
    I had some nice learning curves today with an Inner Range Panel .
    Have you ever had the pleasure?:rolleyes:
    I never heard of that make before. .to google i go! ;)

OT posts deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement