Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PART TIME FARMING

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

great thread

full time farmer so nothing to contribute

enjoyed reading the posts

good luck to all both on/off farm

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

hey all,

i'm working off farm but want to buy some weanlings;
    are there any evening sales in west area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

hey all,

What part of the west, you will have to be a bit more specific?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

hey all,

Take your pick
    Monday - Granard (eve) tuam
    Tuesday - Roscommon (eve)
    Wednesday - Mohill (eve)
    Thursday - Castlerea (day) gort
    Friday - Loughrea (eve), mountbellew
    Saturday - Ballinasloe (day) headford (day) balla maam cross

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

TUBBY wrote: »
    Take your pick
    Wednesday - Mohill (eve)

Cheers Tubby, great info
    I’m going to Gort tomorrow evening for a look;
    I’m selling store heifers in Balla on Saturday but they have their weanlings in a separate Tuesday 11am sale
    If the heifers sell well i might have a few bob to reinvest, the Charolais show is on in Tuam on Monday; I might take a half day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

TUBBY wrote: »
    Take your pick
    Wednesday - Mohill (eve)

Cheers Tubby, great info
    I’m going to Gort tomorrow evening for a look;
    I’m selling store heifers in Balla on Saturday but they have their weanlings in a separate Tuesday 11am sale
    If the heifers sell well i might have a few bob to reinvest, the Charolais show is on in Tuam on Monday; I might take a half day!
    Teacher here
    40 sucklers 100ewes carry half the calves for 1or 2yrs depending on when I need money.
    Considering leaving the sheep
    Cows pay the best but can go wrong as easly as right when calving.
    Biggest trouble is time off for calving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

you hit the nail on the head there with those points, i find when you are only there for short periods of time that the handling facilites etc need to be good
    one thing i have found to be a life saver is new camera i fitted last year, it can pan tilt and zoom so i can cover the whole shed, in fact if it wasnt for dividing walls I could cover all my sheds with the one camera. I can check it from work,previously my camera could only cover 1 spot so if you had more than 1 calving you couldnt really watch them

where did you get your camera??

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

i bought a cheap 49.00euro outdoor camera from lidl /alidi .mounted it up on rafter looking down on calving pen 3 years ago got extra cable alarm stuff from local electric store 13 euro and now works off old TV in bedroom over 250 ft away .best thing i have so far as part time its handy not to be getting up just peep head above covers and check for movement .

PS keep sound turned down as until your used to it as cows bellowing late at night wakes the whole house...

i have since put in two more cameras off same tv works a treat and easy setup.

only disadvantage is cable needs to come in its not wireless so only suits local positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

razor8 wrote: »
    where did you get your camera??
    ebay

• Advertisement

ebay

what make/model is it, is it wireless?

i have a 3 double shed where i lamb sheep, most camera's can only check max two pens so be interested to know where you got yours, thanks

jerdee wrote: »
    i bought a cheap 49.00euro outdoor camera from lidl /alidi .mounted it up on rafter looking down on calving pen 3 years ago got extra cable alarm stuff from local electric store 13 euro and now works off old TV in bedroom over 250 ft away .best thing i have so far as part time its handy not to be getting up just peep head above covers and check for movement .

PS keep sound turned down as until your used to it as cows bellowing late at night wakes the whole house...

i have since put in two more cameras off same tv works a treat and easy setup.

only disadvantage is cable needs to come in its not wireless so only suits local positions.

would like one that was wireless if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

razor8 wrote: »
    what make/model is it, is it wireless?

i have a 3 double shed where i lamb sheep, most camera's can only check max two pens so be interested to know where you got yours, thanks

its an axis 215, good camera, expensive though, was looking for a long time before i got one half resonable on ebay

Advertisement