Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting in touch with past students

Options
  • 24-08-2011 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

I have accepted a place on a post grad course. I am a little worried the course might not be for me and would like to contact students who might have done it in the past. I have found a couple on linkedin and one on facebook, but I dont have a premium a/c on linkedin so cant contact them and the one fb did not reply. Is there any way to get in touch with past students of a course to get their feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

I have accepted a place on a post grad course. I am a little worried the course might not be for me and would like to contact students who might have done it in the past. I have found a couple on linkedin and one on facebook, but I dont have a premium a/c on linkedin so cant contact them and the one fb did not reply. Is there any way to get in touch with past students of a course to get their feedback?

Did you have a look on Facebook for a class page? I know my class had a page on FB and you can usually see whats going on or whats being said?

Search groups and pages on Facebook, you will also be able to contact members via PM for specifics, or maybe you will see the old class reps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The course director or whoever is managing the admissions for it may be able to pass on their email addresses to you - I get quite a few questions that way from prospective students. I don't see anything wrong with contacting them through LinkedIn either - the worst they can do is not respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The course director or whoever is managing the admissions for it may be able to pass on their email addresses to you

I would have thought the lecturer would have to maintain their privacy?
    I don't see anything wrong with contacting them through LinkedIn either - the worst they can do is not respond.

I only have the very basic linkedin a/c which doesnt allow you exchange email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

In my own case we were asked when we were leaving if we minded them giving out our email addresses to prospective students. Most of us have more than one email address so I wasn't too worried about some graduate showing up at my house or anything.

You could just email the course director (whatever it's called at the uni you're looking at) and explain you would have specific questions you'd like to ask someone who has done the course or whatever. If they have contact details they'll either give them to you or pass yours on to a previous grad. Or they might just be very unhelpful. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

You never know, a boardsie or two might have done the course if you want to say which one it is?

Advertisement