Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handyman horror!

Options
  • 24-08-2011 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I'm getting really sick of the "handy man" our letting agency use to fix things and I'm wondering what my rights are or where I can complain to as the letting agency don't seem to take any of it on board!

When we moved into our apartment first we noticed the oven door was broken - one of the hinges had a piece missing. We told the letting agency and she sent around mr handyman. It appeared to be fixed so we used it but when I went to open the door to remove cooked food, the door fell off and burnt my arm! Once inspected, we realised that 'handyman' had not replaced the missing part, but somehow jammed the door into place - temporary measure more than anything but he decided it was fine! We complained and told the letting agency that he did not fix it at all and actually what he did was dangerous and burnt my arm and they said they'd get on it. It has been fine now for going on 18 months but last weekend the door came off the hinge AGAIN and we were able to see that yet again, he had not replaced the part...this is despite me getting burnt the last time! Surely there's someone I can report this to? I didn't get burnt this time luckily but he was aware of this fault AND that I got burnt and still did not fix it!

The letting agency are "getting on it" again but when I suggested that their handyman knowingly didn't fix this despite me getting burnt they said "oh, I'm sure that's not the case" even though we pointed out twice before that there was a piece missing!

The same handyman has ruined one of our towels using it as a rag to clean up, installed a broken smoke alarm and attached our shower door the wrong way around! :mad:

Does anyone know where I can complain to so I can get this sorted once and for all?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can only complain to the letting agent.

Next time, advise them that you want to hire your own handyman and bill them for the time/work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What you said

Write a formal letter of complaint to the letting agency telling them that if you don't have a satisfactory outcome within 20 business days [a month], that you will be taking it up with the small claims court.
    If you don't have a satisfactory outcome after 20 business days, initiate SCC procedure online, costs €15.

Paulw wrote: »
    You can only complain to the letting agent.

Next time, advise them that you want to hire your own handyman and bill them for the time/work done.

Next time is not good enough. They sent someone around to fix it but it was left it in a dangerous state. What if your 3 year old was passing by the oven and accidentally pulled on the door and burned themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

And use email in any communication with the letting agency and copy another email address so you have a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

RangeR wrote: »
    Write a formal letter of complaint to the letting agency telling them that if you don't have a satisfactory outcome within 20 business days [a month], that you will be taking it up with the small claims court.
    If you don't have a satisfactory outcome after 20 business days, initiate SCC procedure online, costs €15.

Who are you taking to court?? You can't take the handyman to court since you have no contract with him. You can't take the letting agent to court since they didn't do the work.

Definitely write a letter of complaint though.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Who are you taking to court?? You can't take the handyman to court since you have no contract with him. You can't take the letting agent to court since they didn't do the work.

Definitely write a letter of complaint though.

I thought I was clear. The letting agency is at fault. It's their responsibility. they can in turn take proceedings against the handyman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

There are hundreds of properties looking for decent tenants. Tell the letting agent that you are moving out at end of September unless proper remedial action is taken.

Landlord won't be happy with agent

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

Advertisement