Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Arrows - GAAW

Options
  • 24-08-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Page 26 of the Galway Indo today (24/08/2011)

Red Arrows should not be invited to city - GAAW

Quoting the piece in the paper today the GAAW (whoever they are) warned that public aerial displays by military aircraft are an accident waiting to happen after the death of the Red Arrows pilot (RIP) in the UK recently.

Yes - Flying fast jets is not for the faint hearted. But these guys and girls are the best of the best.

I hope they are back in the sky soon and even better still flying over Galway Bay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

scholar007 wrote: »
    Red Arrows should not be invited to city - GAAW

d_7353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People have strong feelings about this but please try to keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

In fairness, I'd take an Ocean race over airshow. Pretty high incidence of accidents happening. Pretty shocked to read the article about Todd Green's death too. He was also one of the top people in his game. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

is anyone else just sick to the teeth of these people? please add a thanks to this post if you are so we can see how many people feel the same. maybe we can start a counter group called "galway alliance against the GAAW"

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Capt Blackadder

The Galway Alliance Against anything Whatever are your typical rent a cause type. They see anti, they'll be out. Anti-hystamine, and they'll be out with banners.

With regards to counter groups, I wouldn't bother. It'd give them another cause to break out the video cameras to film the oppression of their cause and members.

And if any member is reading this, tell that muppet amongst your number/affiliated group to return that piece of army uniform he swans around in to the gardai. You don't deserve to wear it, and it's illegal for you to do so. I have seen you at Lynches castle at one of those joint rallies condemning Israel, while at the same time petitioning for the release of convicted murderers who happen to be IRA terrorists.

• Advertisement

samdeman wrote: »
    maybe we can start a counter group called "galway alliance against the GAAW"
    I think you'll find reading through old GAAW threads here such a group already exist :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

any chance the mods can merge this with the recent Cults thread ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

bunch of good for nothing layabouts..more in their line to get a job and actually contribute to society..

Actually, I hereby invite GAAW (again, think I've done it before) to respond in this thread or another. I promise they will get their voice heard.

Maybe we could get a dialogue going?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

inisboffin wrote: »
    In fairness, I'd take an Ocean race over airshow. Pretty high incidence of accidents happening. Pretty shocked to read the article about Todd Green's death too. He was also one of the top people in his game. :(

Ocean racing is hardly safe. We have just had a major rescue in the Fastnet.

The solution is simple. Arrange a Red Arrows display. The GAAW can persuade people not to support it & democracy will mean that there is a huge crowd on the Prom. The GAAW go on about democracy in the world but don't want it in Galway.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    maybe we can start a counter group called "galway alliance against the GAAW"
    I think you'll find reading through old GAAW threads here such a group already exist :D

Ah the GAAGAAW. Eventually i guess we'll have to hold a meeting about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Guess it's been a while since they got in the paper for anything, so may as well exploit the tragic death of the red arrows pilot to get some column inches before they fade into complete irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

is anyone else just sick to the teeth of these people?

Naw ...I'm just sick of people starting threads here whinging about GAAW

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

is anyone else just sick to the teeth of these people? please add a thanks to this post if you are so we can see how many people feel the same. maybe we can start a counter group called "galway alliance against the GAAW"

Sandeman,

I would agree with GAAW on a lot of issues, such as the use of Shannon Airport in a 'neutral' country to facilitate US troops on their way to carry out wars in invaded countries.

But even I am sick of how they harp on about the Red Arrows and the Salthill Airshow. They got their way, they got it cancelled, it's all over, the Red Arrows aren't coming back. Move on, folks!

Even if the Airshow did seem to glorify war machines in its last few years, it was organised by well-meaning people who brought tourists into the city for an outdoor spectacular (free of charge, too) long before the Volvo Ocean Race.

Some people in Galway are only happy when they complain over and over again about the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

When are ye guys in the Galway for War group actually going to hold a meeting? It would be great to go along and see the protesters outside.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ah the GAAGAAW. Eventually i guess we'll have to hold a meeting about that!

Not as easy to hold meetings since most of us would have jobs..ehh.ehhh feeding a stereotype there.

I propose waiting for their next meeting. Think they have them in Richardsons..we can have it The Skeff across the road. What could the proposed agenda be though?

item 1. Continue to allow GAAW to shoot themselves in the foot with their BS statements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They only go for the fashionable causes

The Russian navy were off the west coast of Ireland a number of years ago and not a word from GAAW.
    But it's easy to attack the warmongering yanks or RAF I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

celty wrote: »
    Sandeman,

Even if the Airshow did seem to glorify war machines in its last few years, it was organised by well-meaning people who brought tourists into the city for an outdoor spectacular (free of charge, too) long before the Volvo Ocean Race.

Nothing wrong with glorifying these machines. They're wonderful feats of engineering and magnificent to watch.
    Would ya rather these machines be flying over Galway Bay or bombing somebody half a world away? I say keep these machines flying in Galway all year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I hope the Red Arrows are here for next years Volvo Ocean race finale, for me, they were the highlight last time and probably had a bearing on the massive crowds that stretched from the Docks right along to the end of the Prom.
    Important note, being able to have the display over the water makes it very safe for spectators.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Important note, being able to have the display over the water makes it very safe for spectators.

It is an important note. One reason why I've been a bit meh about airshows in the past, is the risk over big crowds and residential areas. The people on the ground haven't chosen to take a risk. Also some shows in the US have jets 'buzz' farmland and houses too, even days before an event, not fun at ALL for livestock or pets. This doesn't seem to happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They buzzed me in their Tight 9 Formation as I was walking out the door of Barna Supervalue with a 99 one year.

Needless to say I ran down the back to see the rest of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

GAAW
    Goodfornothing a$$h0l@s against work?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They buzzed me in their Tight 9 Formation as I was walking out the door of Barna Supervalue with a 99 one year.

Needless to say I ran down the back to see the rest of it :D

Well glad you didn't lose your foal or drop your 99! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

E530DDCC4AA5482FAA3CCEFC29E382DD-0000338914-0002505372-00400L-DE2B055202CB43988D2DE685CC9B4C43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

The Galway Alliance Against anything Whatever are your typical rent a cause type. They see anti, they'll be out. Anti-hystamine, and they'll be out with banners.

With regards to counter groups, I wouldn't bother. It'd give them another cause to break out the video cameras to film the oppression of their cause and members.

And if any member is reading this, tell that muppet amongst your number/affiliated group to return that piece of army uniform he swans around in to the gardai. You don't deserve to wear it, and it's illegal for you to do so. I have seen you at Lynches castle at one of those joint rallies condemning Israel, while at the same time petitioning for the release of convicted murderers who happen to be IRA terrorists.

Well said, sick to the teeth of them!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I don't get how people here can be so against others who are against war. Do ye want war or something?

No, people want to see the airshow and when funding for it dried up they blame GAAW that's been protesting the airshow for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I don't get how people here can be so against others who are against war. Do ye want war or something?

:confused: They're not against war, see absolute silence regarding just about every conflict around(that doesn't involve US/UK/Israel) since their founding.

People were (I thought they disbanded once Obama was elected) sick of them and their illegal occupation of the Advertiser letters page.

biko wrote: »
    No, people want to see the airshow and when funding for it dried up they blame GAAW that's been protesting the airshow for years.
    But it's well known that GAAW had nothing to do with the cancelling of the airshow. I actually admire what they are doing, they believe that something is wrong and they are taking actions to change it. My understanding of the GAAW is that they are not against the airshow just against war planes or planes that resemble war planes like the red arrows taking part in it.

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »
    :confused: They're not against war, see absolute silence regarding just about every conflict around(that doesn't involve US/UK/Israel) since their founding.

People were (I thought they disbanded once Obama was elected) sick of them and their illegal occupation of the Advertiser letters page.

The letters that are shown in the advertiser are chosen by the editors, they are the ones who chose to publish them as it clearly is a hot topic in Galway. America and the UK are what represent imperialism in the Western world, that is the reason I reckon they target those two countries. In a similar way Israel are the imperialists of the middle east.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement